Skeeter boat weight

• Bob putter

Can someone explain why skeeter boats are so heavy? I’m looking to buy a 18 ft bass boat and I’m looking at skeeter, basscat, and Phoenix. Skeeter 18ft is 1725 pounds dry weight, Phoenix is 1500, basscat is 1215. The basscat is so light bc it’s an all fiberglass hull. There is no composite wood on it. And composite wood is heavy. I can’t find on Info on why skeeter boats are so heavy! Thanks in advance.

brentbullets

Does Skeeter still run aluminum stringers from the transom through the length of the hull? Don’t think that would add that much more weight but would add some I imagine, I could e wrong though on the additional weight.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Since it automatically comes with the SHO VF150, I wonder if that weight includes the outboard?

HRG

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

There are philosophical differences on engineering and build process. Wish I could type enough here to fully explain everything…. however there is a balance between driving full throttle wide open with little to no effort vs speed only based. I would encourage you to drive all 3 and believe its the only way to get the entire picture…… No wood in the skeeter, just more glass and foam.

If weight is your only consideration, then you probably have already made your decision…..

Bob putter

Of course it’s not the only consideration. That’s a conclusion you drew. But on water performance aside. Towing over 500 more pounds for the same sized boat is a big deal

haleysgold
    SE MN

Take those 3 boats for a ride on a nice breezy day with some decent rollers rockin.
    You’ll be suprised how obvious the choice will be…if you’re looking for the smoothest ride.
    Let me know what you think of that light boat in big waves!
    whistling

MnPat1

Different Techniques Are the reason for weight difference. Resin infusion is a far better process then conventional methods. Using a vacuum allows for the right amount of resin which makes for a stronger lighter and more consistent Hull.
    Bass cats are known to be some of the best riding hulls in rough water.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Of course it’s not the only consideration. That’s a conclusion you drew. But on water performance aside. Towing over 500 more pounds for the same sized boat is a big deal

I draw zero conclusions Bob, just trying to give you input on your post. Best of luck regardless of your decision!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.