Shiner shortage?

• lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Anyone know if there is a shiner shortage or something? They seem harder to find than normal

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Ask the DNR. flame flame flame

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Always at this time of the year they are hard to find.
    We hit the jackpot the other day. Got 5 dozen for 20 bucks and I’ve been attempting to keep them alive.

Pretty dumb we can’t transport them from WI. Because 9 miles away from me they have tons of shiners

Aboxy17

Man, I have been checking every bait shop around and haven’t seen shiners in 3 weeks at this point. Dead sticks haven’t been as effective this year largely for me except for a few times when we caught loads of fish on the finicky foolers. Metro fishing I have been picking up almost all my fish jigging. I almost prefer walleye fats in some situations just because of the durability factor.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Are we talking rainbow, spot tail, or golden shiners here? There’s been an importation ban on golden shiners for years now, as most of them used to come from Arkansas.

The last time I used those goldies, half of the were dead by the time I got to the lake. They die when you look at them wrong lol

MNdrifter

Usually find them somewhere each weekend. Last few years I noticed I’ve been catching more walleyes on small suckers than shiners anyways. Getting to the point I won’t go out of my way anymore to get shiners as long as I can find small suckers.

usmarine0352

Paid $1.25 per Shiner about a month ago.

Used both on Red last weekend and guys did better with Suckers but the allure of Shiners is always there. lol

Coletrain27

Just bought a mix of everything Thursday by leech lake

phishingruven
    tip of the mitten

i can get emerald, blues and golden. oddly though, the bait shop was out of 3-4 inch suckers, but they had 10-12 inch suckers.

breakerbreaker
    Inactive

We hit the jackpot the other day. Got 5 dozen for 20 bucks and I’ve been attempting to keep them alive.

Pretty dumb we can’t transport them from WI. Because 9 miles away from me they have tons of shiners

In a world of sheep be a rebel… why is that btw?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

In a world of sheep be a rebel… why is that btw?

My shiners are from here. Not sure why you can’t transport minnows besides that’s what the law man says.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I prefer small to medium shiners in winter. Much prefer them over suckers. Hit the crappies hard again tonight but struck out on big fish using suckers.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.