WX 2000T: first impressions

• jhalfen

Let me start with a simple, one-word statement: WOW!

This week was my first chance to get some dedicated time on Skeeter’s 20-foot tiller, the WX 2000T. My experiences in the boat were a side benefit to working with the Chippewa County (WI) Sheriff’s office and their Dive/Rescue team as part of their Humminbird Side Imaging orientation.

My immediate impression was one of the vast, and I do mean VAST, amount of open space in this boat. My recent boating past includes a side-console 17 foot tin boat, and a pair of 18.5 foot glass boats with either a walk-through windshield or a double-bubble configuration (as is found in the Skeeter WX 1880 I’m running in the FLW Walleye League). With those consoles gone, this 20-foot boat sports acres of open area, both in the rear of the boat where the 3 pedestal seats are, as well as on the front deck. It seemed like a helicopter could comfortably land on that deck. I can easily envision a pair of anglers hucking the big lumber for muskies from that deck. Here’s a shot of the deck….pardon Dan Meyer’s shoes, he didn’t want to get them all sandy when we beached the boat.

jhalfen

The command center of this tiller boat has a very convenient layout. Gauges are easy to find and read, even at speed. Because of the layout of the command center and the mounting position of our Humminbird electronics, it’s easy for more than one angler to study and interpret the graphs.

corey-studer

SAweeet!

Jason – Is that some sort of RAM rest below the bird on top of “other” flat mounting area? I suppose with the larger untits, you do not want them bouncing on top of that surface. Now you can mount on top of that surface as well for electronics, right? I would think that might be a nice option for those that don’t have monkey arms…

jhalfen

There’s been an active discussion here about power choices for the WX 2000T. While the boat is rated for 150 HP, the stock motor that is currently available is the Yamaha F115.

With 2 guys in the boat (myself and Dan Meyer), we hit 40 mph effortlessly. With three in the boat (me, Dan, and Lt. Mitch Gibson), we hit 39 downwind and 37 upwind. While we didn;t time the hole shot or time to plane, both were VERY good, especially considering that all of the weight from passengers was in the back of the boat. I’d consider hole shot to be much better than my old Crestliner/115 4-stroke package. With 3 guys in the boat, my idle forward speed was 2.1 mph, easy enough to cut down for slow presentations with drift socks. Although I’ve been a kicker fan for a number of years, I really don’t think a kicker would be necessary in this particular boat.

jhalfen

As a wheel boat guy, I was very conscious of the amount of engine torque in the tiller handle. While I had to make use of the little “torque limiter” adjustment at idle speeds, operation on plane was a breeze….truly effortless.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Showin off the legs, eh. Interisting reports the last few days on the diving and the boat.

jhalfen

From a guide’s perspective, I LOVED this boat. Room for guys and gear is more than abundant….it’s extravagant. The fuel-efficient 115 will keep gas costs down, much more so than the 175-200 HP models I’ve been running recently. The low profile defeats wind and waves on the water, and trailers beautifully when driving to and from the launch. All this, without the price premium of other 20-foot fiberglass tillers.

Although I’ve been a wheel boat guy for a number of years, I am very strongly considering this WX 2000T as my next guide boat. Whether you’re an “old school” tiller walleye guy, or a “lumber hucker” who chases big toothy critters, you should think carefully about the WX 2000T as well.

Skeeter Boat Center in Chippewa Falls has two WX 2000T’s in stock and available for test drives. Drop me or Dan Meyer, manager of Skeeter Boat Center, a line, and we’ll be happy to take you our for a LONG spin. I’ll bring the fishing rods along, so you can see for yourself how it fishes!

jhalfen

Quote:

SAweeet!
    Jason – Is that some sort of RAM rest below the bird on top of “other” flat mounting area? I suppose with the larger untits, you do not want them bouncing on top of that surface. Now you can mount on top of that surface as well for electronics, right? I would think that might be a nice option for those that don’t have monkey arms… :
    grin:

That block is a custom machined rest that Skeeter Boat Center installs as part of their Humminbird (and other) electronics installations. The RAM ball closest to the head unit essentially sits on that rest, stabilizing the entire assembly.

Electronics can be mounted on that white surface, but mounting them on the reinforced black surface (as is shown here) is how Skeeter Boat Center is doing it.

KirtH
    Lakeville

You are right about a tiller boat, lotsa room to move around in, I watched tose guys backtrolling at Leech and Bemdji in the wind at the thought crossed my mind.

I got a chance to fish out of David Andersons 21′ Warrior with a 225 Merc WOWZA what a ride, 55mph in the open, kind of like strapping a chair to the hood of your truck and going down the highway, word of advice Jason dont smile or talk at those speeds if you do bring a tooth pick to pick out the bugs

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

Jason – nice report. I jumped back in a tiller this year. 2004 Ranger 618T w/ Etech 90 hp. Nothing better then sitting over fish or moving slowly waiting for that “tap, tap” I’m here….

This rig sure sounds like a sweet one and the hole shot with the F115 is amazing.

Did that rig have power steering? Thoughts?

At some point I’m going to have to catch a ride in an WX2000T.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Hey Jason,

Not to side-track your thread but how does this stack up against the WX 1790T for hole-shot and top speed? With the 75hp Yam on the smaller boat are you able to achieve similar performance numbers?

Thanks,
    Pete

jhalfen

Pete, my top end on the 1790/75 combo is 32-33 with 3 people in the boat. Bottom end trolling speed is right around 2, with fine adjustment possible because the 75 has the VTS handle. Hole shot is good…better than I expected….but I have no hard numbers to back it up.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Interesting, thanks for the info. Those numbers are about what I expected.

The 1790T seems like a perfect multispecies boat with a lot of room at a very attractive price. From what I gather the storage and compartments are very different between the two boats?

jhalfen

Yep, the layouts and storage do differ between the two boats. However, both remain very fishable. I was surprised how much room 3 people had to fish from the 1790.

We can take both boats for a spin sometime so you can check out the differences for yourself.

Bob Bowman
    MN

That is one sweet looking ride.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

We can take both boats for a spin sometime so you can check out the differences for yourself.

I’ll have to take you up on that offer sometime Jason.

The 1790T seems like a fishing boat, the 2000T seems like a fishing vessel and or dance-floor on water

Thanks again for the write-up J

jhalfen

Quote:

the 2000T seems like a fishing vessel

All it’s missing is a crab pot launcher and sorting table.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

Quote:

the 2000T seems like a fishing vessel

All it’s missing is a crab pot launcher and sorting table.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

Pete, Skeeter Boat Center still has one of the 2009 Skeeter catalog 1790T photo boats available. It is available for test drives today.

Don’t tempt me now

Dan Meyer and I have talked, I shouldn’t be seriously thinking about buying anything until after Dec and I’m done with college

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Quote:

Quote:

Pete, Skeeter Boat Center still has one of the 2009 Skeeter catalog 1790T photo boats available. It is available for test drives today.

Don’t tempt me now

Dan Meyer and I have talked, I shouldn’t be seriously thinking about buying anything until after Dec and I’m done with college

Pete, if you have any questions about the 1790t, Ive had one for 5 years now so I think I could answer any questions you might have.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Don’t tempt me now

Pete, if you have any questions about the 1790t, Ive had one for 5 years now so I think I could answer any questions you might have.

Thanks! I might here in a few months

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.