Rainy Lake Unicorn

• patk
    Nisswa, MN

Warning, this story will be a bit long.

We kicked this trip off with a bang. In the first few days we caught several pike over 10 pounds with four 14-17 pounds. Somewhere around the fourth day fishing was okay but a definitely slower. Pulled into a spot we don’t fish regularly but looked fishy. Not much going on but we continued to work the routine of cast and retrieve, cast and retrieve, repeat.

After another cast hit the water I glanced over and see my buddy set the hook hard. Lure was about 20 feet from the boat but couldn’t see the fish. Only knew it wasn’t a hammer handle and was coming in nicely. Then just before the boat it rolled a bit so we could see. “BIG FISH” “BIG FISH” “BIG FISH” yelling from both of us like we were complete rookies. The fish decided game on too after seeing the boat!

I’m reeling in as fast as possible so I can grab the net. He’s running back and forth on the bow trying to hang on. I’m chucking my rod on the floor of the boat and then I hear him yell, “It’s a musky!” After more big fish panic we’re in the bow together, the fish is getting closer to being ready, and then we get a really good look. Then we both wonder out loud, “I think our net’s too small, what are we going to do, That’s going to go 45″-50″. After a little convention and a very cooperative fish we gave the net a scoop and the fish folded right in. Exhale!!!

How big was it? Good question. We don’t do bump boards but did try to tape it. Without being picky we’re confident to call it a 45”. On a board it might have gone another inch or two. Just the size of the tail was something to see. Few quick photos and a super clean release.

Why a unicorn, isn’t there a population of musky in Rainy? We’ve heard there is a sustainable population way over in Redgut Bay.

For little background I’ve been going up on the north arm for 15 years. Most of which for 2 separate week long trips with a couple years with one week, have never seen a musky in person in any lake. My fishing partner has never missed a year in his life. He’s the third generation to vacation up there. In better years he would do a month or better each summer. He remembers a single low 20’s musky when he was in college. Stopped in the Fort to visit some friends who are in their 80s. One was part of running a small fish camp for 50 years, the other has lived on the lake most of his life, and both did commercial fishing when they were younger. When shown the pictures, they not only had never seen a musky on the north arm, they had never even heard of one. Then we catch this monster, totally made the trip!

Attachments:
    1. P1140309.jpg

2. P1140312.jpg

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Another one

Attachments:
    1. P1140318.jpg

Deuces

Great story. Awesome fish toast

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

So,how do you top that in future trips? ????
    Well done.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Congrats! That’s awesome, the guides up there usually post one or two a year but definitely few and real far between!

bigpike

Nice fish. Your net looks a bit small for unicorns that size

bigstorm
    Southern WI

Very nice fish! And detail to go along with it

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

WOW! Seeing your net in the picture makes it hilarious! Nice job.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

So,how do you top that in future trips? ????
    Well done.

We talked and probably never will top it. By the time the years go by we’ll just keep telling this story. Who knows, that fish might grow a few inches a year rotflol

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Nice fish. Your net looks a bit small for unicorns that size

October 14, 2019 at 3:07 pm#1884673
    WOW! Seeing your net in the picture makes it hilarious! Nice job.

Did grab the camera for some photos and a quick video before we tried to land the fish. We were pretty worried. Thankfully it was hooked good and cooperated.

We’ve been talking about needing a bigger net but don’t want to deal with a true musky size for day in day out.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.