Chance to shoot fully auto weapons CANCELED

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Since this has been up for a while…figured I better make a seperate post.

Hopefully no one drive too far just to find out it’s been canceled!

Dear fellow gun owner:

Our scheduled March 12th fund-raising submachine gun shoot has received a
    lot of attention. Unfortunately, not all of that attention has been good.

The potential–and I must emphasize the word “potential”–for our opponents
    to turn this into an ugly situation has become apparent to me.

While subgun shoots take place all the time, this was first and foremost a
    political event. As such, we are held to a higher standard.

My intention in organizing the shoot was to let you come and shoot some
    expensive and exotic guns and have a good time, and not to get you involved
    in a potentially sticky situation.

Perhaps I’m being overly cautious, but I hope you’ll understand that I’m
    doing so with you in mind.

Therefore, I’ve decided to cancel the shoot.

If you have already mailed a check to the WCCM for the event, I will return
    your check to you uncashed.

Because this event has received such wide publicity, I would appreciate it
    if you would forward this email to everyone you know, and also post it on
    every internet gun-related site you’re aware of. Some people had planned on
    driving great distances, and I want to make sure they’re aware of the
    cancellation.

I’m sure that this is a disappointment for many of you, and I sincerely
    apologize. I hope you’ll understand and appreciate my intentions and my
    concerns.

Thanks,
    Dick Baker
    Treasurer, WCCA, WCCM

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

The antis win again

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

The antis win again

cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

I’m very upset,sounds like your’e given up because (someone might potentially be opposed) I think do it to prove automatic weapons are not just for just killing .

cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

I’m very upset,sounds like your’e given up because (someone might potentially be opposed) I think do it to prove automatic weapons are not just for just killing .

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

sounds like your’e given up because (someone might potentially be opposed)

Just for clarification…this isn’t anything “I” or “we” have anything to do with. It’s a news letter from The Wisconsin Concealed Carry Association that I passed on.

For the record, IMO I don’t know the specifics for them to cancel it, but being a political group that’s been trying to stand up for the 2nd ammendment, I would have to say they would know best. Sadly.

I’ll see if I can find out anymore info.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

sounds like your’e given up because (someone might potentially be opposed)

Just for clarification…this isn’t anything “I” or “we” have anything to do with. It’s a news letter from The Wisconsin Concealed Carry Association that I passed on.

For the record, IMO I don’t know the specifics for them to cancel it, but being a political group that’s been trying to stand up for the 2nd ammendment, I would have to say they would know best. Sadly.

I’ll see if I can find out anymore info.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Here’s the Milwaukee Journal’s story –

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=403791

Quote:
    Drop your weapons!

Plans to use submachine guns to raise money to oust Gov. Jim Doyle have been shot down.

Richard Baker, top dog at the Wisconsin Concealed Carry Movement, thought he could raise a few grand by inviting supporters to TheShooters Shop in West Allis for five hours of target practice, complete with a variety of automatic weapons, a.k.a. submachine guns.

Doyle has twice vetoed measures that would legalize the carrying of concealed weapons in Wisconsin.

“The $40 contribution to the WCCM covers the cost of range time and the use of any or all submachine guns you want to shoot,” said an e-mail from Baker promoting the March 12 event. “Your participation in this event won’t just be fun. It will also make Doyle’s corrupt regime a footnote in history.”

Now there’s a fund-raiser that should fire up the troops.

Baker even pitched the shoot-a-thon as a way to bring families together, to fire a few rounds and to complain about Doyle.

“There is no age limit for those participating, so you’re welcome to bring your sons, daughters, nieces, nephews, etc., as your guests,” the e-mail said. But it added this word of caution: “Please be realistic, though, as to whether your young guests will be able to handle full-auto guns. You know them; we don’t.”

All was going well, with a dozen or so people already signing up. Baker was hoping to attract more than 100 supporters, on his way to raising $60,000 to spend on this year’s governor’s race.

