Rainy lake house boat.

• Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Me and a group of buddies are heading up to rainy on August 1st this year. Leaving rainy lake house boats, we would like to get through the brule narrows and set camp around Saginaw bay. We are all pretty avid fishermen. Any tips for the house boat or rainy that time of year? We camp so extra coolers and what not is planned on planning on walleye on the reefs or up shallow early and late. What else should I be planning for? Thank you in advance! Very excited! I’ve been wanting to go on a house boat since I was old enough to know what a house boat was!

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Also already know about scouting ahead with the fishing boats and navigation shouldn’t be a problem.

Dennis Williams
    Apple Valley, MN

I have not rented a houseboat but I have seen most of the houseboat sites on the east end. I think the site on the east side of Blueberry Island has the best view. It is about 3 miles east of Saginaw. It is R89 on the map. As far as fishing, I would consider getting a Canadian license. When fishing is slow mid day or others times, I would leadcore reefs 30 ft or more.

https://www.nps.gov/voya/planyourvisit/upload/VNP_Houseboats_Map.pdf

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

Walleyes will be ln the humps by then. Both USA and Canadian sides.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

We will be staying in America. I’m hoping for r 50 on duck foot island. Any input on that site? Others down in marion bay?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

We have been going up for 9 years in July and usually at least start the trip east of the Brule. We’ve stayed at Saginaw southwest, duckfoot Island, diamond island and Marion Bay West. Duckfoot and Diamond are nice sandy spots if I remember correctly. Unfortunately you really won’t be able to preplan your site as a lot of them will be full when you get there, but we’ve never had a “bad” site. Some are just a little better for certain things. Bring a ton of different mosquito repellants! And have a dedicated cooler for ice as your HB fridge will only be on when the Generator is running, and you won’t make much ice. Precooling all beverages helps too, and then we use the HB fridge and freezer for food mainly. Walleye Fishing is usually on the reefs that time of year, but if you’re not marking them try the narrows/current areas or weedy bays. Let me know if you have any other questions, once you go you will want to make it an annual deal and makes the BWCA seem like a lot of unnecessary work! rotflol

Ron
    Victoria, mn

When fishing is slow mid day or others times, I would leadcore reefs 30 ft or more.

I guess I think of a reef as a shallow hazard, but yes, those deep humps can produce trolling cranks. I’d also try 2-hook spinner rigs with a half-crawler or slow it way down with a slow death rig.

Dennis Williams
    Apple Valley, MN

Yea, humps would have been a better description/term. Reefs tend to remove lower units.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Thanks guys! Yeah, I realize that we are going to get what ever site is available, gotta hope though. Thanks for the tips. We will have ice coolers for happy hours!

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Normally looking for humps topping out about 25-30 that time of year? What areas have some good cabbage beds? Good areas to troll for big walleye, pike, or muskie?

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

We will only be up Thursday-sunday, so, ice isn’t a huge worry. Planning to bring leeches, crawlers, plastics and hard baits. Hoping to sharpshoot schools on the deeper humps.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Normally looking for humps topping out about 25-30 that time of year? What areas have some good cabbage beds? Good areas to troll for big walleye, pike, or muskie?

Yeah, that is the depth we usually are fishing the humps. There’s plenty of good cabbage beds (usually in bays or soft bottom areas which are usually reflected from the shoreline structure) in areas in and around Saginaw Bay. It really depends a lot on where you camp and how far you want to travel. Whenever we go to a new site I spend a lot of time scouting the area, looking for good looking spots close to home. Also, pay attention on the way out to see where people (esp guides) are fishing, and try and find similar structure close to home. Billy and RLHB does a good job of giving you an idea of what is working at the time too, so chatting fishing with the office before heading out is a great idea.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Thanks BigWerm!

You bet! I had to miss the last two years of our trip due to shoulder surgery and a new fishing buddy, so I am probably as excited as you to get back up there!

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dustin Gesinger wrote:</div>
    Thanks BigWerm!

You bet! I had to miss the last two years of our trip due to shoulder surgery and a new fishing buddy, so I am probably as excited as you to get back up there!

Good luck! I added a fishing buddy last summer as well. It’s crazy how much fishing stuff I have “had” to get for a baby boy!

