Jackpot at Monsterland

• markdahlquist
    Eagan, MN

Fished from 5:30 – 7:30 this morning. All of my action was from 5:30 – 6:15. I caught two 20″ browns a 16″ brown, and a couple of other average sized browns. All caught on crawlers. All lip hooked and released in good shape. Finally caught some nice fish on the V this year!

Nice sunrise to go along with it.

Decent sucker

Hauled out some garbage.

Story to go with it.

http://markdahlquist.blogspot.com/2010/05/hit-jackpot-at-monsterland.html

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Nice Scud!

I see you used J hooks with the worms? A few years ago I started using circle hooks and lost many fish in the process of learning. I learned a larger circle hook size 2 is best size. I have only had 3 fish deeply hooked since I started that size. I think it was on this site there was discussion about circles. I caught my PB brown on sunday with a large crawler and size 2 circle hook.

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

Yep. Size 2 circles are da bomb. It’s my go to for Carp, Suckers, and Redhorse as well. Haven’t fished trout with crawlers in quite some time but the circles sure are a lot better than the old J hook. BTW very nice fish. Beautiful colors to those Browns!

markdahlquist
    Eagan, MN

Thanks guys. The J hook was a #4 I believe. I do #2 for chub tails. The #4 is a touch large for trout but smaller fish like chubs cannot hook themselves on it Plus a bigger hook gets a better bite on a big fish and a bigger hook I believe does a better job of preventing deep hook. None of the four trout caught yesterday were deep hooked. All released on good shape. Third fish had a little bleeding on his outside jaw where there was a small tear however he will be OK.

Yep I remember the discussion on this and other boards. I promised to try circle hooks. Just have not got around to them yet. I need to give them a try!

markdahlquist
    Eagan, MN

I went back to Monsterland tonight for ONE HOUR. Landed TWO fish. Not bad for the V. Both browns. Nothing else caught.

Well no monsters were home this evening. I however only fished from 6:30 – 7:30. Discovered the pool I caught the two in was not as deep as I thought. I am starting to wonder if I just happened to be at the right place at the right time.

After a half hour of no bites on worm, spinner, and rap, I went upstream looking for the next bend in the river. I found a nice deep hole by a downed tree and fished this guy out with a worm. Lip hooked. I’d call him 15.” Nice strong healthy fish with dark rust coloration, big pectoral fins too.

Back in the drink! I went back to the magical pool. Ended up catching one 5″ brown! Tiny little thing, not worthy of a photo. However it is a good sign of natural reproduction! I hope the little guy makes it. Tiny little jaw I hooked him on a #4 hook which was amazing in itself.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.