Shore fishing spot

• Clay Treece

I’m relatively new to Minnesota and I’ve only ever fished small lakes. To be honest I’m kinda intimidated to launch the boat in the river until I get a little more comfortable with it. I’m looking for a decent spot to shore fish. Not asking for anyone’s secret spot but if someone could point me in the general area it would be much appreciated.

Clay Treece

I accidentally posted this twice. Sorry. I’m new and still learning the ropes

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Whereabouts do you live? There’s really no need to travel long distances on the Mississippi to find good shore fishing areas. I know some places in the Coon Rapids area if you are near there.

Clay Treece

Whereabouts do you live? There’s really no need to travel long distances on the Mississippi to find good shore fishing areas. I know some places in the Coon Rapids area if you are near there.

I’m not far from Coon Rapids. I’m in Maple Grove. Thanks!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I used to fish the Coon Rapids Dam on the CR side just below the spillway. It’s where I learned to pitch jigs and catch walleyes. There’s all kinds of fish to be found at the dam area. Basically everything below the dam. Find deeper eddy or slack water areas near the current.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

The only thing about launching this year with the boat is depth. The river level is unseasonably low so anywhere north of Pool 2 is really shallow.

I don’t know many shore spots up there. If you want to venture south there is good shore fishing at hidden falls park in St Paul from the launch to the dam. Right now the night bite will start to pickup til it freezes. The shoreline along Fort Snelling can also be good depending how far you wanna walk.

Read through the P2 reports, too. Some good info in there.

Good luck.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

the river can be intimidating but pick a day outside a weekend and you will have the river mostly to yourself to figure out. I do this in spring and fall because I hate traffic on the water so i take days off work that are cold and rainy and that usually takes care of the crowds. there is a lot of shoreline along the river but getting to it can be a challenge. I’m on P4 and if i was going to find a shore spot on P4, I would go to Hoksila park on that beach and toss out a float with a big minnow or creek chub at dusk. super sharp break into deep water and there is so much bait that there has to be predator fish in there non stop. its Pepin and not the river but walleye are in the lake and the river year round.

Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

If you want good smallmouth action, check out the Mississippi up in the Monticello area. The nuclear plant dumps warm water all year and the fish congregate in that couple mile stretch of river. It’s a very popular stretch on those weekends it gets above freezing in the winter, but the action and size of fish can be awesome if the fish aren’t too spooked.

Clay Treece

What kind of anchor do you use? I had a good friend a few years back on the TN River that had a tragic accident. They were just above the dam and the big motor broke down and the trolling motor wasn’t strong enough to move through the current and unfortunately they either didn’t have an anchor or it wouldn’t hold the boat and it ended up being a very tragic ending. I would want to make sure I had an anchor that would hold no matter what.

the river can be intimidating but pick a day outside a weekend and you will have the river mostly to yourself to figure out. I do this in spring and fall because I hate traffic on the water so i take days off work that are cold and rainy and that usually takes care of the crowds. there is a lot of shoreline along the river but getting to it can be a challenge. I’m on P4 and if i was going to find a shore spot on P4, I would go to Hoksila park on that beach and toss out a float with a big minnow or creek chub at dusk. super sharp break into deep water and there is so much bait that there has to be predator fish in there non stop. its Pepin and not the river but walleye are in the lake and the river year round.

Clay Treece

If you want good smallmouth action, check out the Mississippi up in the Monticello area. The nuclear plant dumps warm water all year and the fish congregate in that couple mile stretch of river. It’s a very popular stretch on those weekends it gets above freezing in the winter, but the action and size of fish can be awesome if the fish aren’t too spooked.

Thanks so much for the info. I’ll definitely try that out!

Deuces

Lots of good info so far. Most all public parks up this way where you can get to the river have some fish. Youre at a time of year rn you’ll want to find the deeper holes, which is typically on the bends. Especially with the low water have to find some current.

Figuring out current and current seams is crucial. Monticello in waders is good, feel how the current lightens up behind boulders, seams are created behind islands, eddys form from the slightest of shore abutments.

Coon rapids dam is lowest I’ve seen ever, not many fish going to hold there rn. Spring can be fun with good timing, good luck with the mass of other anglers tho.

Confluence of the rum and crow rivers can be good, where elm creek spillway can be good, honestly every place has its time where it can be good if it has some structure to it. I’ve caught walleyes and smb at most every public park from mpls to Monticello over the years. It’s all timing.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

What kind of anchor do you use? I had a good friend a few years back on the TN River that had a tragic accident. They were just above the dam and the big motor broke down and the trolling motor wasn’t strong enough to move through the current and unfortunately they either didn’t have an anchor or it wouldn’t hold the boat and it ended up being a very tragic ending. I would want to make sure I had an anchor that would hold no matter what.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eyeguy507 wrote:</div>

the flow up by the dam isn’t too bad in the fall, it’s spring when it picks up. i never use an anchor just spotlock. i only fish below the dam on P3

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eyeguy507 wrote:</div>

I can’t think of a single reason you would fish above a dam like that on the Mississippi. Sorry to hear about the accident but I wouldn’t foresee that happening on this stretch.

Most guys running a TM with spot lock versus an anchor. Then you have a backup anchor if you have an issue. River spike is a good one. Maybe one of the catfish guys will chime in and they tend to run anchors more.

Mike Otis

I unfortunately haven’t upgraded to spot lock yet, so I still use an anchor. I use a Seachoice utility anchor with a slip ring shank, and two feet of chain. The chain is a must.

I’ve had great results with it.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

kind of anchor

Cat river anchor. 20#.

It held a 40′ houseboat on the highest water day in past 5 years, while blowing 40mph… so yeah it holds my 17′ boat nice and snug.

You should read: mn dnr Mississippi river guide

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.