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Dustin,
    We are almost always up on the East end of Rainy that last week of July/First week of August each year. The last few we have been camping at the Blueberry island site. Can’t help much with houseboat sites since we tent camp, but I can certainly help out with fish info.
    Unfortunately this year we will be on the East end July 4-10th at the Kempton Entrance site (will be camping on Kab July 27-31st, since my in-laws are staying at a resort that same week on Ash River).
    Most of your walleye fishing will be on the offshore humps, or along rocky island shorelines. Typical depths are 25-35′ in August. We mostly lindy rig a leech/half crawler using a 3/4 oz sinker, or pull spinners on 3 oz bouncers. I use both a crawler and leeches on the spinners.
    Your biggest pike are going to be hanging around those humps, eating eye’s.
    Trolling large cranks around the humps can work.
    But due to the stained water, and the deeper water depths, eye fishing can be really good even mid-day on Rainy in August.
    If you’ve never been to Kettle Falls, consider a taking a half day and fishing your way down and back, and check out the hotel and the “Tiltin Hilton” bar there. The run up the river to Kettle Falls is a little tricky (its all bouyed, but can be confusing in a couple spots). There are plenty of spots to fish there and back. Reefs, humps and islands.
    When you get closer, post again and I can shoot you some specific spots. And as BW said, for sure hit Billy up for some intel before you head out. The guy has forgotten more about Rainy than most will even know.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Thank you so much! Kinda what I was thinking.

zooks

Most of your walleye fishing will be on the offshore humps, or along rocky island shorelines. Typical depths are 25-35′ in August. We mostly lindy rig a leech/half crawler using a 3/4 oz sinker, or pull spinners on 3 oz bouncers. I use both a crawler and leeches on the spinners.
    Your biggest pike are going to be hanging around those humps, eating eye’s.
    Trolling large cranks around the humps can work.
    But due to the stained water, and the deeper water depths, eye fishing can be really good even mid-day on Rainy in August.

This is how we’ve always fished as well and we usually don’t even worry about low light fishing – relax in the morning with a big breakfast, fish bankers hours then come back to camp to clean fish/drink beer/play bags.

Our group went 3rd wknd August last year and had to fish a little deeper for keepers, more like 28-35 FOW with both bigger and smaller fish in 20-26 FOW. X2 on using lindy rigs and crawler vs leech depends on the day. Have fun and good luck.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Thanks! Anyone tried jigging/slab raps or shiver minnows?

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

What kind of cranks is everyone using on the lead core?

Dennis Williams
    Apple Valley, MN

In the past I have used Husky Jerks, Original Rapala, Wally Divers and others. Lately I have been using Berkely Flicker Minnows and Shads, mainly because they are less expensive compared to the Rapalas. Berkley also just came out with a jointed shad that I am looking forward to trying. FFarm had all their Berkley shads and minnows on sale last week or the week before for $3.50, they are usually $3.99. If you fish Mille lacs with leadcore a lure can last a long time. On Rainy with all the rock they can go quick.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Thanks! I should be all set then!

Bass-n-Eyes
    Maplewood & Crane Lake, MN

I camp every August on the east end and jigging raps absolutely crush the walleyes out on the humps. By far the most productive bait I’ve ever used there that time of the year.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dustin Gesinger wrote:</div>

I camp every August on the east end and jigging raps absolutely crush the walleyes out on the humps. By far the most productive bait I’ve ever used there that time of the year.

That’s what I like to hear!

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Leaving Thursday morning! Hopefully get through the brule narrows by Thursday afternoon. Any advice for the sagana bay area? Or just check the reefs during the day unless the wind is blowing? Shallow early and late? Any decent trolling runs back in the bay?

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

We had best luck there in about 20ft of water throwing jigs at schools of fish on top of humps. 20-25ft with a jig and fathead. When that stopped producing, we went to 25ft or so flats and pulling bottom bouncers with leeches or crawlers.

We were guided when we went up there a couple of times. So that’s what they had us doing. It was a good program though. Even went to some big boulders to target bigger fish but weren’t able to find anything great there. Locations I’m clueless about. I’ve only been there 2 times and it was 4 or 5 years ago…

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Lots of good fishing areas by Saginaw bay, and you can always get out of the wind on one side of the Brule or the other. Also don’t be afraid to fish in the Brule, I’ve had some great days in there. And in the evening we had our best luck of the trip trolling shallow a few weeks ago.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Get Block ice for your coolers and it will last you a long time versus the cubes. Have a great trip!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.