Weekend hunt!

• krisko
    Durand, WI

I’ve tried that before. It doesn’t work I don’t think. The wounded one seems to keep them away like you said. I’ve heard this from several “old timers”

krisko
    Durand, WI

I’ve tried that before. It doesn’t work I don’t think. The wounded one seems to keep them away like you said. I’ve heard this from several “old timers”

buckmaster

I am finding out a lot of things that don’t work. I hit up a field with a little patch of woods today after work and I got on the edge of the woods and was calling, well about 2 minutes later I had 3 crows coming towards me. A couple of them started to get what sounded to me to be very excited (sound I never heard them do before), so I tried to mock them and get excited as well, but it was a matter of seconds after that new sound I made before they all did a 180 and were gone. Not sure if I can do that call again, but then again I will not be trying it ever again. Guess, you just have to stick to the basic calling or what you know works. Just like any other hunting though. Thinking about it now, I am not sure what the deal was…….I was hidden well enough, well I think so anyways. Wonder if there was something else around that I couldn’t see that might of spooked them. O.K. enough of that, I guess I will just blame it on my calling…

buckmaster

I am finding out a lot of things that don’t work. I hit up a field with a little patch of woods today after work and I got on the edge of the woods and was calling, well about 2 minutes later I had 3 crows coming towards me. A couple of them started to get what sounded to me to be very excited (sound I never heard them do before), so I tried to mock them and get excited as well, but it was a matter of seconds after that new sound I made before they all did a 180 and were gone. Not sure if I can do that call again, but then again I will not be trying it ever again. Guess, you just have to stick to the basic calling or what you know works. Just like any other hunting though. Thinking about it now, I am not sure what the deal was…….I was hidden well enough, well I think so anyways. Wonder if there was something else around that I couldn’t see that might of spooked them. O.K. enough of that, I guess I will just blame it on my calling…

jeweler
    Wisconsin

Sometimes they just decide it is not a good place to be. Yeah I have found that if you just keep calling the way you were calling when they got there that you will be better off! Never made it out this weekend. Went coyote hunting instead which I would have had better luck watching paint dry. With this warm weather more critters should be locating dead animals that were under the snow. So if you can find these spots you will be better off.

jeweler
    Wisconsin

Sometimes they just decide it is not a good place to be. Yeah I have found that if you just keep calling the way you were calling when they got there that you will be better off! Never made it out this weekend. Went coyote hunting instead which I would have had better luck watching paint dry. With this warm weather more critters should be locating dead animals that were under the snow. So if you can find these spots you will be better off.

herb
    6ft under

Sorry Buckmaster, I haven’t been to the forum for a few days. The wounded crow always worked for me. Here’s how I did the set up. Set your owl on a fence post and a couple crow dekes either on the ground or in tree branches nearby. You know, the usual set up. I try to use the electric call with the crow and owl fight tape. Keep it running. If you wing a bird, tie a string to his leg and tie the other end to a branch or right to the fence post under the owl and let him flop and fight the string. Keep the tape running. Don’t let the wounded bird make the only noise out there. Keep the tape running. The comination of a floping bird, the owl decoy, and the fight tape noise will get those crows mad.
    Now, the only time this hasn’t worked for me is when I’m set up in areas of educated birds. Yeah, they learn fast. I’m not sure what went wrong with your set up. The only time I’ll use a mouth call is when I’m with a couple other people with with mouth calls, or if I don’t have the decoys. Otherwise I’ll always run the tapes.
    Don’t give up. Play with it, maybe you’ll see a better way as you go along.

herb
    6ft under

Sorry Buckmaster, I haven’t been to the forum for a few days. The wounded crow always worked for me. Here’s how I did the set up. Set your owl on a fence post and a couple crow dekes either on the ground or in tree branches nearby. You know, the usual set up. I try to use the electric call with the crow and owl fight tape. Keep it running. If you wing a bird, tie a string to his leg and tie the other end to a branch or right to the fence post under the owl and let him flop and fight the string. Keep the tape running. Don’t let the wounded bird make the only noise out there. Keep the tape running. The comination of a floping bird, the owl decoy, and the fight tape noise will get those crows mad.
    Now, the only time this hasn’t worked for me is when I’m set up in areas of educated birds. Yeah, they learn fast. I’m not sure what went wrong with your set up. The only time I’ll use a mouth call is when I’m with a couple other people with with mouth calls, or if I don’t have the decoys. Otherwise I’ll always run the tapes.
    Don’t give up. Play with it, maybe you’ll see a better way as you go along.

