Cedar Report 7/30, 31

• sean-lyons
    Waterloo, IA and Hager City Wi.

I was able to get out on the Mighty Cedar for a couple of hours this morning and a couple of hours last night to chase old marbleyes. The plan was to troll cranks, and walter didn’t disappoint. We’re targeting a little deeper water than usual lately, 8-12 FOW, on the rocks, if the baits weren’t cracking the bottom you weren’t getting bit. Trolling speeds were 1.4-1.6, as the flow is still going right along. I pulled a wide variety of cranks the past two days, and the only ones that got bit with any consistency were the JSR 5’s, firecraw and red craw were both good producers for my boat. I’m not seeing the low 20 inch fish that I had been recently, but numbers of eaters made up for that! Some nice smallmouths are also making their presence known recently, both casting and trolling cranks. One thing I noted is that the bite becomes nonexistent on these fish during the midday hours, all of our walleyes were caught early and late. I would expect these fish to continue to bite well as long as the water level stays stable, the clarity could be better, so look for things to improve as the water gets clearer, and go out and get ’em!!!!!!!

sean-lyons

Another eater.

sean-lyons

Another.

sean-lyons

Here’s a bonus bass, all of our fish over the past two days are still swimming!!

sean-lyons

This is a little flattie that had the most amazing coloring I’ve ever seen on a mudcat, don’t think the pic is going to do justice though.

sean-lyons

Last but not least, you wouldn’t be river fishin’ if this guy didn’t come along, the wily goat!!!

superdave
    NE IA

Nice garbage can lid! I had similar results on a similar stream on sunday night. The last hour of light was pretty wild!

blacklab

nice looking fish sean me and a freind are going fishing on the cedar in austin minnesota what are you using down there to catch fish

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Did you catch the sheepie or the flattie on that bass?

Ok..I’ll be nice…but who was taking the photos??

Nice job Sean…and here I thought you only could catch fish on P4.

sean-lyons

Joe was taking the pics, I’d have loved to take one of him, I just can’t con him into catching a fish, he says it’s too much work.

sean-lyons

And the Goat ate the bass, I think the flats are far too discerning to eat those nasty things!

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Nice report and fish Sean. Maybe see ya this weekend????

redneck
    Rosemount

Those are some nice fish by Iowa standards Sean. Pool 4 tends to spoil a guy though!!!!

Doug Bonwell
    Cedar Falls IA

Nice fish! Thanks for the report. It’s ggod to know someone is enjoying life.

sean-lyons

You’re not kidding Rich, we are spoiled, I kept thinking “I’ve spent almost a half a day trolling, where’s my 26″?”

eyetracker
    waterloo Ia

DUDE!!! Them are some outstanding photos Keep us non-fish’, workaholic’s updated. Plan to fish near Mt.aburn and vinton in two weeks. Hope I can come close to even one of your catches ET

andyjcraig
    Iowa City, Iowa

Nice fish Sean! We’ve been getting a few walleyes and a lot of smallmouth in Iowa City lateley. I’ve been wading so I haven’t taken my camera along. Maybe I will next time.

Rugbystar
    Marion, Iowa

Nice fish Sean.

Andy, Smallies in IC? Surely you jest…

andyjcraig
    Iowa City, Iowa

very late reply, but yes smallies in IC. don’t know where they all came from but there’s a bunch in there now. pretty sweet!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.