But then fellow firearm fanatic Jim Fendry, head of the Wisconsin Pro-Gun Movement, raised questions about the legality of passing around machine guns that can rip off 800 rounds a minute. Fendry suggested that state law might require each shooter, not just the Green Bay dealer bringing the exotic weapons, to get the blessing of a top law enforcement type.

Baker, who tries to keep a low profile – he wouldn’t even say what he does for a living, fearing it would alienate clients – didn’t want to tempt fate and said he immediately put the kibosh on the rootin’ tootin’ fund-raiser.

“Having that as a fund-raiser for a political action committee puts it into a more political realm,” Baker said. He noted that in the past, he had allowed his customers to fire an “Eliot Ness-type” submachine gun that he used to own. “This is more high profile. I have concerns, very serious concerns, for how Governor Doyle would respond to this. What would he do?”

So the fear of the long arm of the law killed the event – at least that’s Baker’s story, and he’s sticking to it.

But Kevin Nugent, owner of The Shooters Shop, has a different take on why the event was muzzled.

“When we found out this was a political fund-raiser against the governor, I canceled it,” Nugent said, point-blank. “We are non-partisan.”

The gun store is not opposed to submachine guns, or even allowing the weapons to be shared on its firing range. Occasionally, the range is rented out for bachelor or bachelorette parties, where somebody brings a tommy gun or an Uzi to fire off.

Nugent also would be OK with raising cash for the concealed carry movement.

“Obviously, I am for concealed carry. I own a gun store,” Nugent said. “But I like to keep out of the political arena.”

Doyle’s people are smirking a bit as they watch the pair duel. The governor’s handlers will even gladly accept the blame for blowing up the planned event.

“Most sane people would agree that stopping a fund-raiser where they’re nutty enough to hand out machine guns is to the advantage of public safety,” campaign flack Melanie Fonder said Thursday. “Anytime you have the concealed-carry gun lobby lining up against you, you’re doing something right.”

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Here’s the Milwaukee Journal’s story –

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=403791

Quote:
    Drop your weapons!

Plans to use submachine guns to raise money to oust Gov. Jim Doyle have been shot down.

Richard Baker, top dog at the Wisconsin Concealed Carry Movement, thought he could raise a few grand by inviting supporters to TheShooters Shop in West Allis for five hours of target practice, complete with a variety of automatic weapons, a.k.a. submachine guns.

Doyle has twice vetoed measures that would legalize the carrying of concealed weapons in Wisconsin.

“The $40 contribution to the WCCM covers the cost of range time and the use of any or all submachine guns you want to shoot,” said an e-mail from Baker promoting the March 12 event. “Your participation in this event won’t just be fun. It will also make Doyle’s corrupt regime a footnote in history.”

Now there’s a fund-raiser that should fire up the troops.

Baker even pitched the shoot-a-thon as a way to bring families together, to fire a few rounds and to complain about Doyle.

“There is no age limit for those participating, so you’re welcome to bring your sons, daughters, nieces, nephews, etc., as your guests,” the e-mail said. But it added this word of caution: “Please be realistic, though, as to whether your young guests will be able to handle full-auto guns. You know them; we don’t.”

All was going well, with a dozen or so people already signing up. Baker was hoping to attract more than 100 supporters, on his way to raising $60,000 to spend on this year’s governor’s race.

But then fellow firearm fanatic Jim Fendry, head of the Wisconsin Pro-Gun Movement, raised questions about the legality of passing around machine guns that can rip off 800 rounds a minute. Fendry suggested that state law might require each shooter, not just the Green Bay dealer bringing the exotic weapons, to get the blessing of a top law enforcement type.

Baker, who tries to keep a low profile – he wouldn’t even say what he does for a living, fearing it would alienate clients – didn’t want to tempt fate and said he immediately put the kibosh on the rootin’ tootin’ fund-raiser.