duckilr
    Mississippi River

I try to mix the e-caller with mouth calls, just to get directional and pitch changes and that seems to work pretty good. Also I have heard that the owl decoy should always be placed higher up than the crow decoys. Don’t know what the deal is with that, but that’s what I have heard. I haven’t really hunted too much with an owl decoy so I can’t tell you that is completely legit from my expierence. Good luck, it never hurts to try new stuff, that’s how ya learn.

duckilr
    Mississippi River

I try to mix the e-caller with mouth calls, just to get directional and pitch changes and that seems to work pretty good. Also I have heard that the owl decoy should always be placed higher up than the crow decoys. Don’t know what the deal is with that, but that’s what I have heard. I haven’t really hunted too much with an owl decoy so I can’t tell you that is completely legit from my expierence. Good luck, it never hurts to try new stuff, that’s how ya learn.

buckmaster

Herb,

That is o.k., hard to be in 2 places at one time ya know. I would have to blame most of the problems on my set-up. First off, the owl decoy was in the truck and I was to lazy to walk 500 yards thru 3 feet of snow to get it. Then I am sure it didn’t help that I was running thru the woods and open field. Just was one of those days. Probably will never have another day like that one, but that is just my luck.

Thanks for the tip Herb. I will be using that one next time. Also Duckilr, I think using the e-caller and mouth call is a great way to mix things up just like you said.

Now that I think about it I have heard the same thing on keeping the owl decoy higher then the crow decoys. Never tried it myself, but then again I am figuring out different things that work and don’t work every time I go. Guess step 1 to successful crow hunting would be making to the woods…. Anyone ever try this or heard it before?

buckmaster

Herb,

That is o.k., hard to be in 2 places at one time ya know. I would have to blame most of the problems on my set-up. First off, the owl decoy was in the truck and I was to lazy to walk 500 yards thru 3 feet of snow to get it. Then I am sure it didn’t help that I was running thru the woods and open field. Just was one of those days. Probably will never have another day like that one, but that is just my luck.

Thanks for the tip Herb. I will be using that one next time. Also Duckilr, I think using the e-caller and mouth call is a great way to mix things up just like you said.

Now that I think about it I have heard the same thing on keeping the owl decoy higher then the crow decoys. Never tried it myself, but then again I am figuring out different things that work and don’t work every time I go. Guess step 1 to successful crow hunting would be making to the woods…. Anyone ever try this or heard it before?

locallaw

Mr Buckmaster, since this is my first post at this board, you can take this any way you like.
    Using live or wounded bait in the taking of game can in some states be a game violation even though it is not so stated in the game regs. Where I would have the most concern is the posting of the pictures of the wounded crow being used as bait/decoy. Just think if PETA or the Humae Society gets wind of this how it could be used. It could affect all hunters and protray a very poor image to the non-hunting public.
    With all of the e-caller available now days there is no reason or need to use a wounded decoy.

It is hard to understand a BB and the Mods allow such a post

goodday, locallaw

locallaw

Mr Buckmaster, since this is my first post at this board, you can take this any way you like.
    Using live or wounded bait in the taking of game can in some states be a game violation even though it is not so stated in the game regs. Where I would have the most concern is the posting of the pictures of the wounded crow being used as bait/decoy. Just think if PETA or the Humae Society gets wind of this how it could be used. It could affect all hunters and protray a very poor image to the non-hunting public.
    With all of the e-caller available now days there is no reason or need to use a wounded decoy.

