Refurb's TV's?

• Timmy

Does anybody here have any experience with buying a refurb’d TV? Our TV crapped out on us and looking on line, I found quite a few refurbished units. A refurbished 50″ Vizio is going for $340. Too good to be true?

T

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

It was opened but not refurbished, but had good luck. What I did was save $500-600 but then bought the 2 yr warranty (which I never typically do). The dude told me and a little research confirmed that once a TV lasts for over a year without issues, it will likely go for a long time.

Is that an option?

One of my TVs is a 42″ Vizio, it is probably about 7-8 yrs old and still working great.

blank

Perfect timing with black Friday sales. I bought a cheapo 40″ at Wal Mart a 4 or 5 years ago for $200 on black Friday and not a single issue.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Agree with Blank, this is the one and only real justification for going out on Black Friday–you actually need something. Lots of deals on TVs, but do your homework! I’ve seen lots of “Black Friday Blowout MegaDeals” that I could get cheaper on Amazon and get free shipping. Oh, and I don’t have to get up at 3 AM.

Grouse

Timmy

On-line, or after the holiday rush for me. There is no black Friday deal in existence that will get me into Wal-Mart during a busy time.

The whole re-furb aspect has me slightly concerned. For $340, maybe it is worth taking a chance. I will have to dig into warranty, though, as it is too big a chance to take if there is zero warranty.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Stay away…. Someone else broken Tv repaired, Tv prices are so Low now just buy New.

blank

On-line, or after the holiday rush for me. There is no black Friday deal in existence that will get me into Wal-Mart during a busy time.

Oh, I don’t blame you. But that’s why I sent my cousin who is crazy and likes that crap, to get the TV for me, while I stayed home jester

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

You mean you don’t like kicking off the Christmas shopping season with a few elbows to the face and bruised shins?

Cripes, you can’t please some guys.

Grouse

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Stay away…. Someone else broken Tv repaired, Tv prices are so Low now just buy New.

I agree! And if you can wait until the week of the Superbowl, there will be last years models on clearance.

-J.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Refurbs are normally a very good option and come with either a 90 day or full year warranty. I have bought several and one of the girls that I work with also has.

Look at it this way, many models have inherent problems like power supply boards or other problems common on many models. Google any model TV or look on Ebay for a model and you will see the parts that are sold or read the reviews of common problems. Refurbs usually have those common problems fixed and are actually better than the TV was when it was new.

Almost all electronics that have issues will fail in the first month or year, after that they are normally good for many years. Yes new TVs are cheap right now depending on what specs you are getting. Remember most of the Black Friday deals are the lower end units that are 60 hz or at best 120hz.

Timmy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bigcrappie wrote:</div>

I agree! And if you can wait until the week of the Superbowl, there will be last years models on clearance.

-J.

Haha….I wish. Personally, I could live without, but the bride has me over a barrel on this deal. It seams that she recalls that a couple of weeks ago I came across a “too good to be true” deal on an old Winchester 1894. (to all the gun nuts here – you would be jealous of this one)

She commented immediately when the TV crapped out: “If you can afford to buy an old rifle just because it’s there, we can surely afford a new TV for the family”. blush

Timmy

And to all the responses – Thanks for all the ideas – I appreciate it!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.