What Ranger 6 series is best for me?

• dog2th
    Omaha, NE

I am looking to upgrade from my 02 Lund to a 05-07 Ranger. My question is: what model should I be looking at. A 619, 620, 621? Is the main difference their length or something else. The 620s look to be the most popular model, but I don’t know why. Any ideas?

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

To be honest, I think you are the only person that can answer that question.

Something to consider. Your garage. How big is it? In those particular years. Performance wise, I am not a big fan on the 621.

Good Luck in your search.

FDR

huskerdu

As in the last post, only you can decide which model is the best fit, I run a 621 W/250 ProXS- 60MPH+ boat.
    The only thing about the 621 I dont like is towing, due to its size, there is more storage than you will ever use, and the deck is HUGE! rides like a champ. Good luck in your search.

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Lund Pro V – 20 foot tiller is the one for you!

Love that boat!!!!

dog2th
    Omaha, NE

So – am I to understand that the only real difference between the 3 is length, ride, and storage? And their fishing setups look to be the same.
    I have plenty of garge space, and tow weight is not a problem.
    The cost difference might be the limiting factor.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Lund Pro V – 20 foot tiller is the one for you!

Love that boat!!!!

Ranger forum. Question asked about Ranger Boats….

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Dog,
    I’m fishing out of a 619 with a 225 pro XS..
    It has plenty of storage (for me) It will fish three people comfortably…could fish four but I would choose not to… Plenty of get up and go…cruises at 40mph at 40k rpm with 2 people and a load of gear,gas ext.

Easy to move around, putting in at most all the landings here on the Mississippi river… handles the waves of Mille Lacs, the bay of Green Bay and Bay de Noc…

Would I buy a 620??? If the price was right.. I sure would…I don’t think I would purchase a 21 footer…just because I don’t fish the types of waters designed for that large of a boat..

I came from a 17 foot lund and an Optimax, so I graduated quite a bit… I am not a tournament fisherman and take a couple trips a year with it… I mostly fish the river so that’s why I made the choice I did…

If you have any questions for me about my Ranger and what I do with it or how I fish with it…just ask !!!

webstj
    Mazeppa, MN

I ditto what Ecnook said. I own an 07′ 619 w/225 Pro XS. I would love to upgrade to a 62o if the price was right. The little things that make me want to upgrade:

Deck space (6″ will provide a load of difference such as strapping down 6’6″ and 7′ rods.)

The extra foot will smooth the ride even more, and furthermore give you a better front end going into waves.

The extra foot makes a huge difference for that 3rd or 4th person.

The 621 would increase all of this of course but would definitely decrease fishability and manueverability, especially if you are switching over from Aluminum.

I would set a goal for a 620′, and feel satisfied with the savings of a 619′ if thats what deal presents itself.

P.S. As said previously, too many garages seemed to be designed for a 619′ or less, thus my final deciding factor when I bought mine.

ted-merdan

The new 621 hull(’10 and newer) and deck is an absolute big water and wave machine – if i went back to a wheel boat this is my first choice (I have a 620T now). There is a difference in ride between the 619 and 620 – not as much on the ’07 and later hulls as there is in the earlier. The 620 is the most popular for a reason – it’s a great boat. Garage limiting would be a factor to drive me to a 619 – this is a boat you want in the garage IMHO. Where do you fish and how do you fish (trolling, off the bow, anchored, rigging, etc) would help me make a better suggestion for you.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you need to – lots of Ranger owners here on this forum that have been though your thoght process and potentially own the same models and years you are considering.

Good luck!

-ted

dog2th
    Omaha, NE

Ted. My fishing styles include about everything from slip bobbering crappies to pulling wire on Oahe. I love the SD glacial lakes and Lake Francis Case. I’m told that the ride of these units are far superior to my Lund. I’m willing to spend the money if the ride is that much better – like going from an Impala to a Lexus. Both are nice, but not a fair comparison in ride or price.

ted-merdan

619 / 620 would be my recommendation – unless – you are looking for a tiller then the 620 would work the best. If you are ordering make sure that you get the shallow water launch system on your trailer – it’s a lift roller system that’s on an additional wench that pulls up a set of keel rollers that raises the boat off the bunks and so you can launch in very shallow/borderline launches that you may have in the glacial lakes regions.

Let me know if I can answer any further questions for you – I have owned 8 different models of 619/20/21’s during the 2000’s and now have the 620 tiller.

Good luck and you cannot go wrong with any of the choices you are looking at!

-ted

dog2th
    Omaha, NE

After seeing many 619/620 models this weekened and trailering my Lund in a 40 mph head-wind for 6 hours, I think I’ll start looking for a 619. I don’t fish tournaments or store a whole lotta gear. I’m a weekend warrior who enjoys being away from the phone as much as catching 18 inch walleyes. Ease of use and manuverability helped me make my choice. Thanks to all for your input!!!!
    Dog

hookem_9
    Hastings, MN

Keep in mind, the year ranges you are considering, covers 2 different boat designs for the 619 and the 620. The 619 was redesigned in 07? and the 620 was redesigned in 06, with an additional slight hull change in 08. The boats got bigger in the redesign process. The new 619, is dimensionly closer to the previous version 1999-2005 620… Lots to consider. For me, my friend has an 08 620 that I want! That’s the next boat…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.