It is hard to understand a BB and the Mods allow such a post

goodday, locallaw

duckilr
    Mississippi River

I am having a hard time figuring out why this is such a controversial topic (crow hunting). I found this article on http://www.crowbusters.com

Except for the handful of recipes for preparing crow, why in this day of rampant animal rights fanaticism, should we continue to hunt and kill an animal that has no real monetary value? The reason is that the crow has and continues to exhibit behavior that ranges from simply annoying to highly destructive. In agricultural areas, be it the pecan plantations of the south or the cornfields of the mid-west, crows continue to account for extensive crop damage, including the nasty habit of pulling up sprouting grain in the spring. Western crows have the worst reputation for crop damage, especially because of their habit of congregating by the thousands to feed on cultivated fruits and nuts. Often, they end the day by raiding a nearby watermelon field in order to save a trip to a distant watering place. Under such conditions, total crop loss can occur.
    Where their ranges overlap, crows severely impact the annual waterfowl populations. When the hens begin laying, crows break open and eat the eggs. Later they will return and devour the fledglings. In the 40’s a biological survey was conducted that really shows the damage crows can cause to the waterfowl in the Canadian “Duck Factory”. It was shown that crows in close proximity to duck nesting areas took an average of 110 to 120 eggs or fledglings per crow per year, approximately 20,000,000 ducks. During the same year, sportsman only took 11,000,000 ducks. A common slogan of the time was “Kill a crow, Save a duck”. At a time when waterfowl seasons are being dramatically reduced and even canceled, the survival rate of waterfowl at their breeding grounds is paramount. Shooting crows can make a real difference. Crows also take a heavy toll on upland game birds, including direct responsibility for at least 4 1/2 percent nest depredation on ruffed grouse and in California crows have been implicated in the endangerment of the Mojave desert tortoise. They also prey on small mammals such as rabbits and squirrels and have been known to kill prey as large as newborn lambs.

In the past twenty years, there has been a crow population explosion in the suburban areas around the country, especially the East. It is now common to awaken to the call of crows in many suburban backyards where only a few years ago, it was somewhat rare. In fact, many large roosts are forming within the beltways of major cities. Besides the nuisance factor of torn open trash bags and backyard droppings, the effect on the local songbird populations is incalculable.

More recently, crows have been identified as a carrier of the West Nile Virus, an encephalitis type virus that has killed at least 155 people to date. Crows have been found to be prime carriers of the mosquito borne disease because of their highly sensitive nature to the virus and their roosting habits. Blood tests are currently being conducted throughout the East (see CROW BUSTERS Cooperates with West Nile Virus Research), but this disease will continue to be a concern due to the crow’s migratory nature.

Having said all this, I believe the crow deserves our admiration and should be considered more than just a nuisance bird by hunters. The crow is the most intelligent of all birds in North America. As such, they can be a challenging and worthy adversary that, kept under control, are a welcome part of nature’s complex tapestry. Based on the outcome of man/crow conflicts throughout history, the crow will no doubt continue to be a source of many frustrating hours afield for those of us who call ourselves “Crow Hunters”.

duckilr
    Mississippi River

I am having a hard time figuring out why this is such a controversial topic (crow hunting). I found this article on http://www.crowbusters.com

Except for the handful of recipes for preparing crow, why in this day of rampant animal rights fanaticism, should we continue to hunt and kill an animal that has no real monetary value? The reason is that the crow has and continues to exhibit behavior that ranges from simply annoying to highly destructive. In agricultural areas, be it the pecan plantations of the south or the cornfields of the mid-west, crows continue to account for extensive crop damage, including the nasty habit of pulling up sprouting grain in the spring. Western crows have the worst reputation for crop damage, especially because of their habit of congregating by the thousands to feed on cultivated fruits and nuts. Often, they end the day by raiding a nearby watermelon field in order to save a trip to a distant watering place. Under such conditions, total crop loss can occur.
    Where their ranges overlap, crows severely impact the annual waterfowl populations. When the hens begin laying, crows break open and eat the eggs. Later they will return and devour the fledglings. In the 40’s a biological survey was conducted that really shows the damage crows can cause to the waterfowl in the Canadian “Duck Factory”. It was shown that crows in close proximity to duck nesting areas took an average of 110 to 120 eggs or fledglings per crow per year, approximately 20,000,000 ducks. During the same year, sportsman only took 11,000,000 ducks. A common slogan of the time was “Kill a crow, Save a duck”. At a time when waterfowl seasons are being dramatically reduced and even canceled, the survival rate of waterfowl at their breeding grounds is paramount. Shooting crows can make a real difference. Crows also take a heavy toll on upland game birds, including direct responsibility for at least 4 1/2 percent nest depredation on ruffed grouse and in California crows have been implicated in the endangerment of the Mojave desert tortoise. They also prey on small mammals such as rabbits and squirrels and have been known to kill prey as large as newborn lambs.

