Dead Head 14pt

• ragerunner
    Winona, MN

I found this guy while making a deer drive on Saturday. His frame is not large, maybe 120-125, but he has sticker points all over. It sounds odd, but I think he was only a 2.5 year old. Not sure how he died, but glad I found him before the squirrels chewed any more.

todders
    Shoreview, MN

Very cool! Did you age the jaw bone to 2.5 or decide that from other info? Either way he is super cool and better found than squirrel food any day ! Is the head completely by itself sitting like that with no other remains? Interesting find, thanks for sharing.

ragerunner
    Winona, MN

I looked at the teeth and saw the hoof/leg. Very little wear on the teeth and relatively small feet. Most of the skeleton was there and completely picked clean.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

For the skull to be that clean, how long would you estimate it had been dead for?

ragerunner
    Winona, MN

Quote:

For the skull to be that clean, how long would you estimate it had been dead for?

I’m torn. The chances that I missed this last winter/spring are pretty close to zero. Plus, the squirrels would’ve chewed much more if it was a year old. So….my guess is that it was killed this fall. It always amazes me on how quickly the critters can clean up a carcass.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Very Perplexing! That’s a hell of a rack for a natural environment 2.5 yr old. I suppose the length of the spine would indicate an older, larger buck but on the other hand, it’s hard to say how much meat was on those bones. Still, perplexing…….

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.