Sturgeon Bay salmon report

• jerad
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

Well did the annual salmon trip to Sturgeon Bay this last weekend. The fishing was OK, average number was 4 per outing, which is not great but the size made up for it. Fish are deep right now with the 74 degree surface temps. Spoons were shaker magnets, all big fish came on flash/fly and spin-doctors/fly. Biggest was 23 lbs, had a few more over 20 and some in the 15-17 lb range.

Tried a new technique this year, wire dipsys. Man do these really catch fish. We did have a problem keeping the fish hooked on them though. Several times the pole would be thrashing in the holder and you get it out and the fish is gone, or has broken your leader. 50 lb floro wasn’t strong enough, had to go to 80 lb from the dipsy to flasher. We finally figured out that before you grabbed the rod out of the holder to back the drag way off, seemed to work.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_4023-1.jpg

2. IMG_4023.jpg

3. IMG_4029.jpg

4. IMG_4026.jpg

5. IMG_4022.jpg

6. IMG_4020.jpg

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

Are you using snubbers on your dipsy’s? We use the clear 8″ urathane type. Not the latex type that have the inside cord.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Snubbers are an absolute must with wire dipsies.

jerad
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

Yes we had the 8″ urathane type. I believe our gear was being really tested because of the size of the fish this year. We had two break-offs, one took both flasher and fly, other just the fly.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Yes we had the 8″ urathane type. I believe our gear was being really tested because of the size of the fish this year. We had two break-offs, one took both flasher and fly, other just the fly.

I see you also learned to back off the drag before removing the rod from the rod holder. Thats a good idea. Especially when dealing with big fish.
    It also helps to back that drag off to the point where it will slip a click every 10-15 seconds or so while trolling along. Basically set the drag as loose as possible.

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

Nice fish Jerad! Fishing has gotten much tougher in the last couple weeks, and the BIG kings have really given us the slip here in Milwaukee, so glad you got some good ones! I haven’t seen a true 20#r here in over a month now…..

In regards to your dipsy losses. Something doesn’t add up. NO WAY you should be breaking 50# test unless you tighten your drag down with an impact wrench, and use a musky rod! Most guys here are running 30#, even with the big fish this year. Personally, I run 20# and have NEVER (knock on wood) snapped a fish off with that. Ripped\ bent hooks out, sure. But never snapped the line. I’ve landed 9 fish that I’ve weighed over 20#s this year, and most came on the wire, so don’t understand any way that could happen. Is it possible your spool of 50# was bad? (I’ve had it happen before)

Anyways, just trying to help. That’s a true head scratcher for me. Either way, you did nicely! I’ll take quality over quantity any day.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.