.308 cal Rifle

• brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Hi guys, I’m thinking of buying a used gun ina .308 cal. I’m not real familliar with this caliber. It will be used for deer hunting. Any comments or opinions are appreciated.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I am a reloader and the std 24″ bbl on the Remington CDL really pumps the .308 potential up a notch. But today its pretty much a matter of personal choice, Tikka, Ruger,Browning, Savage etc… If you are on a budget the Stevens 200 absolutely cannot be beat…A tackdriver for $300.

tom_gursky

I am a reloader and the std 24″ bbl on the Remington CDL really pumps the .308 potential up a notch. But today its pretty much a matter of personal choice, Tikka, Ruger,Browning, Savage etc… If you are on a budget the Stevens 200 absolutely cannot be beat…A tackdriver for $300.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

AlvinMack,
    I was surprised with the 200 yd velocity. thought it would at least be up near 2,700. as with any bullet. take your weapon to the range and learn how to shoot it, and learn it’s limitations. then there will be no problems at all. and DO get a good scope to put on your rifle.
    good luck.
    Jack..

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

AlvinMack,
    I was surprised with the 200 yd velocity. thought it would at least be up near 2,700. as with any bullet. take your weapon to the range and learn how to shoot it, and learn it’s limitations. then there will be no problems at all. and DO get a good scope to put on your rifle.
    good luck.
    Jack..

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

The .308 is also the caliber of choice for the M-60 machine gun, and the venerable M-14 which I used for a sniper rifle for years as an MP. We routinely made shots from 500 yards with this round, and that was cheap military “Ball” ammo! You can find military surplus ammo very cheap at many gun shows for plinking. Don’t zero your gun for hunting with these rounds, but it is much cheaper than factory!
    Tuck

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

The .308 is also the caliber of choice for the M-60 machine gun, and the venerable M-14 which I used for a sniper rifle for years as an MP. We routinely made shots from 500 yards with this round, and that was cheap military “Ball” ammo! You can find military surplus ammo very cheap at many gun shows for plinking. Don’t zero your gun for hunting with these rounds, but it is much cheaper than factory!
    Tuck

big_g
    Isle, MN

Tom, I am in the process of ordering a Stevens 200. After reading that Outdoor Life (June/July issue) scored it as a best buy for the buck. Good to hear your comment too !!! Im thinking .270 or 308, any opinion. I already have a Rem 7400 auto in .270, and love its knockdown on deer. I am planning on going out west for Elk, would the 308 be a better fit ? Any insight appreciated.

Big g

big_g
    Isle, MN

Tom, I am in the process of ordering a Stevens 200. After reading that Outdoor Life (June/July issue) scored it as a best buy for the buck. Good to hear your comment too !!! Im thinking .270 or 308, any opinion. I already have a Rem 7400 auto in .270, and love its knockdown on deer. I am planning on going out west for Elk, would the 308 be a better fit ? Any insight appreciated.

Big g

big_g
    Isle, MN

Thanks Alvin, pssst… nobody tell my wife, she’s under the impression that the .270 is a little under gunning for Elk. I don’t know where she got that idea !!!

big g

psssst….Denise, this means you too !!!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Thanks Alvin, pssst… nobody tell my wife, she’s under the impression that the .270 is a little under gunning for Elk. I don’t know where she got that idea !!!

big g

psssst….Denise, this means you too !!!

tom_gursky

They are both very capable.
    The .308 has the capability of shooting a 165gr bullet while the .270 is a flatter shooter using lighter bullets.
    Given the restriction of a Stevens 200’s (22″ barrel), and using factory ammo, I guess I would opt for the .308.

As Al displayed…I would get a good 165gr load…Hornady Interbond or Nosler Partition…maybe one of the new Federal Fusion bullets. You can easily hunt confidently out to 300yds with some time on the practice range…
    Good Luck!

tom_gursky

They are both very capable.
    The .308 has the capability of shooting a 165gr bullet while the .270 is a flatter shooter using lighter bullets.
    Given the restriction of a Stevens 200’s (22″ barrel), and using factory ammo, I guess I would opt for the .308.

As Al displayed…I would get a good 165gr load…Hornady Interbond or Nosler Partition…maybe one of the new Federal Fusion bullets. You can easily hunt confidently out to 300yds with some time on the practice range…
    Good Luck!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.