Post Opener Reports

• lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I am not up this weekend but curious how the cold front this weekend affects fishing. That and the influx of stained water still from last week. As mentioned in previous thread, opener was very slow fishing for most.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Fishing was really good this morning on sand. We had our three slot fish by 12:30. 12-14’

lindyrig79

Thanks for the replies. I should have a report to post this week.

Ripjiggen

It was better for me than opener. Fish should start moving to second breaks and off shore structure this week a bit more. Plenty of fish that are not hitting anything in sight like a few years ago, but IMO that is a good thing.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Plenty of fish that are not hitting anything in sight like a few years ago, but IMO that is a good thing.

I agree, that means there is more food in the lake at this time.

The results of that MTT event show the winning team with only 21+ pounds on 5 fish. Just 2 years ago, it was taking 35 pounds to win those.

Ripjiggen

^^^That has more to do with the cycling of the of the fish and age classes. Just not many big fish left. It will be back to that again in a handful of years though when the 13 class starts to get in the mid 20’s and larger.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I remember going out and catching 26,27 and 28″ fish and getting mad no eaters size to take home. Now its the total opposite. I miss the good old days…….

Ripjiggen

Just wait a few more years and it will be the good old days again.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I would honesty rather have a more balanced population with some smaller fish mixed in than a bloated population of all those older, bigger 24-27 inchers we had for years. Those bigger fish were often pretty easy to catch out on the mud flats because they were always so hungry, but they represented a massive eating machine in the lake. And when there wasn’t enough perch, they ate the small walleyes. A tougher bite would seem to indicate that there’s enough food at the moment too. Those things were always so skinny and unhealthy looking too.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

I would honesty rather have a more balanced population with some smaller fish mixed in than a bloated population of all those older, bigger 24-27 inchers we had for years. Those bigger fish were often pretty easy to catch out on the mud flats because they were always so hungry, but they represented a massive eating machine in the lake. And when there wasn’t enough perch, they ate the small walleyes. A tougher bite would seem to indicate that there’s enough food at the moment too. Those things were always so skinny and unhealthy looking too.

I agree. I’m not a Mille Lacs regular but have fished it over the years to see the changes people talk about.

Catching large numbers of 4#, 25-26″ fish on the mud that looked like they had been caught twice the day before are not what I’d call the “good old days.”

IF more forage truly is the reason for a tougher bite the past year and a half, I’d say it’s definitely a good thing for the lake.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I just fished the lake the past couple days and it’s in great shape! Lots of fish you can keep and plenty of fish of all sizes.

Attachments:
    1. 20220523_162814-scaled.jpg

2. 20220523_154528-scaled.jpg

3. 20220523_163521-scaled.jpg

4. 20220523_145056-scaled.jpg

5. 20220523_1221310-scaled.jpg

lindyrig79

Nice work, Joe!

Ripjiggen

Great job Joe. Definitely fish to be had out there.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Thanks guys. Fish were going well on leeches and minnows equally. Caught fish from 6′-17′.

Yesterday it seemed leeches were better and now today minnows were the clear winner.

Tutt’s bait in Garrison has a great selection of bait BTW. The new owners look to be trying hard to do a good job. That’s rare these days.

lindyrig79

Thanks for the update. I used to love Tutts. Seems like they went downhill for awhile. Glad there is new ownership!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

I 100% agree with this. Having the lake return to the days with a ton of BIG fish is not what this lake needs. It wasn’t before and will never be. All those old past their prime spawning age females, along with a lack of male fish does nothing but harm to the lake. On top of that add in all the bait that those big old fish need to consume to survive and its a recipe for disaster.

Ripjiggen

What do you think is going to happen in five years when the 2013 class grows into mid to upper 20 inch fish. They are not going to disappear. They have been protected there whole life. It will cycle back. Then they will say the big walleye are eating the small walleye. Round and round we go.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

What do you think is going to happen in five years when the 2013 class grows into mid to upper 20 inch fish. They are not going to disappear. They have been protected there whole life. It will cycle back. Then they will say the big walleye are eating the small walleye. Round and round we go.

I would expect that to be the case. Hopefully there is an adequate amount of forage in the lake when that eating machine matures.

Ryan Haller

Went out yesterday morning but go a late start. Started fishing little before 9. Found some fish on 1st break on east side on side imaging. Pitched jigs to them and got 1 right away and missed another really aggressive hit. Bite lasted for bout 1/2 hr with overcast sky’s and light wind. When that sun popped out and lake laid flat, I went another 5 hrs without a bite. Tried north end sand, north end 1st break, 1st break gravel, etc. Man that bite is tough right now during the day, especially with high skies and no wind.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

No wind and sunny skies never seem to produce, unless you target smallies on beds

lindyrig79

We are getting a fish here and there but overall slow. Most fish are right at 18” however did get one keeper today just under 22”. Felt good to clean one! Leeches have been best for us.

empty_stringer
    Wahkon, Mn

Up till last night shallow rocks, slip bobber with a leech 7:00 pm – dark has produced for us. 6 fish in the slot and lots of 20’s.

Ryan Haller

Anybody out today that can report on the tree pollen debris that was horrible on Friday and if it’s cleared up or not?

Ripjiggen

No issues today but it’s blowing decent too.

lindyrig79

The pollen issue has cleared up with the wind. Today was the best I’ve seen yet this year when the clouds and breeze came. A pretty good day bite and even got another keeper with two kids in tow.

Red Eye

Fished off and on Friday Saturday and Sunday in between rain and storms. North end sand was good when we had wind. Able to side image pods on the sand, spotlock and pitch to em. East side rocks were ok one evening. Boated 50 total for the weekend with 3 guys. Mix of shinners and leeches

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Fished off and on Friday Saturday and Sunday in between rain and storms. North end sand was good when we had wind. Able to side image pods on the sand, spotlock and pitch to em. East side rocks were ok one evening. Boated 50 total for the weekend with 3 guys. Mix of shinners and leeches

Nice report Red Eye. What is the current water temp?

lindyrig79

I had about 57 degrees on the NE side

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.