Post Opener Reports

• Ripjiggen

Found about the same. Was kind of crazy how quite it was on the lake for holiday weekend. At one point on Sunday I could only see two other boats total.

Red Eye

We made the same comment. Wasn’t all that long ago that we would come off at 12-2:00 and there would be 50-100 rigs sitting on the side of the road in front of every public access and resort. North end sand was very quiet, even for the evening bobber bite. We had temps from 58-62.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Most of the reports here have been for walleyes. Has anyone tried targeting smallmouth? I’m gonna give it a try either tomorrow or saturday based on the wind factor. Assuming the water is still 60 or below, they would still be prespawn and up relatively shallow. I’m thinking jerk bait.

Would appreciate a scouting report if anyone has one.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I don’t do a lot of smallmouth but did spend a little time casting and looking around some shallow rocks last weekend where I’ve caught them before. Didn’t hook up and did see any of the other bass boats land one either. Small sample size though. I was tossing small crank baits and jig/plastics

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Most of the reports here have been for walleyes. Has anyone tried targeting smallmouth? I’m gonna give it a try either tomorrow or saturday based on the wind factor. Assuming the water is still 60 or below, they would still be prespawn and up relatively shallow. I’m thinking jerk bait.

61 yesterday evening. Can’t speak for the bass, but I ran out after work since I haven’t been on the pond yet this year and boated 15 walleye in 2 hours. Can’t complain with that!

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

Just got home yesterday. Water was 57 – 59 deg. Sunday I started about 2 pm and got 16 smallies on the X-rap. Half were 18 – 19″. Biggest 19 3/4″ Lost 2 days of fishing for storms and wind. Super fun watching your jerk bait suddenly disappear on a pause.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Just got home yesterday. Water was 57 – 59 deg. Sunday I started about 2 pm and got 16 smallies on the X-rap. Half were 18 – 19″. Biggest 19 3/4″ Lost 2 days of fishing for storms and wind. Super fun watching your jerk bait suddenly disappear on a pause.

Thanks a lot, good report Gizmo.

lindyrig79

Fish fly hatch has started, FYI

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Fished a little contest tonight with and against some Co workers.

We fished from 3-7pm, and caught 10 walleye. The 2 other boats had 1 and 2 fish. It was pretty windy, but we still managed to have fun! Won some money out of the deal too!

All our fish came on slip bobbers and leeches. Suspended 4ft off bottom in 12 to 16 ft of water.

lindyrig79

Hard to beat a slip bobber and leech on Mille Lacs. Ever since having kids, that has been my go-to tactic to put fish in the boat.

lindyrig79

Overall I’d say the weekend fishing was fair. Plenty of slow reports coming in, especially with the high sun we had all weekend. The weather was very pleasant though and we did have some good fishing at times. Spent some time in smallie country today and my son caught this one.

Attachments:
    1. 5005F95C-B0E3-4493-BBAF-904C3CF519EC-scaled.jpeg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’ve never seen so many bass anglers as I did on Saturday. With the wind blowing hard out of the south, every access down there was completely full by 7am. Then I realized there was some sort of big high school event which would explain all the boats. Went up to Liberty Beach and it was mostly empty. Then I realized why: 3 foot rollers there. I tried launching, got about 100 yards out, took a wave over the bow, turned around, and went right back in. Looked like the Bering Sea out there and I wasn’t about to fish in it.

I can confirm the big bug hatch. My truck was covered in them. Beyond disgusting.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Fishing was pretty steady until wind died down. Is anyone having any luck with numbers in evenings? The typical evening bobber bite has been almost non existent all year on the north end

lindyrig79

Fishing was pretty steady until wind died down. Is anyone having any luck with numbers in evenings? The typical evening bobber bite has been almost non existent all year on the north end

In general I would agree with you. We did pretty good on Friday evening and caught 8 walleyes in about an hour. But, we were deeper than I would expect this time of year. The shallow sand bite has not really been good this year. I have been fishing deeper and/or fishing rocks.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Yeah, don’t get attached to the north end sand. I’m finding the fish deeper but suspended up about halfway. I can park the boat in like 14ft on the edge of a break, then cast away from the top of the break and catch fish out over 22-26ft or so.

Ryan Haller

Nothing but posts on swimmers itch and trolling for pike since the season opened back up? That can’t be good news for the walleye bite. Anybody been out and know if the spinner or leadcore bite has been moving any fish?

Ripjiggen

Spinners are getting some fish I am having better luck power corking.

lindyrig79

I’ve been up at Leech and fishing some smaller area lakes lately. But most reports I’ve gotten have been pretty slow.

Ripjiggen

It’s defiantly not a hot bite…but it is still better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Dustin Tichy

The boat has been sitting still for almost a month! Planning on getting out on the water tomorrow to try my hand at dragging lead in the basin. Any tips or suggestions are welcomed. I am heading to the warrior rally next week and just want to make sure the boat is working well and all of my lead core gear is good to go for the trip up to LOTW. Not going to hit Mille Lacs too hard, more or less looking for a great day on the water!

lindyrig79

Should be a nice day on the water tomorrow. I’ve heard the deep transition before the basin is holding fish but not easy to get them to bite. 25-26 ft. Otherwise I’d work the deep edges of mudflats.

Ripjiggen

Yeah I would concentrate on basins closer to structure. Should be able to trigger a few and get the gear broke back in.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I remember many years ago before my Grandfather died and it would get warm in midsummer like this. He would go into a weedy bay and pull plastics through the weeds for walleyes. I didn’t believe him until I went with once and he proved it. He caught pike in there too but apparently the walleyes were in there looking for shade. Vineland and Isle Bays seemed to be the most productive. Is that still a thing out there or does everyone just fish the mud flats and gravel in midsummer?

Dustin Tichy

Fished primarily 30-34 fow, marked a ton of fish (specifically in one area) but could not get them to cooperate. Lots of bug hatch floating by and floating weeds constantly fouling the line. Great day on the water either way, better than a day at work!

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I remember many years ago before my Grandfather died and it would get warm in midsummer like this. He would go into a weedy bay and pull plastics through the weeds for walleyes. I didn’t believe him until I went with once and he proved it. He caught <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>pike in there too but apparently the <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleyes were in there looking for shade. Vineland and Isle Bays seemed to be the most productive. Is that still a thing out there or does everyone just fish the mud flats and gravel in midsummer?

Nope, no fish shallow. Gotta be 5+ miles from shore to find any fish out there.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Nope, no fish shallow. Gotta be 5+ miles from shore to find any fish out there.

Haha. That’s the impression I got from Ripjiggen too…

Dabears

Speaking of bugs, anybody know when this never-ending fish fly hatch is over?

Viewing 28 posts - 31 through 58 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.