Shore fishing plastic

• Reed

So I rented a cabin over mea and I dont have a boat. im going to do some shore fishing for walleye and am going give swimbaits a try. I’ve never shore fish for walleye and was wondering if its best to cast out past the weed line and retrieve in or would it be better to cast out parallel to the weed line/break line and retrieve back a long that edge. Any tips would be appreciated.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Try both approaches. A simple ballhead jig and a 3″-4″ Twister tail has caught a lot of walleyes over the years. Black, white, chartreuse. I’d fish this right at sunset and for another half hour. Real early morning would be another good time, a half hour before sunrise and the next half hour. I personally would like the evening bite.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I’d agree with Tom. I’d have a few crankbaits with you too. Something with a little rattle.

What phase will the moon be in? I’ve found that clear nights with a big moon and they will move shallow all night long. They’re feeding so get something in front of them and they’ll bite.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Moon should be near the dark side.

Deuces

Inside weedlines, cranks. I’d start with no rattles, then go to rattles.

Probably wouldnt be casting as much out, but more parallel with shore.

Reed

yeah, there is a new moon on the 16th so there won’t be much moon light out there.
    Thanks for the tips everyone.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I know this sounds contradictory Reed, but fish something black late in the evening.

catmando
    wis

1/8 oz white twister tale with a beetle spin spinner , has caught me one heck of a lot of walleye. DK.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I know this sounds contradictory Reed, but fish something black late in the evening.

I like dark colors at night if it’s clear. Fish can see the the silhouette of the bait better.

Cody Meyers

The bait I’ve got the most confidence in while fishing from shore for walleyes is a long minnow style crankbait. My favorite was any black colored rattlin Rogue, we always fished them at sunset and liked to stay late. If you can find an inlet/outlet, windy point, or rip tap shoreline you’d be in good shape.

buschman
    Pool 2

The bait I’ve got the most confidence in while fishing from shore for <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleyes is a long minnow style crankbait. My favorite was any black colored rattlin Rogue, we always fished them at sunset and liked to stay late. If you can find an inlet/outlet, windy point, or rip tap shoreline you’d be in good shape.

I would second this!!! Husky Jerks and Rouges. You want a long minnow style bait that suspends. Pull and pause the bait!!! Dark is good. Gold with a black back and orange belly would be my first choice.

Reed

Sounds great! Thank you everyone!!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.