“Having that as a fund-raiser for a political action committee puts it into a more political realm,” Baker said. He noted that in the past, he had allowed his customers to fire an “Eliot Ness-type” submachine gun that he used to own. “This is more high profile. I have concerns, very serious concerns, for how Governor Doyle would respond to this. What would he do?”

So the fear of the long arm of the law killed the event – at least that’s Baker’s story, and he’s sticking to it.

But Kevin Nugent, owner of The Shooters Shop, has a different take on why the event was muzzled.

“When we found out this was a political fund-raiser against the governor, I canceled it,” Nugent said, point-blank. “We are non-partisan.”

The gun store is not opposed to submachine guns, or even allowing the weapons to be shared on its firing range. Occasionally, the range is rented out for bachelor or bachelorette parties, where somebody brings a tommy gun or an Uzi to fire off.

Nugent also would be OK with raising cash for the concealed carry movement.

“Obviously, I am for concealed carry. I own a gun store,” Nugent said. “But I like to keep out of the political arena.”

Doyle’s people are smirking a bit as they watch the pair duel. The governor’s handlers will even gladly accept the blame for blowing up the planned event.

“Most sane people would agree that stopping a fund-raiser where they’re nutty enough to hand out machine guns is to the advantage of public safety,” campaign flack Melanie Fonder said Thursday. “Anytime you have the concealed-carry gun lobby lining up against you, you’re doing something right.”

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

These two “journalists” are now on my list.

I told them the truth, every bit. It was an event that was planned but, because Jim Fendry faxed me his copy of the statutes, I decided it was far too risky for even a few thousand dollars.

It was an event that was cancelled because Jim Fendry, I and others decided that the law is too unclear. There was no way I was going to have people show up for an afternoon of fun, only to be arrested by Doyle’s goons.

Notice their description of Fendry. The man has given over 25 years of his life to the pro-gun cause.

Notice, too, that they said I declined to say what I do for a living. I damned well told them what I do, and asked them as gentlemen to not put that in their column. Probably 80% of my clients are anti-gun, and I’ve already been blackballed by some because they found out I was an NRA member and gun-rights supporter.

They agreed to not disclose my occupation. Well, technically they didn’t. They made it sound like I was some Mafia-connected wiseguy.

As for Kevin Nugent, before you pass judgement, please email or PM me. They hung him out to dry as well.

While I don’t believe in kharma, I do believe that a person’s actions eventually come back to haunt them.

These two monkeybutts can burn in Hell.

Dick

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

These two “journalists” are now on my list.

I told them the truth, every bit. It was an event that was planned but, because Jim Fendry faxed me his copy of the statutes, I decided it was far too risky for even a few thousand dollars.

It was an event that was cancelled because Jim Fendry, I and others decided that the law is too unclear. There was no way I was going to have people show up for an afternoon of fun, only to be arrested by Doyle’s goons.

Notice their description of Fendry. The man has given over 25 years of his life to the pro-gun cause.

Notice, too, that they said I declined to say what I do for a living. I damned well told them what I do, and asked them as gentlemen to not put that in their column. Probably 80% of my clients are anti-gun, and I’ve already been blackballed by some because they found out I was an NRA member and gun-rights supporter.

They agreed to not disclose my occupation. Well, technically they didn’t. They made it sound like I was some Mafia-connected wiseguy.

As for Kevin Nugent, before you pass judgement, please email or PM me. They hung him out to dry as well.

While I don’t believe in kharma, I do believe that a person’s actions eventually come back to haunt them.

These two monkeybutts can burn in Hell.

Dick

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Here’s the link to WCCA’s website for more info….

Quote:

Hi, Brian. At this point I feel like I’ve been screwed by both sides.

Here’s a link to some of my comments, and comments from other Wisconsin CCW
    proponents: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=185016

Thanks,
    Dick

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Here’s the link to WCCA’s website for more info….

Quote:

Hi, Brian. At this point I feel like I’ve been screwed by both sides.

Here’s a link to some of my comments, and comments from other Wisconsin CCW
    proponents: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=185016

Thanks,
    Dick

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.