GPS

• big dad
    Rochester, Minnesota

I run an LMS 160 – really like it. Split screen as mentioned before very handy. Takes some time to learn all the

features – but gives you something to do on the cold rainy days or evenings

We fish for anything (do prefer walleyes though)

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I think it actually was Hotspots. I guess I’m thinking of whiffer as a generic term for maps that contain specific GPS coordinates. I think there actually is a map named whiffer but now you know what I meant.

Mike

dinosaur
    South St. Paul, Mn.

The King Tutt Walleye Wiffer map was designed by Orrin Tutt of Garrison. He has 2 versions of his map , the second one includes more shoreline structure. He has aslo developed the Leech Lake map which was released this summer. I have not seen the Hotspots version but heard that it has many GPS coordinates like the original Wiffer..

quicksilver

You gotta go with a hand held that will run off your boats battery if u plug it in to a cig lighter port. you can work with it in the house and punch in those “Hot Spots” coordinates. You can delete any waypoint and add one in its palce on the Magellan 315. Hand held units do eat batteries when you use them away from a plug in but , hey come on what’s a couple of batteries when you already bought a truck, boat, fishing stuff and a computer to log onto this web site.

glasspa
    lake city, mn

Gianni or whoever do you know anything about geocaching and does the garmin or megellan work best out in the woods.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

http://www.geocaching.com has a frequently asked questions and ‘about’ section, along with a list of sites and the ability to track where you’ve gone and the ones you’ve found.

I personally have never tried it. I saw there were a few up around Strawberry and thought about it at one time. It would be much more useful to me if someone would post thier favorite fishing waypoints, but nobody wants to see their favorite spot overrun by the horde.

bassbaron
    eldridge, ia

Wanted to bring this up to the top. Thanks to Gianni for steering me to this thread and the info contained. I am looking for a GPS, preferably handheld, and looks like Garmin may be the brand from what I have heard (good reviews, good support). Anybody have any updates on the newer ones? I have not decided on mapping, but am leaning towards it though much of my fishing is on the river and Iowa lakes, and i am not sure if maps are available for these. Thanks.

eyesforever
    IGH, MN

Have the Lowrance X15 w/ GPS. It is a woderful navigational tool and I have complete faith in them after running 7 miles in total fog right to the spot within several feet. Would not be without it for unfamilar, night time and fog navigation. A+.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.