Spooling line on a inline reel.

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

This is my first time trying a inline reel. When spooling line on the reel, do you level load the backing and line, or do you simply reel it on and let it all just center load? The 1st problem I found with the NO 8 tackle CGI reel was the tendency for the line to jump off the edge of the reel when pulling or feeding line off the reel. Not sure if this is a issue with just this model or with all in line reels in general. I’m sure it is just a matter of getting use to it and controlling the fall rate with the adjustment. I have not tried it in actual fishing conditions just played with it off the deck.

ElFuegoOnIce

I leveled my line. I fished in about 5 feet of water last week and found it was best to tighten the tension on the spool and pull line out from the tip. I was using small tear drops for gills though.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I leveled my line. I fished in about 5 feet of water last week and found it was best to tighten the tension on the spool and pull line out from the tip. I was using small tear drops for gills though.

That would work well in shallow water but most of my panfish fishing is done in deeper water where I’d like to be able to get the bait back down to the fish as fast as possible. I’m sure I just need to fine tune the fall rate setting to get the bait back down as fast as possible without the risk of the overrun and it jumping the edge of the spool.

Wharf Rat
    Mahtomedi

This is my first time trying a inline reel. When spooling line on the reel, do you level load the backing and line, or do you simply reel it on and let it all just center load? The 1st problem I found with the NO 8 tackle CGI reel was the tendency for the line to jump off the edge of the reel when pulling or feeding line off the reel. Not sure if this is a issue with just this model or with all in line reels in general. I’m sure it is just a matter of getting use to it and controlling the fall rate with the adjustment. I have not tried it in actual fishing conditions just played with it off the deck.

I got rid of my inline reels for this very reason. I spent more time untangling line from the gears than I did fishing with those things. I was probably doing something wrong, but I asked Frabill about it and they offered no useful advice, so I gave up. Spin reels are foolproof and work just fine for me. That is all I use anymore.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.