Suckers

• nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Give me a warm day of spring, lawn chair with the face right in the sun just basking in it’s glory. Light action rod with some worms at the business end, beer in hand, sitting at the mouth or up in the creek a bit that’s dumping warm water into the main river.

Heaven.

Maybe a lil bit out still, but its getting closer everyday. This exact scenario has been on my mind for at least 2 weeks now.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I hear you. Mouth of rice creek used to be one of my favorite spots back in the day. Don’t forget your sunglasses.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

River came up 4″ in the last couple days…sigh…

Wear your sunblock!!

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

Summers worth of cat bait toast

Jon J

CAAAAANT Wait, was thinking about checking on a few spots this weekend. Anybody seen any action yet?

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

I usually wait until it gets considerably warmer out and the creeks are running good. About the time the walleyes are spawning, so maybe about mid April to May. The places I fish have good runs, and, when its good, I can spend an afternoon and get enough cut bait for the summer. Frozen is about as good as fresh and I end up fishing more because I don’t have to worry about spending the time to find or buy suckers. Just get out the vacuum sealer, bag up 20-30 big red horses and whites, and you’re good to go.

Dave maze
    Isanti

Some of my favorite memories are from sucker fishing. Tap tap… wth! Did i just hook a freight train!!?? woot

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

A lot of evenings we would save the last sucker and cut it up. Switch up rods and switch over to channel cats. Make sure to keep a close eye on the cat rod or tie it off. Those cats hit like freight trains this time of year.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.