Salmon – 3rd Week of August

• fishingchallenged

I’m thinking about doing a Michigan charter the 3rd week of Aug. From what I understand, they move up and down the shore throughout the season. How do you decide the best area to pick your charter based on the timing of your trip?

Mike Finke

Check out some reports from Algoma, Kewaunee, Two Rivers and Sheboygan. Fishing isn’t usually hot and heavy in Aug, but fish run big. We had a 24+ tonight.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

How do you decide the best area to pick your charter based on the timing of your trip?

Historical information will repeat itself and you’ll see patterns develop that repeat year after year. Regardless, that is only a general pattern that puts fish in general areas at certain times of the year.

Water temp and bait fish is key and that is what the charters are chasing. A couple days of a stiff west wind will roll up cold water along the WI shoreline and the fish will be shallow. A hard SE blow will push 65 degree water in and the fish can be anywhere from 80 to 200+ fow. So picking a date well in advance is a gamble.

If I was looking to make a destination fishing trip, I would look to the northern range of Lake MI Two Rivers up to Algoma since they have very short distances out to deep water.

Quite often AUG is generally a tough month to fish. Lake MI peaks with its warmest water of the year and depending on wind direction, fish can be very spread out or many miles off shore. The other side of AUG is the rewards of big fish. Chinooks that are fully mature (just about 4 years old) are reaching their max size and weight.

Good luck

captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

I just got back from a week of fishing out of Kewaunee. Fishing is tough near shore with skunks on 3 outings and one fish on 2 others. It was a rainy windy week which didn’t help. Offshore fishing at 450-500 fow was decent with rainbows and kings coming 40-90′ down on orange or green spoons. Wire dipseys, copper down the chute and downriggers all working. Not much on the boards. This depth is 12 miles out so some light winds is important. The charter boats are aware of this pattern which should last for a few weeks but ask to make sure they are willing to spend the gas money. good luck

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.