12/18 Foster-Arends Lake

• hof
    Rochester, MN

Went to Foster-Arends for a couple hours this afternoon. Ice is good, about 6 inches. Caught 4 trout (3 10-12 inch rainbows and 1 nice 17 inch brown), and missed several others. They wanted minnows either on a plain hook or fished on a small spoon ice jig. I was fishing in 7 ft. of water but only a couple ft. below the ice. It was a good day to be out!
    Good Fishing,
    Mike

Wadsworth

Can you fish two lines on Foster Arends?

hof
    Rochester, MN

It is considered an inland lake, so you can have 2 lines for ice fishing and 1 line for open water fishing.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I see there were a bunch of people out fishing today. Alot of ice houses too. Started to look like a little town on the lake.
    Thanks, Bill

Kenjack

Help Mike!!!

Do you have any hook setting suggestions for the FA trout when ice fishing that might be different that regular water conditions? I ice fished this week for a couple of hours and had multiple strikes but got nothing but air when I tried to set the hook.

I was using both waxies and crappie minnows. I hooked the minnows parallel to their backbone as I had done thanks to advice this fall for the open water. They slammed the baits really hard as my bobber would race down and away from the hole.

Do you hit them as soon as the bobber goes down or is it a waiting game?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!!

Ken

hof
    Rochester, MN

I experienced the same thing Thursday afternoon. It was wierd watching the bobber race away and then set the hook into nothing. I even missed a couple bites on my jigging spoon where they robbed the minnow without getting hooked! I guess the logical thing in my mind is to give more time before setting the hook. A little experimentation is in order and if you discover the answer, please let us know. I will do the same.

Good Fishing,

Mike

nate-cadwell
    Rochester, Mn

Hey Ken
    here is what I have found while fishing fosters.
    first thing loose the bobber I have been fishing with just a teardrop and a fathead minnow hooked in the lips not the back. then we have been rigging up with the lightest action panfish rods we can find and I mean flimsy. this part of it is very important that way when the trout come through lately they have not been hitting that hard and with a bobber you would not even notice it and if you did you were too late they have already felt you. this way you can set that rod up on the ice and watch that tip barely move run to the rod and do not set it just lift and hand over hand the fish in. we were down yesterday and got caught sleeping a few times if that rod gets completely bent over and is going down the hole most of the time you would miss that fish. but we were fishing around a dozen people yesterday and we caught some nice trout a 14in and a 15in Rainbow and a 16.5in Brook and I didn’t see anyone land a fish. so hope this helps give it a try and let us know how you do.

Kenjack

Nate.. Thanks man! I’ll give it a whirl!

Ken

hof
    Rochester, MN

Just got confirmation that Foster Arend was stocked last week with some brook trout. They haven’t been biting real fast, but some nice ones up to 15 inches have been getting caught. Low light periods are producing best.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

Kenjack

Went to FA Thursday afternoon. People were icing some very nice Brook Trout!! I saw at least two19 inchers come up. People were fishing very shallow(around 5 feet). It was bizarre because while you were fishing you could see brookies swiming below the ice.

They were hitting minnows on a teardrop, etc. jigged. I of course sat there with my waxies and powerbait catching the occasional small sunfish!

Ken

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.