Pork Fat

• Alex Roers

I’ve been making a bunch of recipes from that Meateater cookbook and so far they’ve all been winners. Alot of they’re venison sausage and burger recipes call for pork back fat. I’ve heard of other people that like to use this, and was just wondering where people get it? We will have a group processing the scraps from 8 deer in a couple of weeks here.

I’ve checked with two of my local butcher shops and both only get one shipment before deer season and are currently out.

If anyone knows somewhere I can buy or order some relatively close to me in Hampton, MN (South metro, Rochester, Fairbault, or Eastern Wisconsin), that would be helpful. I already tried Greg’s and they’re a no go.

riverruns
    Inactive

I get my pork trim from Heritage Sausage in Galesville Wi. Cross winona interstate bridge and south 15 miles. I’m picking up 5 – 60# cases this thursday along with a case of pork bellies. The phone # is 608-797-1804. waytogo

riverruns
    Inactive

Now that I read your thread again I see you said fat back. I had to google that. I’ve never used strait fat back for my sausage.

What I get is boned pork trim. This will consist of both pork and fat. It’s a good mixture. I dont like pork too lean when doing our processing. I also wouldn’t want it strait back fat if it’s what I goggled.

Nice thing for me is I dont need to bone out a shoulder. Yes it costs a little more but I dont use the bone as Tom does. For me its wasted cost.

I can cut up pork trim into smaller pieces vs boning out a shoulder quicker. We all have our own ways to suit what works.

Heritage Sausage is an excellent place to check out. They sell plenty of meat varieties retail as well as take in boned venison for further processing.

There is not a place here in western Wisconsin that will come close to the prices on processing your meat into anything you want.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I buy the butts when they’re cheap and freeze them so I know I have enough for what I plan to do. I just boned and chopped 13 butts. The butts have a lean to fat ratio that’s good for what I make from my venison. I’ll buy 50 pound boxes of 60/40 pork neck meat too. That makes a nice moist summer sausage and bratwurst. I don’t buy or use any straight pork fat.

riverruns
    Inactive

I buy the butts when they’re cheap and freeze them so I know I have enough for what I plan to do. I just boned and chopped 13 butts. The butts have a lean to fat ratio that’s good for what I make from my venison. I’ll buy 50 pound boxes of 60/40 pork neck meat too. That makes a nice moist summer sausage and bratwurst. I don’t buy or use any straight pork fat.

And I have done the same thing for many of years. If I still had the time, I’m sure I’d still be doing it as you are. woot

catmando
    wis

I do stuff on the small quantity side, I buy bacon end pieces, pretty sure their 8-pound bags, Walmart.

riverruns
    Inactive

I do stuff on the small quantity side, I buy bacon end pieces, pretty sure their 8-pound bags, Walmart.

So do you add this to your venison when processing it?

catmando
    wis

Just for breakfast sausage or summer sausage, for hamburger it’s venison and 85 beef burger 50-50, ground together twice, it makes a great hamburger. DK.

Alex Roers

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I need to make a trip to Wisconsin.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I need to make a trip to Wisconsin.

Bring the wife because there are a couple of wineries in the area riverruns mentions, more if you run down Wisconsin 35 along the river.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

My mother in law gets it from people’s co-op in Rochester, but not in very large quantities. I’ve been using beef fat, she had left over pork fat this fall so tried it, I’ll be using pork fat from now on in my burger.

Compared to beef fat it’s some sticky stuff, I was cursing it when grinding but it’s worth it.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

That cap fat on beef is hard fat. Your arteries will show it in time too. Venison itself is some tacky meat to grind without anything having been added to it, but the pork and pork fat really gets the meat something to deal with. The seasonings and binder can make the stuff worse yet.

Alex Roers

We usually make a run every year down 61 to for a day to Winona then jump across and take 35 back up the next day. We like to stop in Nelson ,JJ’s BBQ and whatever their cheese store is there are great spots to stop.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

If you’re making the Winona run, stop in at Alma’s Red Ram and get a burger. Ma and I think they’re just about as good as good can get. Looks sleazy from the outside but inside its all ambience and great food for reasonable pricing. Also, if you get to the Winona turn go just a ways further to the El Maro winery. You will not regret it.

klang

Washington DC has a lot of Pork (FAT)!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.