Open water yet?

• sean-lyons
    Waterloo, IA and Hager City Wi.

Anybody got open water on the mighty Cedar yet? Ice fishin’ is starting to get a little redundant, and I’m pretty sure my retinas are getting burned out from staring at the vex screen. Haven’t caught a walleye since January and I’m starting to get the bug, bad!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Its open below the roller dam here on the south side of town for quite aways, you could get a small jon and a 25 or under in using the ramp. Head downstream about 500 yrds and thats where the holes start and borders the shallows. Lots of gavel bars on the left side of the river and a long limestone shelf on the right side, lots of crawfish and shallow minnows. The deep spot runs about 3 blocks long then goes shallow again down river, lots of walleyes in that hole right now from coming up river for spawn.

skippy783
    Dysart, IA

You decide to hit what open water there is, give me a hollar. My gear’s been put away since early september, and I’m afraid it’s getting lonely.

ducky
    Waterloo, Iowa

Its open behind cattle congress in Waterloo and down to where the crick dumps in. I’m gonna give it a few weeks yet though.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

If anybody goes this weekend post thier results, its getting close now. I think the walleyes can tell a slight fluctuation in what the waters doing from day to day and i’ll bet they can tell a warming trends on its way, might be a good go this weekend.

flatheadsareus

I never got to get out much last year in the spring due to high/dirty water and also being to busy with work and school. However, this fall was very productive, I just wanted to know if I should be using the same methods and baits when fishing for eyes in the spring- jigs/twister tails tubes.. jig/minnow combination.. also I wouldnt mind starting off doing some northern fishing up here as well. Any information would be helpful on either eye info or northern info..

“If we dont release, then we will never be able to catch”

bigesox
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

The guys I know who really know what’s up haven’t been catching any just yet. They tell me that high water will mean good fishing this spring. Of course, they don’t tell me where, but based on the number of 12 inchers in the river last year, this year should be pretty good. Every year somebody takes a 10 pounder. This year I hope it’s me.

walleye_wisdom
    Big Sky Country Helena, MT (Adel, IA home)

bjg- I would use a minnow tipped jig. The current you are fishing decideds what size, but i usually try and get away with the lightest one possible.

For spring northerns, try using dead chubs suspended off the bottom, just letting them sit. Kind of like catfishing in a sense.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.