Rifle scope?

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I shoot my great grandpas 30.06 have for many years since he died. Its a semi auto remmington model 740.
    I hunted the rain on Monday. After that the crappy weaver break away scope is internally fogged and I can barley see through it. I never wanted to change a thing on this gun. It means alot and I love it. I’ve killed countless deer with it. But now I obviously have to change optics. I have never bought a scope and mounted it.
    I shoot 150 maybe 200 yards max but usually with in 80.
    Any recommendations are welcome

Slabtown
    Western Wisconsin

If you really want to keep that scope, you could check out vintagegunscopes.com

They might be able to repair that weaver for you. Probably expensive, but it sounds there is some real sentimental value in that gun. I haven’t ever bought anything from them, but have thought about it for an older rifle.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

If you really want to keep that scope, you could check out vintagegunscopes.com

They might be able to repair that weaver for you. Probably expensive, but it sounds there is some real sentimental value in that gun. I haven’t ever bought anything from them, but have thought about it for an older rifle.

That would be awesome honestly. I’ll look in to that. Never even thought of it

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

if you end up looking for a new scope I would recommend anything vortex. I dont see why a diamond back wouldn’t be able to get that done. as far as mounting as long as it has a base on it its not a bad job. couple of levels and some kind of way to keep the gun still and its not a problem. Sounds like a sweet setup toast

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

My .30-06 came with a vortex crossfire on it and it’s been nothing but issues. Thankfully they’ve got a great warranty so it’s defects have been solved over time. I’m switching over to a leupold before next fall though.

deertracker

My .30-06 came with a vortex crossfire on it and it’s been nothing but issues.

Not to derail Bearcat’s post, but what issues did you have?
    DT

reddog

I shoot my great grandpas 30.06 have for many years since he died. Its a semi auto remmington model 740.
    I hunted the rain on Monday. After that the crappy weaver break away scope is internally fogged and I can barley see through it. I never wanted to change a thing on this gun. It means alot and I love it. I’ve killed countless deer with it. But now I obviously have to change optics. I have never bought a scope and mounted it.
    I shoot 150 maybe 200 yards max but usually with in 80.
    Any recommendations are welcome

Fixed power Weaver? If so. What power? I’ve got a K4 or 6 on my 742 6mm.

Beast

For me, it’s Leopold been using then since the late 70’s and never had a failure. with my handloads on a still day with a bench rest I can cover 3 shots with a dime at 100 yards. on my 270 with a synthetic stock, I may have had to readjusted it twice since 1994 when I mounted it to that gun, my 30-06has never needed to be readjusted. And that been on on that since 1986.

eyefishwalleye
    Central MN

Leopold. I have 3 of them, funny thing is I bought the first one in the early 80’s after the Weaver scope I had literally fell apart when adjusting the power while deer hunting in the Black Hills. I never have to adjust them, even dropped my .308 out of the stand once and the scope was still spot on.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tbro16 wrote:</div>
    My .30-06 came with a vortex crossfire on it and it’s been nothing but issues.

Not to derail Bearcat’s post, but what issues did you have?
    DT

Sorry for the long story, hope it doesnt derail the post.

I bought a Ruger American combo with a cheap Vortex scope that was factory mounted. Claimed to be accurate out of the box. Reviews were all phenomenal so I rolled with it. After the purchase I went through two boxes of shells to site it in properly. The turret adjustments would skip clicks then double/triple click, then skip again. Felt extremely cheap. Took forever to get the gun sighted in the way I wanted it.

Finally got it sighted in enough for me to feel comfortable. Let the gun sit in the basement for months, then pulled it out just before hunting season and couldnt hit the broad side of a barn. Took it in and sure enough some lens inside broke. Know for a fact I didnt hit it hard on anything, still dont know how it could have broke, but it did. The warranty covered it, which was great, but still frustrating to start over from scratch again. Only this time, it wasnt factory mounted. After another box of shells or two I got it sighted in and left for my trip.

Sounds like most have great luck with these scopes. My combo came with one of the cheapest scopes in their line and I may have just gotten the one odd duck out of the bunch. Who knows. Either way, I’ll be mounting a Leopold before next season.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I believe some of you are referring to Leupold scopes. Leopold is a king from Belgium.

I have used a Nikon Buckmaster scope for 15 year and I would recommend it. The Nikon Monarch is an even better one. It really comes in clear during low light conditions.

I have Vortex binoculars and they are superb so I would not hesitate to look at their scopes as well.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I’d simply suggest buying great glass whatever brand you choose. I’m partial to Vortex due to great pricing for great glass. (Viper glass or better). They also have a great warranty but I’ve never used it. What you spend on the gun, invest that same amount or more in glass if you can. Especially if you tend to do some long range shooting.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.