Prepping for fawns

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Losing 7 out of 8 weekends due to crappy weather has set me way behind. But time to do what I can. This side of the field has been let go for about 15 years. Getting it cut back and making piles. Every spring I see the does using these piles for the fawns. My spoiled kids!

Attachments:
    1. E590CCEE-0EC0-4836-90EA-359DBFED037C.jpeg

2. 73671ACF-390B-4246-9B06-C3E86C4A1568.jpeg

3. 1AEE33B0-EF77-4D3C-8EDD-97AED20690A6.jpeg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Losing 7 out of 8 weekends due to crappy weather has set me way behind. But time to do what I can. This side of the field has been let go for about 15 years. Getting it cut back and making piles. Every spring I see the does using these piles for the fawns. My spoiled kids!

waytogo waytogo waytogo

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Seen my first fawn yesterday, driving by the hunting land and I though there was a small dog laying on the shoulder of the dirt road. It was a fresh looking fawn, she was tiny. So I parked sideways blocking both ways of direction and watched her struggle to get up and move down the Ditch. Mama finally came out of the swamp and nosed her down the Ditch and in to the tall grass. It was a fun sight to see.

Jimmy Jones

We saw a doe with a fawn in tow Sunday as she crossed an old bean field. We pulled over and watched until they got in high weeds on the other side of the field. Cute little critter for sure. It was a bit far off for a decent picture. Amazing how tiny they are when they’re relatively new.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

We saw a doe with a fawn in tow Sunday as she crossed an old bean field. We pulled over and watched until they got in high weeds on the other side of the field. Cute little critter for sure. It was a bit far off for a decent picture. Amazing how tiny they are when they’re relatively new.

Tiny. This one was the size of our big house cat, just a little longer legs. I didn’t think to take a picture until mama already was nosing it down the Ditch. Very cool to watch.

steelslinger71

Came across this little darling while hunting mushrooms yesterday.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3090.jpeg

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

It will be interesting to see how the winter effects the # of Fawns this spring. My guess is that Fawn #’s will be way down. Especially the # of Twin Fawns. Been on the lookout for some, but so far none. Always cool to see them.

Jimmy Jones

I don’t think winter hurt fawn production here in the SE. Highways and secondary road traffic, now that’s a different story. Lots of road kills.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I prepped for fawns this year by removing all the buckthorn/low brush near the creek that the doe used to keep the fawns in the last 3 years. Why? Because two years ago she jumped my fence and attacked my dog. It must have worked cause I saw her and last year’s fawn about 3 weeks ago and haven’t seen a deer around since. I know she had to have dropped it if she was carrying one. I’m sure I’ll see them in a month when the fawn starts moving around with her.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

It will be interesting to see how the winter effects the # of Fawns this spring. My guess is that Fawn #’s will be way down. Especially the # of Twin Fawns. Been on the lookout for some, but so far none. Always cool to see them.

I’ve seen 10 or 11 since I originally posted.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I saw last year’s fawn from the doe that attacked my dog so she must have dropped this year’s fawn. I’m sure I’ll see them in 2-3 weeks. My neighbor’s yard is one of the only houses that doesn’t have dogs so the deer like to hang out in it.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Seen 7 fawns here so far. Two sets of twins

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I saw the doe and it’s twins this morning. I’ll have to ask my neighbor 2 doors down if she had them in his yard. My buckthorn removal seems to have worked.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1397.jpg

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.