Anybody Been Out Yet?

• bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Has anyone been out on the lake yet? If so how are you doing and what are you catching fish on? Spring is always exciting as we have waited all winter for it to get here. Even if we ice fish its just not the same when on open water. [to me atleast]. Good luck this year guys and hope to hear about how you do on the water. We ALL learn from each others sharing so please feel free to share and post all you want.
    Thanks, Bill

shaley
    Milford IA

I won’t put the boat on till eye opener. If this weather warms up I’ll chase some crappies in Templar and the Grade. If it stsys cold might be ice fishing again here real soon.

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

I HEARD THERE’S A 17-20 SLOT THIS YEAR. THOSE EYES MUSTA REALLY GREW ON THOSE SPOTTAIL SHINERS.

shaley
    Milford IA

Slot is 17″ to 22″ to protect the females for brooding. They did drop the 14″ minimum that I don’t agree with but nothing I can do about it now. Hope in a couple years a good perentage of a days catch are those slot fish, sure will be fun.

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

A FRIEND OF MINE WORKS FOR THE DNR AND SAID THOSE 14 3/4 INCHERS THAT WERE SO PLENTIFUL LAST YEAR NOW ARE 17-20 INCHES. ALOT OF THE FISH I CAUGHT LAST OCT-NOV. WERE ABOUT 19 INCHES. I THINK IT WILL BE ALOT OF FUN THIS YEAR AND DON’T THINK THERE ARE ALOT OF “DINKS”. THE DNR IN SPIRIT LAKE ARE ON TOP OF THIS. I’M MORE WORRIED ABOUT THE DEATH LOSS DUE TO “GUT HOOKING”.LAST YEAR WHEN THE BITE WAS ON I SAW ALOT OF 14 3/4 INCHERS FLOATING. I WOULD OF RATHER SEEN THEM TAKEN HOME THAN FEEDING THE TURTLES.

IAcrankbait

Mixed feelings on the slot here. What do we want when we go to Spirit Lake? I feel eater fish have been and still will be easy enough to get. My own, UNEDUCATED opinion, would be to set the high end of the slot up to 25-27″ if we really want to protect the bigger fish. Personally I don’t want anything over 20″ unless it will win a tourney or set a state record. I will however, eat a 13″ fish if its legal. As I said above its my own uneducated standard for the new slot this year.
    IAcrankbait

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

I DON’T THINK THERE ARE MANY FISH IN THAT SIZE GROUP.I FISHED SPIRIT LAST YEAR HARD AND CAUGHT LESS THAN A HANDFULL OF BIG FISH. BUT CAUGHT HUNDREDS OF THE YEARCLASS FISH THE DNR ARE TRYING TO PROTECT. I’M SURE THERE WILL BE PLENTY OF KEEPERS AVAILABLE FOR FRYING. I THINK IT’LL BE FUN CATCHING FISH OTHER THAN DINKS.

shaley
    Milford IA

I fish Spirit alot and see and catch many over 20″ fish every year. I do find it hard to belive a fish will grow 6″ in a year. I personaly still wont keep any under 14 1/2″ just me is all. Out of 160 keepers we kept last year only 1 over 17″ went home with us the wifes personal best 5 pound male. We released over 200 that were leagle fish but still under my keeper range. Released 43 over 20″

IAcrankbait

Spent the Weekend rechecking everything on the boat and charging batteries. I also had a few new Husky Jerks follow me home and will tie a couple more spinners this week too. This work week can’t get over fast enough

DonJ
    LeMars,IA

Been ready here. Going to Storm Lake tomorrow and plan to be on Spirit before sunrise on Sat.
    Shaley, I’ll be looking for fishermen wearing tuxedos.

shaley
    Milford IA

We got the ok from the bride to be to be out till noonish Sat. 4 guys in an old 175 Trophy alumacraft with walleye stickers on the side.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.