Shopping for a 9mm

• brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

I’m not well versed in the handgun category. What do you guys recommend for a quality, budget-wise 9mm? Any and all replies appreciated!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Man I wish it was as easy as that Brian!

Is it going to be a carry gun?
    If so are you going to carry 24/7 or just occasionally?
    Is it more for home protection?
    Budget to me is $200. What is budget-wise to you?

Let’s start there and then dial in. )

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I like my FNH FNS-9. Not sure what your budget is though.

Are you looking for a hammer or striker fired?

tucrs
    NW Metro

$500 you can get a few guns, Glock, Springfield, Smith and Wesson.
    Those are the big three.

Go to your local gun shop try a few out, see what fits.

Are you looking at a carry gun or a range plinker?

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Haha. This is like asking what rod to buy to pitch jigs.

I have the Beretta PX4 Storm Compact. Nice shooting gun. I don’t carry it a lot so hard for me to comment on the comfort factor.

If you can, find a local gun shop or buddies to go shoot with. Try them out and see what fits your paw best.

Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

My Kahr PM9 is a nice CC gun. The Kahr CM9 is nearly identical to the PM9 but costs $200 less. Differences are regular vs match grade barrel, pinned front sight, less machining on the slide and comes with one mag instead of two. Their is also an extended magazine available for either if you’ve got big paws like me. Big selling point is it has a good trigger.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

If looking for a real budget, I picked up a Hi-Point (45) last summer. They also sell 9mm. Less than $200, I’m not a handgun connoisseur but I’m sure its not on the high end of quality, but I’ve had no issues with it. I did have a small issue the first time with the slide not wanting to cycle, but a good cleaning and a little gun oil and it hasn’t been a problem since. Definitely NOT a (concealed) carry gun, its a bit bulky, but fits my hand well. For home defense range is going to be so close having a real tack driver is irrelevant, but I can’t complain about its accuracy.

I was originally thinking I’d have to drop $500+ on one as well, but for my needs (home defense and to carry while bow hunting in case I meet the 1 in 10 bear that doesn’t want to run away (hence the 45)) this one works just fine and less than half the cost I thought I’d have. Now long term cost (parts breaking etc) I cannot speak to since its been not quite a full year. But if you looking for something more easily conceal-able, this gun isn’t it.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

X2 on Brian K’s comments. Without a little more background it’s going to be hard to give a quality answer.

On the cash side, there are a number of really good choices for striker fired from $500-$650. I’ll second the FN-FNS9 from above, Glock 17/19, S&W M&P/Shield, and Sprinfield XD series are some worth looking at. I like my FN-FNS but more people go with the Glock 19 and it’s hard to argue against.

For hammer fired options in the 9mm I’m not as well versed. I picked up my FN a year ago and was specifically looking for striker guns. I’ve heard good things on that Beretta Storm. I’m a huge H&K fan but no one would ever call them budget conscious.

Kooty had some other really good advice and I’ll steal some of it.
    What’s your main use?
    What options are in your price range?
    Go see what fits your hand.
    Then you’ll have the field narrowed down.

Here’s how I ended up with FN
    Main use: Target, fun, possible home defense (ruled out subcompacts and many compacts)
    Price range: $600’ish(ruled out HK and Sigs)
    Other factors: had a hammer fired HK USP in a .40, wanted a striker in a 9mm. Wanted more than just the trigger safety(ruled out Glocks)
    What fits: Springfield XD and FN were the two main options. Springfield XDm grips were too large
    FN FNS 9 fit my hand the best. After having it for a while, I’m still happy!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Lots of options in the 9mm category depending on your needs and budget.

As a suggestion, if you haven’t shot handguns a lot before, a .22 rimfire is a great way to get your practice cheap. A .22 is lower cost to acquire and with the cost of ammo these days it provides much cheaper practice. It takes a lot of practice to be able to shoot a handgun well.

I don’t have any problem picking up any rifle and shooting it fairly well, but with a handgun I can REALLY tell when I haven’t been practicing. I shoot a Contender handgun for deer and have for over 10 years now. Every time I pick up the handgun to get ready for the season, it’s a reminder that I don’t “stay” good with a handgun. If I don’t shoot, I start sliding downhill.

Grouse

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Bills Gunshop and Range have a wide variety of handguns to rent. Much less expensive then buying the wrong one. I haven’t been there in a while, but the rent would go towards the purchase of a weapon from them.

Some of the Glocks have a converter barrel where they will shoot .22’s to try and keep the costs down…if there’s .22 ammo available.

Personally, I practice with as close to a round as I carry, but that’s up to the individual as well.

deertracker

I’ll start by saying I’m a huge Glock fan. I will follow that by saying that I feel the current Glock lines are to bulky for conceal carry. They are coming out with a single stack 9 if it is not out already. Right now I carry a Ruger LC9 on my ankle while working for a back-up and on the hip for an off duty gun. I have a lot of friends that carry the Smith Shield.
    DT

CJ

I have a Remington 870 in the bedroom closet and a Kimber TLE-RL2 .45 that I keep in a lock box in my nightstand for home defense. I carry the Kimber on occasion, but it is heavy. My main carry pistol is a Sig P938. I DON’T leave my home without it. It is very light and concealable, yet extremely accurate and dependable. It also has a price tag that starts around $750 new, but quality isn’t free. If you are going for home defense, you can’t beat a pump shotgun. When your adrenaline is pumping, a gun that doesn’t need a marksmans aim can and will be a life saver.

