VIDEO – Awesome lake trout action on walleye gear!

• Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Quote:

I picked up two TEK500LC from Dean last fall,and fell in love with them. I suppose they would be to small for lead core line though.
    Now I have several extra Diawas

thanks James

Jeff, I am using the TEK500LC myself for lead core. There is plenty of room for backing & 10 colors of the thinner suffix lead line. My apologies for not remembering the amount of backing.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

The temptation to buy two more reels is sarting to get me

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

The temptation to buy two more reels is sarting to get me

(cough) Read the side of the box. (cough, cough)

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

Quote:

I picked up two TEK500LC from Dean last fall,and fell in love with them. I suppose they would be to small for lead core line though.

thanks James

Jeff, I am using the TEK500LC myself for lead core. There is plenty of room for backing & 10 colors of the thinner suffix lead line. My apologies for not remembering the amount of backing.

Thanks Dean for that same advice last time I talked to you. I picked up two of the Tekota 500’s from Skeeter Boat Center, and am currently wrestling with the idea of going to the 300’s like James mentioned. His testing will probably tell the tale for me.

Or maybe I just buy two more as suggested?

If you watch Grant carefully when he’s fighting that bigger fish in the video, you can really see the difference in the drags of those reels. Each “click” allows you to really fine-tune, and more importantly, keeps the star-drag from spinning loose (no drag) to getting a bit too tight and binding. Whether you’ll be using the drag system or not, it’s the smoothest line counter reel I’ve ever owned BAR NONE!

Joel

clarence_chapman
    Hastings, MN Lake Isabel activist

All I can say is if you ever need another body to man lines do not hesitate to give me a call!!!!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

All I can say is if you ever need another body to man lines do not hesitate to give me a call!!!!

On this particular day we could have used a couple extra hands on deck… things got crazy when we got everything dialed in and the rods kept going off in twos and threes. It was so much fun we’re working on dates for 2 – 3 return trips before the close of the laker season. I’m convinced there’s a 30lber out there with my name on it.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Quote:

Quote:

I picked up two TEK500LC from Dean last fall,and fell in love with them. I supose they would be to small for lead core line though.

thanks James

I don’t think they’d be too small at all. Forgive me for sounding like a 832 lead core fanboy here but you can get a lot more of the 832 on a spool than the old stuff. I’m thinking about trying 832 on my 300’s to see how many colors I can get on there. When I do, should be this weekend, I’ll shoot you a PM on it. IF I can get 5 colors and a bunch of braid backing on a 300 that’s the reel I’ll use for river lead coring due to how small and light the reel is.

I had an extra Tekota 300lc around so I added some backing (approx 100 yards of 10lb mono) and got 3 colors of the new 832 advanced lead core on and my 30 foot 10lb mono leader. Now remember Mille Lacs is the deepest water I troll lead core on so 3 colors is more than enough with the 832. Figure 7-8 feet per color and the leader will dive 5-6 foot so putting my max depth at around 30 foot with all 3 colors out at 2mph.
    The Shimano Tekota 300LC series is a great smaller reel if you need less leadcore for fishing shallower lakes. Like Grant said in the video the tekota drag is simple and smooth.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I picked up two TEK500LC from Dean last fall,and fell in love with them. I supose they would be to small for lead core line though.

thanks James

I don’t think they’d be too small at all. Forgive me for sounding like a 832 lead core fanboy here but you can get a lot more of the 832 on a spool than the old stuff. I’m thinking about trying 832 on my 300’s to see how many colors I can get on there. When I do, should be this weekend, I’ll shoot you a PM on it. IF I can get 5 colors and a bunch of braid backing on a 300 that’s the reel I’ll use for river lead coring due to how small and light the reel is.

I had an extra Tekota 300lc around so I added some backing (approx 100 yards of 10lb mono) and got 3 colors of the new 832 advanced lead core on and my 30 foot 10lb mono leader. Now remember Mille Lacs is the deepest water I troll lead core on so 3 colors is more than enough with the 832. Figure 7-8 feet per color and the leader will dive 5-6 foot so putting my max depth at around 30 foot with all 3 colors out at 2mph.
    The Shimano Tekota 300LC series is a great smaller reel if you need less leadcore for fishing shallower lakes. Like Grant said in the video the tekota drag is simple and smooth.

Awesome!~ Thanks for circling back on this as I didn’t get a chance to see how much 832 lead core I could get on a Tekota 300 this weekend. Your set-up would work perfect for me on the river as well as I don’t ever fish deeper than 20′. Often much less.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Quote:

Yup, James has it covered. Just two colors on a single rod, also sometimes called a SWR, or secret weapon rig, which I mentioned.

Jim ,thankyou for mentioning this.I can really see some other applications for the SWR !

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Good thread and lots of good info on the new 832 lead core from suffix.

We fished out of Port Washington this past weekend and the shallowest fish we caught was down 70′ in 130′ of water.
    I’m seeing plenty of great applications for this new lead core. Only I’m not thinking quite as much about walleye fishing (not yet anyway) as I’m still stuck on salmon fishing out on Lake Michigan.

What I’m wondering is how much 832 lead core I can fit on a SG47LC reel and still have plenty of backing for those ridicules King Salmon that want to run 500+ feet of line off before you can turn them.

If it will really take a bait down 7′ per color, a full core would put a line down 70′. That could replace a 250 copper rod which would be great to say the least as I don’t enjoy running copper.
    1-1/2 cores would put a bait down 105′ and leave me a half core to wind onto one of my walleye rods.

My lead core rods are getting due for some fresh line anyway. May as well upgrade this winter and see how it all works out!

Loved the video by the way!

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Post deleted by Jeff Huberty

ferchy

I am definitely a “fanboy” of the Suffix 832, another excellent tool to use in the arsenal! I have been using 12# on the river this summer pulling cranks, am very pleased with the results, will never use traditional leadcore again. The sensitivity(with leadcore?!) is excellent and it is easy to tell if the crank is working correctly by observing the tip of the rod vibrating. Another advantage is I can use smaller reels to achieve the same depths I did with traditional core loaded on larger reels. Plus….you actually feel the fight of the fish, doesn’t feel like you are reeling in a water-logged mattress!

Mikep

Looks like this thread has collected some dust. Question for anyone following this thread:

Looking at running various runs of Sufix 832 Advanced Lead Core 18# test on a Shimano Tekota LC reel.

I’m stuck between a Tekota 500LC and 600LC.

In some instances I could be running 10 colours, with hopes a 30lb braid backing and 20′ long 17-20lb Sufix fluorocarbon leader. Has anyone attempted this scenario on a Tekota 500LC?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Looks like this thread has collected some dust. Question for anyone following this thread:

Looking at running various runs of Sufix 832 Advanced Lead Core 18# test on a Shimano Tekota LC reel.

I’m stuck between a Tekota 500LC and 600LC.

In some instances I could be running 10 colours, with hopes a 30lb braid backing and 20′ long 17-20lb Sufix fluorocarbon leader. Has anyone attempted this scenario on a Tekota 500LC?

I run 300 yards of 30# Sufix 832 backing and up to 6 colors of Sufix Advanced 18# leadcore on the 500’s. More than 6 colors and I jump up to the 600 series.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.