First Post of the Season

• lew
    Kasson, MN

Today was my first day out. I had the same results as I had watching the World Cup Saturday. No Fish Caught.

Actually, I was wondering if any of you have talked with anyone that has fished the Zumbro down stream from the Byron Conservation Club bridge lately. I thought the water looked pretty green for a flowing river. I also notice a distinct lack of small fish that usually follow my lure back. I saw two fish jump during the two and ½ hours I was out, but I seriously doubt they were bass. I did not see a lot of bait fish or any cray fish either. I know that I am no stranger to fish draughts, but I’m wondering if in this case there isn’t something else going on.

I have a question about waders for you posters. I have a hole in the toe of my wading sock. Can this be repaired? I will have to re-enforce it as well as I apparently lift my big toe as I walk, causing unusual wear.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Lew,
    You just have to get out more often.
    Bill C. has been on the Zumbro quite a bit this year, and he will, I’m sure, will post a reply to you.
    good luck.
    Jack..

hof
    Rochester, MN

Hey Lew,

Glad to hear you got out again. Hope you get to go more often! I’ll hope to hear from some of the stream wading guys on this too.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Hey Lew, where have you been? You have been missed. Current in summer months is lacking unless theres been a good rain it seems. I’d try fishing bends as they should have holes plus more current. Try a nightcrawler on a hook with one or two splitshot 18” above the hook. Or even a twister tail if they are hitting good. Good luck and keep us posted on how you do.
    Thanks, Bill

lew
    Kasson, MN

Thanks for the tips Bill. I intentionally only carried a couple of lure options with me on this trip. I generally carry way too much stuff. My concern is the condition of the river. Normally at this time of the year the levels may be low, but usually clear as there hasn’t been any rain for run-off. As I mentioned in my first posting, there were very few signs of bait fish or small bass that normally chase after baits with visions of greatness.

lew
    Kasson, MN

While fishing the Zumbro near the County Rd 7 Green Bridge I ran into a guy that has experience fishing between Mantorville and Byron. He pointed out that the new home construction above the Dodge County Golf Course may be the cause for the change in water conditions. I certainly hope this is not a permanent issue.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.