In the past twenty years, there has been a crow population explosion in the suburban areas around the country, especially the East. It is now common to awaken to the call of crows in many suburban backyards where only a few years ago, it was somewhat rare. In fact, many large roosts are forming within the beltways of major cities. Besides the nuisance factor of torn open trash bags and backyard droppings, the effect on the local songbird populations is incalculable.

More recently, crows have been identified as a carrier of the West Nile Virus, an encephalitis type virus that has killed at least 155 people to date. Crows have been found to be prime carriers of the mosquito borne disease because of their highly sensitive nature to the virus and their roosting habits. Blood tests are currently being conducted throughout the East (see CROW BUSTERS Cooperates with West Nile Virus Research), but this disease will continue to be a concern due to the crow’s migratory nature.

Having said all this, I believe the crow deserves our admiration and should be considered more than just a nuisance bird by hunters. The crow is the most intelligent of all birds in North America. As such, they can be a challenging and worthy adversary that, kept under control, are a welcome part of nature’s complex tapestry. Based on the outcome of man/crow conflicts throughout history, the crow will no doubt continue to be a source of many frustrating hours afield for those of us who call ourselves “Crow Hunters”.

buckmaster

I totally agree with you on the PETA or Humae Society getting wind of this, that is the last thing this site needs. Me personally I don’t need any trouble with anything at all. I didn’t post or start this forum, trying to start a war, but to better myself in the field and hopefully better others.

Besides me saying that it was wounded, does it look like it was? Could I of taken this picture off the internet and feed you all full of BS? Could I be a photographer and not really be a hunter at all? With this thing we call the internet today, I find it hard to believe much of anything I find anymore. People can tamper with anything and everything a person does on the internet, so that is why I find it hard to believe things.

For the regs: I read my regulations page by page and not in any single place did I ever read anything about using a wounded animal as a decoy illegal. Now like you all stated, does this mean it is legal? NO!!! Could I have read over it? Very much so, but if people follow the law or what is stated in writing as the law I don’t see a problem. I will be willing to bet that this such deal might be stated in 2005 or 2006 regulations. Maybe….maybe not!!!!

If anyone sees it is writing please post, not just for me but for others as well!!!

buckmaster

I totally agree with you on the PETA or Humae Society getting wind of this, that is the last thing this site needs. Me personally I don’t need any trouble with anything at all. I didn’t post or start this forum, trying to start a war, but to better myself in the field and hopefully better others.

Besides me saying that it was wounded, does it look like it was? Could I of taken this picture off the internet and feed you all full of BS? Could I be a photographer and not really be a hunter at all? With this thing we call the internet today, I find it hard to believe much of anything I find anymore. People can tamper with anything and everything a person does on the internet, so that is why I find it hard to believe things.

For the regs: I read my regulations page by page and not in any single place did I ever read anything about using a wounded animal as a decoy illegal. Now like you all stated, does this mean it is legal? NO!!! Could I have read over it? Very much so, but if people follow the law or what is stated in writing as the law I don’t see a problem. I will be willing to bet that this such deal might be stated in 2005 or 2006 regulations. Maybe….maybe not!!!!

