BONUS BIRD!!!

• Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Wow, what an exciting day of hunting .

Finally had the chance to get out crow hunting this afternoon. We set up in our first spot with not much luck. One bird came in, but stayed high and out of range .

So we went to our second spot which was near a corn feild on the edge of a wood lot. We set up our 3 crow silos and owl deke, cranked up the crow and owl fight tape and waited. After about two mintues I spoted something coming in low through the trees. I immediatly could tell it was too big to be a crow, and as it got a bit closer I realized it was an OWL !!! At that point I started shaking in excitment……I had never had the opportunity to harvest an owl before, and this one was coming RIGHT IN!!!

I pointed it out to my buddy and we got situated for the shot. It ended up swinging wide out of the woods, but still came right to the dekes. My buddy took the first shot…….Clean miss …….but flared it up and over me at about 30yds……I made a solid hit with my lead #6’s and dropped him!!! We were so pumped as we ran over to pick up our prize ……..my first Great Horned Owl…..and a beast at that.

Man was that fun……I think I’m still shaking …..I’m hoping to save up enough $$$ to get him mounted

redrnger

Better check your hunting laws, as I beleive the killing of Great horned owls is against the law, like the shooting of eagles. I’d be worried abput a visit from the game wordens if I WERE YOU.

redrnger

Better check your hunting laws, as I beleive the killing of Great horned owls is against the law, like the shooting of eagles. I’d be worried abput a visit from the game wordens if I WERE YOU.

Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

If you are kidding–bad joke. If you are not–I hope you get what you deserve.

–Whitey

Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

If you are kidding–bad joke. If you are not–I hope you get what you deserve.

–Whitey

Weasel
    WI,Onalaska

not to smart as it is against the law i think. lolol

Weasel
    WI,Onalaska

not to smart as it is against the law i think. lolol

dougie
    Sobieski,Wi

Legal Protection: Great horned owls are protected through the federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act pf 1918. This Act states that it is illegal to harm or kill any raptor species, or to interfere with nests or eggs. It is also illegal to possess any part of a raptor unless permitted by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

The Act provides that it is unlawful to pursue, hunt, take, capture or kill; attempt to take, capture or kill; or possess any migratory bird or part of a bird. Anyone who knowingly takes a migratory bird and intends to, offers to, or actually sells or barters the bird is guilty of a felony, with fines up to $2,000, jail up to two years, or both.

dougie
    Sobieski,Wi

Legal Protection: Great horned owls are protected through the federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act pf 1918. This Act states that it is illegal to harm or kill any raptor species, or to interfere with nests or eggs. It is also illegal to possess any part of a raptor unless permitted by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

The Act provides that it is unlawful to pursue, hunt, take, capture or kill; attempt to take, capture or kill; or possess any migratory bird or part of a bird. Anyone who knowingly takes a migratory bird and intends to, offers to, or actually sells or barters the bird is guilty of a felony, with fines up to $2,000, jail up to two years, or both.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

No worries guys……We were in Wisconsin

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

No worries guys……We were in Wisconsin

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Either I and many others are misinformed or you just broke the law. It was my understanding that you could not kill any birds of prey, which would include the owls

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Either I and many others are misinformed or you just broke the law. It was my understanding that you could not kill any birds of prey, which would include the owls

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

I would delete this post-PRONTO!

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

I would delete this post-PRONTO!

pgoetsch337
    Mazeppa, Minnesota

woops
    Bad Boys, Bad Boys, whatcha gonna do when they come for you!

pgoetsch337
    Mazeppa, Minnesota

woops
    Bad Boys, Bad Boys, whatcha gonna do when they come for you!

jhalfen

Jake, take some friendly advice. It’s time to either pull the plug on your little joke, or to start getting ready for visits from the MN and WI DNR. I’m not a legal expert, but I think that picture of you holding what certainly appears to be a great horned owl constitutes prima facia evidence of your having broken the law in an apparently very serious manner. You should be prepared for one of the people on the site who take fish and game violations very seriously to archive this thread and forward it, including the picture above, to their local warden for investigation and prosecution.

jhalfen

Jake, take some friendly advice. It’s time to either pull the plug on your little joke, or to start getting ready for visits from the MN and WI DNR. I’m not a legal expert, but I think that picture of you holding what certainly appears to be a great horned owl constitutes prima facia evidence of your having broken the law in an apparently very serious manner. You should be prepared for one of the people on the site who take fish and game violations very seriously to archive this thread and forward it, including the picture above, to their local warden for investigation and prosecution.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

The FEDERAL Migratory Act of 1918

I’m not a lawyer, but read the word federal, inferring all states. If I were you, I’d start saving my money for the fines and legal councel and not worry about the taxadermist.
    If this is a joke and you found the bird dead, call your local DNR facility and try to explain what happened. Maybe they’ll believe you.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

The FEDERAL Migratory Act of 1918

I’m not a lawyer, but read the word federal, inferring all states. If I were you, I’d start saving my money for the fines and legal councel and not worry about the taxadermist.
    If this is a joke and you found the bird dead, call your local DNR facility and try to explain what happened. Maybe they’ll believe you.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Come on guys……Nobody out there is gonna try to defend me??? I thought we were all one big family

Alright……Alright……Alright

You guys obviously don’t know me well enough……..I’m not THAT clueless……..maybe I just didn’t make it apparent enough that I was J..O..K..I..N..G..!!!

