Pop up camper

• Deuces

Doesn’t look like a slowdown for campers anytime soon, thought of picking up a small pop up trailer for cheap try out this summer w kiddos, every single used unit out there so far has had multiple offers and seems to sell right away.

Dont enjoy buying toys under pressure.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

My neighbors have one. I stumbled over there one day and took a tour. To me it doesn’t seem much better than a tent and since it doesn’t work well in cooler weather it’s not something I would want. I’ve almost bought one more than once with the idea of converting it to an ice house

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Some of my best memories years ago we’re from nights and trips in a pop up camper.

They’re light, relatively low maintenance, and easy to store. I think the one my brother in law had he could shove around by hand in his shed and had a queen bed on each “wing” and a full sized mattress in the middle in a booth. We stayed in it in temps down to 40 or 45 at night. Dress appropriately and be sure the little installed furnace works well and it wasn’t too bad. When you open everything up in the heat of summer the night breeze roars through them with all the screen.

They are also surprisingly family friendly. My niece and nephew love sleeping in theirs all summer long even in the driveway.

Be sure to not put them away wet.

Reef W

My neighbors have one. I stumbled over there one day and took a tour. To me it doesn’t seem much better than a tent and since it doesn’t work well in cooler weather it’s not something I would want. I’ve almost bought one more than once with the idea of converting it to an ice house

There are some pretty barebones ones but I would say it’s a LOT better than a tent. I’ve stayed in mine comfortably when it gets below freezing at night and heater keeps it toasty. Main issue with cold weather is you don’t want to put it away wet so condensation is a problem if it doesn’t burn off before need to pack up. And it’s just a pain in the ass in general if it’s raining the day you need to leave.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

We have a hybrid with the fold-out ends. We love it, so nice to have some temp control. Heat and A/C.

As Bucky said kids think it’s great. We slept in it the other weekend just out in the yard.

But ya… when I bought it 2 years ago the used market for pop ups was just heating up.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Several replies about potential problems with cold temps, but how about it being sweltering hot? I’m not sure if they are equipped with AC, but there’s no freaking way I’m sleeping in the jungle-like humidity we have here during the summer in one of those things if its not air conditioned. If I have to pick between a pop-up camper that’s off the ground and a tent, I’m taking the camper every time.

I see that Lindy just responded that they have AC and heat.

Reef W

Some have AC but then you need power or a generator. Heat you only need a deep cycle battery so you can go anywhere you want. With a generator I guess you can too but I’ve never wanted to go out in the middle of nowhere to listen to a generator.

MX1825

State parks in Wisconsin have rules on generator operation. Time limits and no operation at all in some parks.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Several replies about potential problems with cold temps, but how about it being sweltering hot? I’m not sure if they are equipped with AC, but there’s no freaking way I’m sleeping in the jungle-like humidity we have here during the summer in one of those things if its not air conditioned. If I have to pick between a pop-up camper that’s off the ground and a tent, I’m taking the camper every time.

You sure complain about the weather alot. You must enjoy about 4 days out side a year. Toughen up and you’ll have way more fun in life and on adventures.
    I guess I’m a out sider, I grew up with a pop up and I enjoy back pack style camping in tents way more. That and you can’t get a camper to the spots on the river we stay. I prefer boat in camping. But being a kid, I loved the camper back then.

Deuces

Grew up spending many a night in one, grown fond of hotel rooms lately tbh. Mom and everyone else yelling at me to get back to my roots (lmao while mom buys a 6figure glamper).
    Kids do grow fast tho, might as well give it a go if I can. We really like our bikes nowadays so boats not always needing to be in tow.

Musky Ed

We got one after tenting it for a couple of years when my boys were in their early teens. Definatly better than tents. Did a lot of bike vacations, and a whole lot of bow hunting weekends with my younger son. Those were great times, we had a group of us that bow hunted and would camp at this county park. My son loved it. Had some great times in that pop up. Bought it used and sold it for more than I paid for it. After that it was a 27′ trailer, then 2 different 5th wheels, then a winter house in Texas, now a summer house in Sturgeon Bay. I had so many good memories in that pop up, that I almost bought another pop up a couple years back, just to have in case I wanted to use it some time. Kids will love it, don’t waste these years wishing you had bought it, you can always sell it later.

FryDog62

If I could figure a way to throw a pop up or Camp 360 on top of my boat/trailer now there you’d have something IMO.

Get to your destination night before, full nights rest and on the water at dawn VS. no camper, get up at 3:00 AM and drive to a remote lake by sunrise.

Deuces

My dad had a pop-up that fit in the pickup, boat in tow. Quite a few mille lacs trips went that way.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

now a camper that fits in your truck bed would be the bees knees. prices are unreal on the ones ive seen. easily get over 30k!! At those prices ill stick with an air mattress under a topper.

Post some family camping picks when you get one beads waytogo

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

If I could figure a way to throw a pop up or Camp 360 on top of my boat/trailer now there you’d have something IMO.

Get to your destination night before, full nights rest and on the water at dawn VS. no camper, get up at 3:00 AM and drive to a remote lake by sunrise.

That’s what we rock the pickup camper for. Now if I wouldn’t have sold my long box 3/4 ton and bought a short box half ton, I would still be going that route. We have many awesome nights in that traveling to lakes we wouldn’t have otherwise

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I grew up with a pop up and I enjoy back pack style camping in tents way more.

I definitely have a high tolerance for the cold. Not so much of the heat or humidity. I’d be fine if I didn’t have to use my AC until the 4th of July. More of a hotel or resort kinda guy here.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

in the 13 1/2 years i was a union thug i spent many nights in a hotel…..wayyy overrated!!!!!

did the tent thing, as a kid and young buck they where fine. my first experience with the popup was when i was between my Jr and Sr year in high school, parents bought on for a trip out to yellowstone. it was a place to lay your head, but when it rained it sucked.

maybe i was spoiled, no wait, i was because we had the cabin up north. when i got married the 2nd time we did the full blown tent thing all over. then we got a camper, then a fifth wheel but we had it on a permanent site. now its back to the cabin full time…….yep i’m spoiled with that!!!

queenswake
    NULL

Heat can be helped in these by installing reflective material over the tent tops and then putting in Reflectix insulation material in each window.

I have a hybrid trailer with the fold down tent ends on each side. For me, it is similar to tent camping in that I can hear the rain falling and the birds chirping, etc. In a traditional closed up trailer, I would feel too far removed from the outdoors.

As for popups, the highwall models are very nice and have a toilet and even a shower in them. But pricey. And they sell fast.

Deuces

Hopefully the trailer part has been figured out, now I’m looking into the potty situation.

All girls in my fam and they don’t necessarily need a private can but I’m sure it would help the situation. Thinking a small portable ice shack next to the popup with a manual flushing toilet. But what the deuce does a guy do with the waste? Dump it in toilet at campgrounds? What if there are no public toilets, just right in the woods? Keep till ya get home then unload in bathroom? Don’t seem right. Idk, a lil splash of that to the face seems inevitable at which point I’d be cursing not to teach kids how to just $hit in a bag.

Anyway to make lugaloos more functional? Sawdust? Kitty litter?

Reef W

Reliance Double Doodie bags

Deuces

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Mr.Beads wrote:</div>

Reliance Double Doodie bags

I’m liking those. Thanks for recommend

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.