Email I Sent To Some Fisheries Folks *DELETED*

• LenH
    Wisconsin

Post deleted by LenH

timmy

Len – While I applaud and admire your efforts and passion for helping the sport, I disagree that adding an artificial only, c&r early season is unfair to the bait fishers. The early season is open to all people with a license and trout stamp – methods are restricted during the early season – but everybody has a choice on whether they want to follow the rules and paly, or sit out and wait.

I see it no different than archery and rifle seasons for deer hunters. The majority are rifle hunters – but the archery hunters get a heck of a lot more time to chase the deer – and the rifle hunters are not allowed to during that time.

I am a pike spear fisherman in the winter in MN – and I only get 3 months to practice my sport. Hook and liners can chase pike 10 months a year here (or 12 months on the border waters). But I don’t feel that the anglers are screwing me because I can not spear when they can angle…….

Extending c&r/artificial only seasons gives ALL anglers more chances to fish, PERIOD. If those people that only fish with bait choose to not utilize any other method, it is simply their choice. To imply that they are getting screwed over seems whiny to me, imho. Please re-read my first line again…….this is not a personal slam.

T

LenH
    Wisconsin

Post deleted by LenH

timmy

ALL anglers CAN partake. They just need to follow certain restrictions. The purchase of a license and stamp gives EVERY angler the EXACT same opportunities. Choices as to whether they will participate or not are up to the individual.

Like I said, Len, please don’t take this as an attack – because even if we disagree – I whole heartedly admire your dedication and passion for the sport. For that, my hat is off to you.

LenH
    Wisconsin

Post deleted by LenH

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I trust the DNR’s to make rules by using sound biological facts…and not fall to pressure from EITHER side.

Well, that’s my optimistic hope anyway.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

BK, sounds like you never played the “Earn a Buck” game.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

My assumptions are the intent was simply to create more fishing opportunities and the original harvest season has remained unchanged. I’m sure the DNR tends to error on the conservative side when it comes to expanding these things. It could very well be there was a fear there would be a negative impact on stream populations if the harvest season was extended so they took the more conservative approach. Having fished the early catch and release season the fish can be more concentrated (and less selective) during that time period. The follow up question is what would the impact be if the harvest season was extended? And… to what extent do you extend it? For reference, the MN harvest season starts 3 weeks earlier than WI (their catch and release season starts earlier as well). In general I don’t think the catch and release seasons will go away as that seems to be the trend beit trout, the sturgeon excursion, whatever. The 1st Sat in May, however, could definitely be improved upon.

birdman
    Lancaster, WI

Len, I agree with you. Wisconsin trout regulations have catered to the C&R crowd to the detriment of the other trout fishers. There’s way to many trout fisherman out there that act like it’s a crime to keep a fish.

Sometimes I wonder who hurts the resource more. THe guy who catches three fish and takes them home. Or the guy who hooks and lands thirty or more trout and releases them thinking that every one of them is going to live. I personally don’t have a problem with either way of fishing. I just don’t like it when people percieve there is only one way to fish trout.

Good luck with the meetings.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Len, we have a trout stream here in Cedar Rapids, Mclouds run is its name. Its the furthest most southern trout stream in N.E. Iowa and quite a ways from the closest hatchery, plus its a short stream, maybe a mile at most. Its all catch and release and artificals only. I can see why its artificals only because of the population here in the city and catch and release only. Its no doubt the highest maintainence stream because of its distance from the hatchery and everything else involved to keep trout in it. I think theres a fair amount of people who would agree that this is the best route for this stream, otherwise it would take too much to keep trout in it. The freeing up of funds to do other wise can go twards some other stream and its up keep. I know where your coming from but for everybody and what their license should get them the DNR is probably making the right decisions. If I’m correct there’s other trout water in N.E. Iowa that have special regulations on some streams or portions of them.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.