Stolen Goose Decoys, Just Now in SoDak!!!

• mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

“To the a$$ holes who stole over 100 avain x decoys a pile of GHG full body snow goose dekes outta the spread last night u better hope we don’t find you! Spread the word please! Was a white Chevy mn plates 2 younger guys jump shooting in the area yesterday. Only lead we have. My guess is they drove out n filled a pickup load. Had the choice of both avain x n GHG. Looks like they tried to scab as many of avains as they could n topped it off w/ GHG.”

A quote from my friend from just a bit ago who is snow goose hunting in SoDak. If you know something at some ppoint in time, let me know and I will pass it along to Matt.

Mark

chomps
    Sioux City IA

what area were you near? Brookings, Watertown?

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

chomps:

Trying to find out, got a friend who is out there lying in a field who texted me and asked me to post… I just asked him your question and should be able to answer in a few moments.

Mark

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Get the cops involved on I29 and I90
    Hopefully they don’t have a topper on the truck and can be easily seen

bullcans
    Northfield MN

With that many dekes stolen then a trailer has to be in the mix too I would think

carver
    West Metro

A trailer for sure. Not even a long box with a topper could fit that many with bases.

I wouldn’t be so fast blaming blue platers for stealing deeks unless you got proof.

What I don’t get is this. Why leave the spread in the field if your leaving for the night. If your hunting the same field (not that often we double dip) we sleep in the truck in the field. Or its 2 hrs max to pick up.

It happens just about every year and the same senerio plays out across MO, SD and others someone will learn sooner or later.

Where exactly where you?

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

Were any of them marked some way.? Like your initials or name or marked with x or something.?… …rrr

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Sorry, got to go to lunch… He is SW of Brooking and west of Souix Falls…

Mark

I’m up by Huron I’ll keep my eyes on craigslist and ask around

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

What I don’t get is this. Why leave the spread in the field if your leaving for the night. If your hunting the same field (not that often we double dip) we sleep in the truck in the field. Or its 2 hrs max to pick up.

Ummm….picking up 2,000-3,000 decoys just to put them out in the morning seems a little foolish to me. That’s at minimum an extra 5-6 hours of work every night. Also, it’s nice to sleep in a bed rather than the backseat of your truck.

I’ve thankfully never had a problem with leaving out decoys. Heck when we got into a good traffic field, I’d leave them for a week.

There are a lot of scumbags out there, it’s too bad when you hear of this happening.

sktrwx2200

Sioux Falls and Brookings are 60 miles away from each other. Not sure how you can be SW of Brookings and West of SF? A more detailed whereabouts would help you guys in your search.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

there’s profession guide services which follow the migration, I’d be hard pressed to blame a single truck and this area gets a bunch of traffic. Your on the right track to get the word out, there’s a couple Facebook profiles of South Dakota guide services to which you guys could post the description, kind of specific area, and what everyone needs to be on the look out for. Let us know.

carver
    West Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Carver wrote:</div>

Ummm….picking up 2,000-3,000 decoys just to put them out in the morning seems a little foolish to me. That’s at minimum an extra 5-6 hours of work every night. Also, it’s nice to sleep in a bed rather than the backseat of your truck.

I do as well. I guess my style of snow goose hunting isn’t sitting in the same field day after day either, which means we are picking up and scouting for the next day, every day.

Also pending where we hunt the time wasting driving to the hotel can get us an extra 2 hours of sleep in the truck.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.