If anyone sees it is writing please post, not just for me but for others as well!!!

herb
    6ft under

I’d better make a post here since it seems I’m the one who started this controvery in the first place. All this reaction made me do some reading on our Iowa hunting regulations and low and behold I was breaking the law. Live animals may not be used as decoys for any type of hunting. I apologize to Buckmaster for the method of taking crows I posted. The last thing I want to happen is for a site member to get in trouble for game violations. Here I was breaking the law and never realized it till now. Thanks guys for throwing such a fit. I needed woke up I guess. Now then, as far as useing a wounded crow as a decoy being ethical or not, it doesn’t bother me in the least, and I wish it was legal to do. When you get to where you are so afraid of what peta or anyother group of antis think about how you go about your outdoor activities, You better give up and stay in the house.
    Once again, I apologize if anyone got in trouble because of my booboo.
    herb

herb
    6ft under

I’d better make a post here since it seems I’m the one who started this controvery in the first place. All this reaction made me do some reading on our Iowa hunting regulations and low and behold I was breaking the law. Live animals may not be used as decoys for any type of hunting. I apologize to Buckmaster for the method of taking crows I posted. The last thing I want to happen is for a site member to get in trouble for game violations. Here I was breaking the law and never realized it till now. Thanks guys for throwing such a fit. I needed woke up I guess. Now then, as far as useing a wounded crow as a decoy being ethical or not, it doesn’t bother me in the least, and I wish it was legal to do. When you get to where you are so afraid of what peta or anyother group of antis think about how you go about your outdoor activities, You better give up and stay in the house.
    Once again, I apologize if anyone got in trouble because of my booboo.
    herb

jeweler
    Wisconsin

That is exactly right Herb! People can not tell me that when they cross the street that they use a cross walk every single time! That is illegal too, but people still do it. I would also venture to guess that some of you are not hired by your employer to type on/visit websites, but you still do that too! Point is, if it is illegal or not it still is a productive method of taking crows. “In some states it is illegal” and in others it is NOT!!! Nobody needs to state where they were hunting and at the beginning nobody did. Things were wrote but nobody said I was hunting in a particular spot at a particular time! So if you want to post methods of harvesting crows then go ahead, I am all for it. We are here to work together not against each other. You can either go through life scared of who might see you or you can go out and make the most of what you have. The pic was posted I believe to “demonstrate” what that situation would look like! Lets get back to why we ALL view this site, helping each other take crows!

jeweler
    Wisconsin

That is exactly right Herb! People can not tell me that when they cross the street that they use a cross walk every single time! That is illegal too, but people still do it. I would also venture to guess that some of you are not hired by your employer to type on/visit websites, but you still do that too! Point is, if it is illegal or not it still is a productive method of taking crows. “In some states it is illegal” and in others it is NOT!!! Nobody needs to state where they were hunting and at the beginning nobody did. Things were wrote but nobody said I was hunting in a particular spot at a particular time! So if you want to post methods of harvesting crows then go ahead, I am all for it. We are here to work together not against each other. You can either go through life scared of who might see you or you can go out and make the most of what you have. The pic was posted I believe to “demonstrate” what that situation would look like! Lets get back to why we ALL view this site, helping each other take crows!

locallaw

Hey guys, I was not trying to imtimadate anyone here just pointing out that we don’t as all types of hunters to give the anti’s fuel for their war against us.
    Good luck with the crow hunting

locallaw

Hey guys, I was not trying to imtimadate anyone here just pointing out that we don’t as all types of hunters to give the anti’s fuel for their war against us.
    Good luck with the crow hunting

jeweler
    Wisconsin

I agree that we do not need to give them fuel against us. Good luck hunting all!!!!!!!!!!

jeweler
    Wisconsin

I agree that we do not need to give them fuel against us. Good luck hunting all!!!!!!!!!!

herb
    6ft under

Ummmmm how was the crow hunting today guys?
    Good I hope. I happened to notice while running beaver traps that we seem to have way more geese in the bottoms now than we do crows. Or else the honking drowned out the cawing.

herb
    6ft under

Ummmmm how was the crow hunting today guys?
    Good I hope. I happened to notice while running beaver traps that we seem to have way more geese in the bottoms now than we do crows. Or else the honking drowned out the cawing.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Herb-I am sure glad that you came out and stated exactly how I feel about the PETA and anti people. It seems they are winning their battle by instilling fear into the hearts of hunters and fisherman. Almost all of the websites are so afraid of what PETA might see that it is almost impossible to get a thread started before it is zapped. People, PETA and the Anti’s already have the fuel. We need to continue on with what we do and not back down from these clowns. That’s all I got to say ’bout that

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 101 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.