Red lake reservation

• Tom schmitt

Has anyone else read the article in outdoor news?
    It appears the Red Lake band is trying to reclaim the original size of their Reservation.
    Not sure how the private land part would work, but turning the entire lake into native control would be pretty significant.
    I can’t believe this has flown under the radar this long.

Ripjiggen

Not surprised. Been planning and working towards similar results for years on Mille Lacs

Dan
    Southeast MN

I read it too Tom and thought I maybe misunderstood the article because it sounded so crazy. Guess maybe I didn’t.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

This stuff is gonna get interesting! Unfortunately with Minnesota full house of Democrats and federal government having a Native American Deb Haaland running the department of interior. It’s gonna be interesting. The band over here in Wisconsin barricaded off some roads across their reservation to private residences for over a month! Granted there was some agreements that expired and failed negotiations led to it but they came back to the table with a 20 million dollar deal for 20 year lease! The town paid 60k to the tribe for a 60 day road open temporarily and negotiations are ongoing. Gonna be interesting couple years to say the least.

The_Bladepuller
    South end

My understanding is Red Lake Rez has always been native owned; BIA has jurisdiction. Where the boundaries were? I don’t know. Think back to the school violence / grandfsther killed by his grandson. The FBI handled investigating & such. State had no jurisdiction.
    ML that is not the case. The state actually hung Mille Lacs Co. out to dry on the boundry litigation.

Ripjiggen

It’s in the star trib now.

Iowaboy1

Start the day with a laugh

Attachments:
    1. yep.jpg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

“It’s always been a thorn in our side,” Pemberton said. “They [the federal government] stole it from us.”

What a joke. They almost single-handedly eliminated walleyes from that lake from commercial harvest, agreed to allow it to recover, and now they want it all to themselves so they can exploit the resource again.

I’m assuming that if they were to acquire the portion that the state owns, they would completely shut off any kind of recreational fishing by state licensed anglers, no? Or would they still permit angling on that portion of the lake?

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Or would they still permit angling on that portion of the lake?

I seriously doubt we would ever be allowed to wet a line on it again.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Good luck to those who have invested so heavily in the businesses/resorts in this area. They’re going to need it.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

If that’s the case, I have to imagine that all the local businesses and resorts that depend on that portion of the lake to remain available for fishing are heavily against this.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

What very interesting is these reservations are sovereign nations but yet we as taxpayers give them hundred of millions of dollars for roads infrastructures etc but yet they call them “there” roads. I would be concerned if I owned land around there with the way things are going, they have a lot of lobbying power now and only gonna get more. Imo

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I’m sure they are. I hope this blows over like it sounds as it has in the past.

FinnyDinDin

What very interesting is these reservations are sovereign nations but yet we as taxpayers give them hundred of millions of dollars for roads infrastructures etc but yet they call them “there” roads. I would be concerned if I owned land around there with the way things are going, they have a lot of lobbying power now and only gonna get more. Imo

I say we let them be their own nation and cut off all federal support. They would not last long. Maybe they’d decide they want to join the USA after they realize how much they actually need us and how much better their life is with our support.

The red lake reservation hates America. Non-natives are not welcome on their land and they make it known. I have some stories. Why do we keep giving them money and services?

Justin Donson

The red lake reservation hates America. Non-natives are not welcome on their land and they make it known. I have some stories. Why do we keep giving them money and services?

Haha uhhh, duh? Apparently some stuff happened in the past between native americans and the US government, they hold a grudge or something for some reason.

I also stumbled across a similar revelation this week. Did you know that Jewish people don’t like nazis? Weird, I know, tough to pin that one down too.

queenswake
    NULL

If it was just getting access to more fish, they could just buy up resorts on the Upper Lake like they have been doing on Mille Lacs, right? Get their money through the resorts. I wonder why they haven’t been trying this approach? Every resort owner has a price.

So I don’t think it’s just about the fish, but actually reclaiming the land. The problem is that this many generations removed, it’s not going to go over well at all to take over a massive lake like that that is huge for non-natives. The time to do that would’ve been 30 years ago before the explosion of people going up there to fish. 30 years ago, URL and LOTW were barely even mentioned as places to go fishing. It was as exotic as remote Canadian fishing outposts. Today, thousands run up there all year for the weekend without thought.

I just hope that civility remains. This could escalate into something pretty bad. But they had to know this wouldn’t go over well.

dirtywater

“It’s always been a thorn in our side,” Pemberton said. “They [the federal government] stole it from us.”

What a joke. They almost single-handedly eliminated walleyes from that lake from commercial harvest, agreed to allow it to recover, and now they want it all to themselves so they can exploit the resource again.

What’s the joke? these two statements have nothing to do with one another. That’s like saying “it’s ok that I stole this truck from my neighbor, he wasn’t taking good care of it anyway.”

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>
    Or would they still permit angling on that portion of the lake?

Agreed.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Do you really think they want the land back for the sole historical purpose that it was originally “stolen?” They want it back because of the resources there. Russia thinks that eastern Ukraine is theirs too.

I assume there is some sort of federal treaty that governs this from a legal standpoint. I am not familiar with the Red Lake treaty but if it follows the same route that the treaty has for Mille Lacs, its not going to get over turned by the Supreme Court. It will get ruled on the side of the treaty. That’s if it makes it that far.

Ripjiggen

They are saying the treaty is not being followed. The line was moved and now want it moved back. Similar things are happening on Mille Lacs currently. They want the original treaty boundaries.

CaptainMusky

Any idea when the line was moved? Ive seen maps from 1911 that show what is now the boundary, but nothing of what it looked like prior.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

They are saying the treaty is not being followed. The line was moved and now want it moved back. Similar things are happening on Mille Lacs currently. They want the original treaty boundaries.

I see. They may have a case then. Thanks

Ripjiggen

Any idea when the line was moved? Ive seen maps from 1911 that show what is now the boundary, but nothing of what it looked like prior.

From the beginning of the agreement is what it sounds like.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

It’d sure be interesting if the rest of URL ends up closed to non natives. It seems like a stretch to assume that could happen, but never underestimate the ability of elected leaders to screw things up.

For those of you waiting for ice house prices to tank maybe this is your in? That lake is the mecca for wheelhouses with resorts that plow networks of roads, relatively easy fishing, gently sloping accesses, locks up early. Thousands of houses that are owned in MN primarily fish URL.

Ripjiggen

I am only speculating here (even though they eluded to it) but I am guessing that is one of the main reasons they are fighting this. Red lake tribe is one of the poorest in the country. Imagine if your neighbor threw wild parties every weekend and everyone was showing up in fancy cars. Then when they leave they don’t always pick up after themselves.

Not saying I agree with their stance just speculating on why they may be pursuing it.

JEREMY
    BP

If their land is theirs and no one else can touch it or drive through it, then shouldnt they in turn not be able to use or access any land that isnt theirs.

Reef W

Mostly from memory of looking at this awhile ago so some details might be off but it’s something to do with the Dawes Act in 1889 that allotted land to private owners. After each Indian head of household got their 160 acre allotment the rest of the land was considered surplus and could be sold to anybody. The Red Lake reservation was gigantic, 3 million acres or something like that, and 90% of it got sold as surplus.

CaptainMusky

If their land is theirs and no one else can touch it or drive through it, then shouldnt they in turn not be able to use or access any land that isnt theirs.

You havent been paying enough attention. What’s their’s is their’s and what’s everyone else’s its theirs too.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

You havent been paying enough attention. What’s their’s is their’s and what’s everyone else’s its theirs too.

LOL good one

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 98 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.