Rainy river predictions?

• basseyes

Should be an interesting year to see how the rainy river spring run unfolds with the weather.

This will only be the 3rd year in a row going up there for our group and curious what the long term veteran’s best guesses are for how it’s shaping up, being its starting to get closer and closer and the weather seems to be a bit below average with the temperatures.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

If I remember correctly, cold winters like 2014 and 2015 were pretty close to normal ice out.

I’ve studied satellite images over the years and can definitely conclude that sun and temps play an equal part in the ice off. Lack of clouds with temps in the 20s and 30s will melt ice. The severity of winter doesn’t seem to be much of a factor.

To summarize, it’s too early to tell.

grizzly
    nebraska

talked to a guy up there this morning who said some parts of the river where they are ice fishing is only 6 inches to a ft. thick from the fast current, but didn’t ask where he was on the river, it can open anytime cause im ready

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

My thoughts are starting to drift away from ice fishing and towards the Rainy also. Had everything ready to go last year, would have been our first time, but then the river re-froze and we cancelled. Was so bummed!

Going to try and make it happen this Spring. Hoping for a “normal” year.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

To summarize, it’s too early to tell.

Agreed. I don’t know how they are doing snow-wise up there, but that can be a double edged factor. A lot of snow delays it opening initially, but once it starts melting it opens it up faster and can cause the Forks to break loose sooner. Which usually means a week-ish delay as it muddies than clears up.

lindyrig79

We are debating right now either 1) play the weather and go on short notice or 2) just pencil in April 11-14 which is the last weekend I believe and take what we get

Go Spuds

Last year sucked…
    We plan for 3 weekends then pull the trigger on one of them when the weather opens. My buddy and I have a bet–he thinks crowds will go down with the C&R only regs this year–I predict it wont have an impact.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

We are debating right now either 1) play the weather and go on short notice or 2) just pencil in April 11-14 which is the last weekend I believe and take what we get

play the weather and go on short notice. I think it will be a normal year. the flow was super fast this fall and I expect the ice to be less than a normal year. The sun becomes much more powerful in March and it opens quick. A person can get lucky with planning, but to experience this bite at its fullest its best to be available to go on short notice.

I have to look back at notes over the past 20 years of going but I think we should have big boats in at birchdale around March 25-26. That’s a bold perdiction, but I have cabin fever like the rest of you!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’ve been going for 12 years, and if you have the option to go on short notice that is the best option imo. Now that my buddies and I have more requirements to get away (aka permission from the warden’s wives) we would just book it for the last weekend and make it work.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Going up March 20 to 25th. We skip the boat battle and ice fish secluded hard to get to spots. Cant wait it’s coming fast

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Any one coming up that week and wanna meet up. I’m staying at Steve’s lucky bait. I’ll be there in and out all week working the bait counter

John Miller

Definitely too early too tell. Every inch of snow makes it seem farther away. We always book the last weekend and hope for the best. Some years you fish pike in the portable, some years you huddle up and fish sturgeon and maybe if your lucky every few years you get into a crazy walleye bite. For me the lead up and watching the flow gauges before you go is half the fun. Every year is so different and if you can roll with the punches you will always have a good time.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Cam the bait shop and continuously talk with them on river conditions is your best bet. And keep a open schedule

rschmidty

My notes since I’ve been going up sturgeon fishing.

Attachments:
    1. BDE4E872-ED7E-446C-8152-EEFC43F68ADD.jpeg

lindyrig79

I know it’s too early to really start looking at forecasts…. but I have cabin fever pretty bad and I can’t help myself. Looking at the forecast, temps look way below average next week into the beginning of March. Hoping once we flip the calendar out of February it will be a different story!

As for Pike fishing in portables…. do you walk out on those years? Or take machines out into the main part of the lake?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Last minute trip is best. There’s always an open room.
    One year I got up to IF at 8pm. Decided too dirty. Called a resort towards the lake and got a house with 6 beds, full kitchen, shower, washer, dryer, yada yada… For $35 a night. Stayed a week.

I haven’t been in a few years. Fishing Sturgeon with one line drives me nuts. Not much interest in fishing walleye up there since it is just as good on that other river waytogo

lundojam

Bearcat-
    I like your thinking on ice fishing late ice on the river. I think of that every time I go up there. Do you guys do pretty good? Same big numbers as fishing from the boat?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Bearcat-
    I like your thinking on <em class=”ido-tag-em”>ice fishing late ice on the river. I think of that every time I go up there. Do you guys do pretty good? Same big numbers as fishing from the boat?

We get tons of fish and biggest size of the year. We used to do the battle the launches and the crowds. Now we go and sit on the ice 6 miles down river and so absolutely great. Never have had a bad trip yet. My 3 biggest walleyes all came last year on our 1 trip. Our group caught 70 fish in 1 afternoon between 4 of us last year and 3 at 29 1 just over 30

lindyrig79

It sounds fun, but I think I would get nervous sitting on River Ice as it is melting. Guessing with some local knowledge and experience that would help.

Still looking well below average temps here into Mid March. Starting to remind me of last Spring!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

It sounds fun, but I think I would get nervous sitting on River Ice as it is melting. Guessing with some local knowledge and experience that would help.

Still looking well below average temps here into Mid March. Starting to remind me of last Spring!

We are on a normal year sitting on 12 inches of ice and the worst I’ve seen is 8. If it’s less we will sit in the shallows of the lake and catch them on the way to the lake.. I’m hoping for 12 at least I dont want to go to the lake at all

slowpoke
    Perham Mn

Ice fishing at its finest for sure. But many times I’ve seen guys fishing on the ice in the morning and when we leave the river in late afternoon that ice is long gone plus a few more miles. I’ll take the crowds in my boat… its safer.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Ice fishing at its finest for sure. But many times I’ve seen guys fishing on the ice in the morning and when we leave the river in late afternoon that ice is long gone plus a few more miles. I’ll take the crowds in my boat… its safer.

We’ve been doing it along time. Just have to be smart. And cautious. Parking 3 miles away from the launch to jig in a 2 mile stretch of river with 1000 boats gets real old. We did that every year until 1 time our boat didnt fire. We thought we were screwed. But ice fishing saved us and put numbers up that blew away our boat trips. Let alone we are warm all day as well.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Should expect to see some sort of progress this week.

Although, the snow depth is a real concern.

basseyes

Should expect to see some sort of progress this week.

Although, the snow depth is a real concern.

Agreed.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

First boats in at birchdale March 28th.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Bearcat is that US water your fishing or both sides of the river?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I fish the us side. We use a gps and I can pee on the Canadian side where we sit. We leave Thursday so my fingers are crossed something is fishable. If not I’ll be working at the bait shop for a few days

catmando
    wis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>chuck100 wrote:</div>

I fish the us side. We use a gps and I can pee on the Canadian side where we sit. We leave Thursday so my fingers are crossed something is fishable. If not I’ll be working at the bait shop for a few days

Must be young still !

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Yes I am. 30 years old. Still young enough to do dumb things. But I’m getting to the point where some of these dumb things I’m starting to feel for a few days at a time

Joe

How far do you guys think it’ll be come next weekend?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.