Which Ranger

• Willy Wonka
    Forest Lake, Mn.

We fish some of the big lakes for Musky. We are getting tired of getting blown around in the big lakes with our Alumacraft Navigator 175. I want to upgrade to a glass boat and Ranger is what I would like. Which one would you guys recommend for big water? I am thinking a 619 or a 620 console. Also are the older Rangers better than the new built ones? Thanks for any and all help and comments!

WS

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

There are still several 690 rangers afloat and still highly thought of in both the musky & walleye world. The motors on those boats however are really starting to date themselves. The rear deck is a slick option for casting as well. The 619 & 620 are both viable products,but in rough water,more is better IMO.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I’m on my first year on my 619 and have fishing Bay de Noc and Green Bay with some pretty good wave action..I used to fish a Lund 1675 SS and there is no comparison. Plenty of room, storage and casting from the front or back(with casting deck) would be a breeze..

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Quote:

We fish some of the big lakes for Musky. We are getting tired of getting blown around in the big lakes with our Alumacraft Navigator 175. I want to upgrade to a glass boat and Ranger is what I would like. Which one would you guys recommend for big water? I am thinking a 619 or a 620 console. Also are the older Rangers better than the new built ones? Thanks for any and all help and comments!

WS

Get as big as you can afford, you won’t be disappointed. Kinda like what size sonar screen, 8″ or 10″ screen. Strictly fishing big water you will want a 620 or 621. FYI they are both nimble enought to fish smaller water also if you choose.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

I would say the 619 or 620 whichever price point you can afford. With that said dont over look Skeeters. There are a couple that may fit what your looking for!!!

Good luck in your search

Willy Wonka
    Forest Lake, Mn.

Thanks for the advice and comments. Much appreciated!

WS

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

Bambino I run a 2009 Ranger 619 and we fish about anywhere. It rides great and has awsome storage. I have the back deck for it but it’s never been used. My better half can stand on the back compartments with plenty of room when pitching. We have decided to sell it so if interested PM me. Thanks Glenn

craigniu

Bambino,
    Sent you a PM to discuss what you decided. I am looking at a Navi 175CS and wanted to get your opinion. I wouldn’t mind a 619vs either, but they’re a little pricey.
    Thanks for any help.
    Craig.

cowboyhannah
    Wausau, WI

I run an 05 619 and fish on Green Bay, Vermilion, and LOTW. It handles big water pretty well. I have to laugh when guys say they’ve fished big water like Big Bay on V when it’s rockin’ out there and their boat handles everything that can be thrown at it…There are times when I’ve been out in my 619 on Green Bay and Vermilion and it was plain dangerous and it would be for any small craft. Anyhow, the 620 I’ve fished out of as well and runs completely differently across the water…much more stable, simply FEELS like a much bigger boat. I would strongly advise that if you have the room in your garage to go with the 20 or 21 especially if you regularly fish bigger water. Good luck.

prairecreekking
    Eastern Iowa

I am on my 3rd new Ranger since 2000. I have loved everyone of them but NONE like my 2008 Ranger 620vs. It simply is the BEST freshwater boat available today. I used to watch the winds when venturing out on MilleLacs or Lake of the Woods. Now, I don’t give it a second thought. This thing kills big waves and keeps you dry. As a fishing platform it’s unsurpassed. Make sure you get a casting deck extension for the back…..then use it if there are only 2 guys fishing. I have fished 4 guys comfortably FOR MUSKIES…big bits etc. Loads of room.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.