Devil Track Resort Grand Marais, MN

• markdahlquist
    Eagan, MN

Friday
    Three doors. Wife dead bolts and chains two. On third she could not figure out how to lock with deadbolt key so she locks door lock from inside, the one key we don’t have. Just rented boat at 8pm, pissed this is gonna stall further, owners busy cooking and serving at the restaurant. Jenn noticed screens installed from the outside,
    windows not locked.

Jenn saves the day. Right out front of the lodge to the right (first point). We catch three walleyes! First one ~14 and others ~11. Fry tomorrow. Head in 9:15. Sun down, bugs out. Three walleye in one hour productive. My majority of time spent helping Matt and Jenn. I got one. Jenn two. Second one Jenn reels in and is complaining it is “hard to reel in.”. I said “Yeah, especially when you have a walleye one. She reeled it in to the tip and flipped the 11” into the boat. Awesome prime rib dinner.

Saturday
    Got up at 5 and fished two lakes and two creeks. Brookie fishin’ not anything compared to last year. Water incredibly warm. Caught four rainbows, one brookie, and a ton of chubs. Chubs were not there last year, brookies were. Trying another lake and creek tomorrow am. Fished Devil Track Lake for three hours. I got four giant smallies and one 12″ walleye. Let Matt reel in two of the smallies after hooked. Rocky points. Orange jig head with worm. Bobber to 4.5′ and cast of the points. Walleye off same point as last night. Brief rain pushed off off the lake by 8:30.

Sunday
    Fished a trout lake first thing this morning. Four before 5:30 am, one being 14.” Next moved to a new stream. Little brookies and the big pools far and few between. But once at a nice pool, nice brookies. Caught two chunky 11″ brookies, and handful of smaller ones. Then I tried the next bridge down, very rocky and fast water. Little brookies swiping at my silver spinner left and right. Most of them missing it or shaking off in the swift water. Ready to leave, I try under the bridge briefly. Flip my spinner in some soft deep water in between some big rocks. Instantly I feel a fish. Felt stuck like wrapped around a rock or branch. I wade out towards the fish. Next my heart raced, I see a big brookie maintaining position as if anchored. Love it when you think you are snagged only to discover a big trout. A few spins around under the bridge darting through rocks in very fast water I thought I’d lose this fish. Tried scooping him twice with the net, no luck. Third time he went in the net. Fat 13″ male brookie! A new personal best! Took a few photos and dropped him in the drink.

Monday
    Fished a trout lake again and got a 16″ rainbow and a 13″ Then went back to the brook trout stream. I did catch four more, two of which were in the 11″ range. Many were hitting it however fast water made it easy for the fish to shake the hook. I only fished for a few hours as we wanted to pack up and beat the traffic back home.

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

Looks like you had a great trip! I sure do miss my old childhood stomping grounds…Gota get my arse up there this summer.

markdahlquist
    Eagan, MN

Devil Track General Store right before you turn into the resort, correct? We stopped in there 4th of July because the local firemen were showing off their truck and my four year old son wanted to check I out. Older fat guy with long gray beard was working there, forget his name. He was bartender at the bar in Devil Track Resort last summer. He your uncle?

Yep some brookies. Not as many caught as last summer but then again I never caught a plump 13″ brookie so that makes up for it. I think the population fluctuates based on water temps. Strong spring snow melt will wipe out an entire year class of trout too.

Flipping rocks I saw caddis casings. Under bridges I saw dried up giant stoneflies size 8-10. So there are hatches including mayflies. Rainbows early am were slurping stuff on top.

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

Great Pictures. I love the Beaver tackle store

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

Sounds like a beautiful and exciting trip!

Question: You kept walleye for a fry, but don’t mention keeping any trout. Is there a reason for that, a conservationist thing, just curious.

markdahlquist
    Eagan, MN

I kept trout. Guess I didn’t mention it. That big beautiful brookie actually swallowed the treble hook on the spinner pretty good. Sometimes a prize fish like that I’ll say I let it go to avoid confrontation by C&R zealots. I kept another brookie and a handful of rainbows too. I’m gonna smoke a whole bunch this weekend.

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

Ahhhh OK. I gotta get a smoker. Or finish the project smoker I have waiting for me in the garage… *sigh*

So much to do, so little time.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.