Snowmobile Trailer Advice Needed

• PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

I picked up my first sled recently and am now looking for a trailer to tote it around. I am in need of advice of those who own one. I live in the city and have an alley garage that is 106″ wide. I am exploring both 8×12 drive on/off snowmobile trailers and 7×12 utility trailers with wood decking. I’m looking for something that I can use year round and is not dedicated to snowmobiling. Right now I’m leaning towards the utility trailer, are there any pros and cons I should be aware of? My concerns with the snowmobile trailer are that I only have 4 inches of extra space to get it in the garage and also that it will be tight getting it down the alley in the winter. However , for short trips around town I could put both my ice house and snowmobile on the trailer. Advice is much appreciated.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Keep in mind the utility trailer may have the fenders that add to the width where as most snowmobile trailers have the tires below the deck.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Why not a single wide snowmobile trailer? They are not as common but would be a bunch narrower and may be your best choice.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I have a Floe single place All-Terrain trailer, works great for a single snowmobile and has a small garage footprint because the tires are under the trailer, not on the sides. The trailer is 10′ long and about 53″ wide, I have since sold my sled and purchased a Grizzly 4 wheeler. I can fit that and an Otter cabin on it at the same time, so no longer need to store the flip over in the vehicle, makes loading/unloading by myself a breeze.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Beware of the cheaper galvanized steel trailers (if the utility trailer is) and using it in winter time. I bought one to be a multipurpose trailer, one of those uses being hauling the ATV for ice fishing, after 4 years I spent last fall stripping off what paint was left, and the rust and coating the whole thing with truck bed liner. The salt on the roads did a number on the powder coat (once the rust started getting in behind it it was coming off in sheets) and started rusting the trailer real quick.

I really like it now with the truck bed liner on it, but if I could re-do I would have just spent the extra dough on an aluminum trailer from the start. (Or at least a higher quality steel one).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.