St Croix No Wake

• steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Well this is familiar. St Croix will be at No Wake by Monday, 16 March. River is Open from the Boomsite upstream and from Beanies to the Hudson Swing Bridge. I’ve got the itch bad.

Attachments:
    1. Elevation-March-13.png

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’m no St. Croix guy. I don’t fish it whatsoever and haven’t been on it since my college years (when fishing was not the priority, but alcohol and girls were).

When it is at no wake, is it enforced quite well? I’ve always wondered how that process goes. Also, do any anglers actually want it at no wake to minimize traffic or does it make it too difficult to get from spot to spot at idle?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Upper part of the river from the high bridge to the dam at taylors falls is always no wake. This has no effect on that section of river. Good news is high water lets us get our boats to parts of the river we usually can’t get to.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

When it is at no wake, is it enforced quite well? I’ve always wondered how that process goes. Also, do any anglers actually want it at no wake to minimize traffic or does it make it too difficult to get from spot to spot at idle?

Enforcement when no wake. IF they are out it’s enforced. Generally speaking if it’s in no wake, the LEO’s go other places so at the end of the day, I think most would agree it’s not enforced.

Each person will give a different answer to your second question.
    Personally I love the river wide no wake zone when fishing. Tuna boats are almost non existent not only because of the no wake but because gas docks can’t pump out waste water or pump fuel.

If a person launches close to where they’re fishing, it’s no big deal. However many anglers choose to launch at the ramp they always launch at (and those are the ones that fly down the river).

I think Steve will agree that there are far more fishing type boats that don’t follow the no wake rule then tuna boats. But then again there are way more fishing boats out then tuna boats. More so now as we haven’t had a tuna hatch yet.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

I agree with Brian. No Wake is enforced when LEO are around. The No Wake restriction by itself seems to keep a lot of boats off the water. They just don’t want to putt putt from spot to spot.
    I also personally like No Wake mainly because it slows everything down. To me it makes the fishing experience a little more enjoyable. You are still going to see boats flying around but it’s like driving down the highway – some people drive the speed limit and others just go fast. Just move over and let them go by – the faster they go the faster they are gone.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I took a drive up (by car) the Minnesota side from Taylors Falls North past Wild Mountain. River was pretty much open where I could see it. I’m assuming that stretch would also be No Wake?

dbright
    Cambridge

Above the dam is not affected by the no wake down river. I took a drive checking lands a little further north with all of them still iced up with very little open water.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Also, do any anglers actually want it at no wake to minimize traffic or does it make it too difficult to get from spot to spot at idle?

Not me.

I would take WOT tuna boats any day over no-wake.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.