When buying a pistol, another thing to ask yourself is how many rounds does the gun need to hold? If you are using it for home defense or a range gun, you probably want a double stacked magazine. This will allow you more rounds (usually anywhere from 10-24+) but will be a bit thicker and bulkier. If you want a carry pistol, a single stacked magazine is much easier to conceal. I agree with many of the posters above in that you should definitely go shoot as many pistols as possible before making your purchase.

One last thing if you are going to be carrying concealed. A high quality concealed carry holster is worth 100x its weight in gold. If you go the cheap route, you will end up spending more on different holsters that never fit or feel right. I recommend both Crossbread and Comp-Tac inside the waistband holsters. I have had great results with both. Good luck and congrats on your future purchase!

deertracker

Google N82 Tactical. They make some awesome holsters and are made in the US. I have the in the waist band holster for my LC9. Dont even know it is there.
    DT

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

I basically want it for home protection, some target, probably won’t carry much. How is the Ruger LC9?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

For home protection, I would be looking at the Glock 17/19’s or a handgun of similar size. The longer the barrel, the more accurate at distances (and the less suited for carry).

I run a 26 that has a 3″ barrel. I like it for carry, but it’s frustrating at the range at anything over 20 feet.

Do you have kids or kids over frequently? An “accident” with a loaded, unattended gun be it a long gun or handgun is my biggest concern. Be careful here.

CJ

I basically want it for home protection, some target, probably won’t carry much. How is the Ruger LC9?

My sister carries an LC9 and seems to like it. For a home defense and target pistol, it leaves a little to be desired. For starters, its a small pistol with a short sight radius. This will make it harder to keep shots on target, especially at 20’+. With a loaded mag and 1 in the chamber, you can carry 8 rounds in the LC9. At the range, you will spend more time reloading this gun than shooting it.

If I were looking for a target/home defense 9mm pistol, I would focus on a Glock or S&W. They are economically priced, field proven and are tough as nails. You can really find some great prices on these pistols if you don’t mind buying a used pistol.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

My wife’s carry gun is a Ruger LC-9. Nice little hammer gun if you don’t have big hands and like a fairly long trigger pull. It doesn’t fit my hand well at all and the checkering on the grip seems to bite a bit when you shoot. I’m impressed with how accurate that gun is, and for the price, you can’t beat it. I would make sure you handle it a lot before deciding on that one if you have bigger hands. I have shot a few hundred rounds with it and still can’t shoot well with it but shoot lights out with my FNS9 because it fits my hand so much better and has a much better trigger.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

How is the Ruger LC9?

Extremely small and light. The LC9 is designed specifically for CC. It will be a poor target gun.

The SR9 or the SR9c are better options if you’re not going to carry frequently. In most handguns in this category, the trigger pulls are tough and rough. Getting a rifle-like trigger pull in a handgun doesn’t happen in the budget category. Higher-end comp guns have it, protection guns generally do not.

As has already been said, the best home defense handgun is a short-barreled shotgun.

But as long as you’re on the Ruger site, take a gander at the SR1911. I have to get one of those, what a beautiful pistol. I kinda-sorta blew my Sporting Toy budget in one big BANG this year, so that’ll have to go on hold until next year’s allocation comes through.

Grouse

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I have 4 9mm handguns. The Ruger LC9 is the most accurate and comfortable to shoot gun of the 4. It’s the gun I use to qualify for the CC test every 5 years. Won’t break the bank either!

-J.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>brian_peterson wrote:</div>

I have 4 9mm handguns. The Ruger LC9 is the most accurate and comfortable to shoot gun of the 4. It’s the gun I use to qualify for the CC test every 5 years. Won’t break the bank either!

-J.

Sorry, Have the LC9 but the model I meant to recommend is the Ruger P95DC.

J.

tucrs
    NW Metro

I would personally go with a Glock 17, Smith and Wesson M&P.

Both are wonder 9’s, they hold tons of ammo and shoot really well. I would look for a full size gun.

Just my opinion.

deertracker

Sorry, Have the LC9 but the model I meant to recommend is the Ruger P95DC.

So you weren’t kidding when you said you will have to get one after seeing mine. Do you want to check out my wife’s PINK .380? -)
    DT

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Yep, ankle holster and all!

-J.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

I think you’d like this weapon. But if you have a large hand, the grip maybe somewhat small for you. I own the Tarus model 732 in .380. I like it and I have a big hands. This would be a C-C weapon.

I also have a High-Point in 9mm…it’s never failed me. love shooting it. Lifetime warranty!

Like all others are saying, go shoot some different models and save a few more $’s between now and then….

Mocha
    Park Rapids

I have the LC9. I purchased the gun for a home defense gun for my wife. I do carry it every now and then also. I wanted to make sure she could not accidentally fire the gun. This gun has a very hard and long trigger pull. Its effective range for accuracy is about 20 feet but it would be extremely difficult for the user to accidentally fire the weapon. The LC9 has been flawless for operation and I did add on a Crimson laser sight and a magazine extension. I am looking for a full size 9mm for myself.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Reading this got me all worked up. Had to go fondle my toys.

Springfield XD 40
    Beretta Storm 9mm
    S&W 22A

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20140725_095157347.jpg

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Its effective range for accuracy is about 20 feet

I would disagree with that statement. I’ve watched my wife eliminate the center of a target from 15 yards routinely. I can’t shoot it that well, but that isn’t the gun, its the fact it doesn’t fit my hand and I just don’t shoot it well.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

I like my m&p 9mm for in the house shoos great I also have a beretta 92 which I also like. I carry a m&p shield 9mm shoots awesome too.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I have a Smith & Wesson 9mm stainless auto I am thinking about selling that is in great condition. I love the gun, but I want to upgrade to the Taurus Judge.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Beretta 92 or PX4 would get my money, but there are a lot of nice options out there!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.