So before anybody gets their panties in too big of a bunch

Here’s the TRUE story…..

The last couple days a buddy and I have been out wandering the Mississippi backwaters searching for secret duck hunting holes (it’s easier to get around on frozen marsh ). Anywho, yesterday we ended up waaaaay back in an area that we always thought was closed to duck hunting, but found refuge signs that stated otherwise. So today we ended up at the Upper Miss. River National Wildlife and Fish Refuge headquaters talking to a high ranking DNR official about it. After a bit of disscussion, our new DNR buddy gave us his phone number and promised to check into it and get back to us. Well after that we decided to head back out into the bottoms and see if we couldn’t figure it out ourselves.

Here’s were Mr. Owl comes in…….As we cut across the woods my buddy stumbles over this already DEAD owl . Now, we were both aware it would be illegal to take/remove this protected bird of prey with out proper permission first…….and wasn’t it convienet we just got ahold of the local DNR mans phone number . So, through the wonders of advanced cellular technology, we were able to gain the proper permission to transport the bird back to the DNR headquaters where it will be mounted and put on display for educational purposes .

So that’s the story……..I’m sorry if I offended or made anyone overly distraut in my attempt to get a rial out of ya. Obviously it worked

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Come on guys……Nobody out there is gonna try to defend me??? I thought we were all one big family

Alright……Alright……Alright

You guys obviously don’t know me well enough……..I’m not THAT clueless……..maybe I just didn’t make it apparent enough that I was J..O..K..I..N..G..!!!

So before anybody gets their panties in too big of a bunch

Here’s the TRUE story…..

The last couple days a buddy and I have been out wandering the Mississippi backwaters searching for secret duck hunting holes (it’s easier to get around on frozen marsh ). Anywho, yesterday we ended up waaaaay back in an area that we always thought was closed to duck hunting, but found refuge signs that stated otherwise. So today we ended up at the Upper Miss. River National Wildlife and Fish Refuge headquaters talking to a high ranking DNR official about it. After a bit of disscussion, our new DNR buddy gave us his phone number and promised to check into it and get back to us. Well after that we decided to head back out into the bottoms and see if we couldn’t figure it out ourselves.

Here’s were Mr. Owl comes in…….As we cut across the woods my buddy stumbles over this already DEAD owl . Now, we were both aware it would be illegal to take/remove this protected bird of prey with out proper permission first…….and wasn’t it convienet we just got ahold of the local DNR mans phone number . So, through the wonders of advanced cellular technology, we were able to gain the proper permission to transport the bird back to the DNR headquaters where it will be mounted and put on display for educational purposes .

So that’s the story……..I’m sorry if I offended or made anyone overly distraut in my attempt to get a rial out of ya. Obviously it worked

Brian Lyons

Jake, was this bird blind in one eye ?

Brian Lyons

Jake, was this bird blind in one eye ?

redrnger

I am one of those people. The thought that someone would shoot such a bird, just to kill something really burns my butt.A federaly protected bird means that NO state shall allow the birds to be shot for anyreason. You are not even allowed to pick up a dead one with out first reporting it to the proper attorities. It’s a beautiful thing to be sitting in a boat on the river and listening to one of these birds calling and now it’s silenced forever.Your kind just gives peta people more ammo, to use against us. This has been reported to both STATES DNR AS IGNORANCE IS NO EXCUSE.

redrnger

I am one of those people. The thought that someone would shoot such a bird, just to kill something really burns my butt.A federaly protected bird means that NO state shall allow the birds to be shot for anyreason. You are not even allowed to pick up a dead one with out first reporting it to the proper attorities. It’s a beautiful thing to be sitting in a boat on the river and listening to one of these birds calling and now it’s silenced forever.Your kind just gives peta people more ammo, to use against us. This has been reported to both STATES DNR AS IGNORANCE IS NO EXCUSE.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Guys

Read Jake’s last post, please. It was found dead AND he got the needed approval from the DNR to move the bird.

Quote:

This has been reported to both STATES DNR AS IGNORANCE IS NO EXCUSE.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Guys

Read Jake’s last post, please. It was found dead AND he got the needed approval from the DNR to move the bird.

Quote:

This has been reported to both STATES DNR AS IGNORANCE IS NO EXCUSE.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

And Jake, buddy ‘ol pal… please behave yourself so the phone calls and PM’s stop. Nuff said?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.