Securing Screws to Pedestals

• rwilliam
    St.Paul, Mn

I have 2 Swivl-Eze air ride Pedestals. On the bottom of the pedestals are 3 screws that secure the bottom of the pedestal to the aluminum tubes.
    When I bought them I used a thread locker on the screws which I believe was Red Parmatex which is no
    longer securing the screws in place.
    Any suggestions as to what I can use to hold the screws in place.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1254.jpg

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

In addition to some newly applied thread lock, how about a star or lock washer?

munchy
    NULL

Did they strip out or back out?

Those look like self tapping screws, not machine screws. They don’t have much holding power in aluminum as only the peaks of the threads are touching the base metal. Over time from vibration and movement they will enlarge the hole to where the threads become loose.

I would remove them and drill/tap a suitable size and depth (at least 1/2” deep preferably deeper) then clean with brake clean and use red thread locker. Should never come out again.

rwilliam
    St.Paul, Mn

SuperDave, and Munchy.
    The screws backed out, and I can still tighten them.
    I’ll clean them up again,add a lock washer and thread locker. If that doesn’t work I’ll tap and add bigger screws.
    Thanks, Ron.

404 ERROR
    MN

Clean the crap out of them with carb/brake cleaner and air before adding thread locker. A common mistake many people make (not saying you did) is they do not clean the threads before applying thread locker and it does not work nearly as well.

munchy
    NULL

^^^Yup!

If the threadlicker doesn’t work, You could also take some JB Weld, dip the screw threads into it just to fill them smooth, then screw them in. The JB weld will fill the thread voids making everything much stronger and also adhere the screws into place. However you will probably never get them out if needed.

rwilliam
    St.Paul, Mn

Thanks for your responses.
    I did clean everything up the first time I added thread locker, however I don’t recall if I used brake clean on them or not. This time it will be brake clean for sure.
    Ron.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.