SEASON 16 EPISODE 12 – THE HUNT FOR GREAT LAKES WALLEYES ON SAGINAW BAY

• Kyle
    Keymaster
    Woodbury

James Holst and PJ Vick head east to Bay City, Michigan in search of giant great lakes walleyes on Saginaw Bay!

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

That on-the-knees slide up to the hole was totally awesome, James.

BCNeal
    Bloomington, MN

Did I miss what rods they were using? What type of line?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Did I miss what rods they were using? What type of line?

PJ was using a Commander. I was using a Power Precision. We both spool 6# mono. I run Sufix Advance on all my walleye rods. I’m not sure what type of Sufix PJ was using.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

That on-the-knees slide up to the hole was totally awesome, James.

They don’t all turn out that smoothly, that’s for sure! woot

Ripjiggen

Well where are those highlights then James. jester
    Have you ever thought of posting a bloopers type of video. I know you would probably not put that on tv, but surely there has to be a couple good laughs amongst fishing buddies or when stuff breaks or what not.

MX1825

IDO bloopers?? That’s not possible. whistling

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Bloopers video.Yeees.

shockers
    Rochester

Great photography on that show. Loved the drone footage!

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Saw they had ramps in the sled in one of the drone shots…. Goes along with what was said about ice still being a little sketchy.

It is hard finding info on the area… common launching areas and conversations in general to learn more about the area. Guess a Facebook account would help.

Looks like a fun trip to work on!

MX1825

James were you and PJ accessing out of Pinconning?

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

I have been watching episodes on this body of water last couple of years.

Any information on guide services would be great as I think that this is on the short term bucket list… I like going places and catching/keeping some fish knowing I am not hurting the resource. Anyone that has a link to something I can research on would be helpful.

Great episode for sure.

jim Van Schoick

nice video, thanks for posting it

I’m heading over there this weekend

Bill Mundt

Just got back last night from 2.5 day trip. Ice is rough, but not impossible. 12″-14″ everywhere we went. Fished out as far as 14 miles (29 fow) and as close as 4 miles out(19 fow) Caught fish everywhere we went. We took sleds out. Atv travel would be best, but some cracks started to open up….. Talked to one guy in town Sunday night who went down with his atv coming off in the dark. Luckily he saved it but got very wet in the process. Fishing was very good. Evenings were the best but we had a good day bite Sunday when the sun peaked out. Seemed gold flutter spoons worked best when the sun was out. Orange/yellow glow spoons were crazy good in low light. Lost count on how many fish we caught. 27″ was biggest. 95% were over 16″. 15lb bonus laker and one 14.5″ perch. Deeper was better than shallower for us. If its windy please don’t venture out too far. That ice out there moves and shifts ALOT. If going on a weekend be prepared for 1000’s of people, but there’s plenty of room for everyone. Good luck.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Any suggestions on where most people access the water and or places to read more about it all? I don’t mind following crowds out and then looking for my own area on a big body of new water like this.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.