GPS

• Beaver

How many of you guys are using GPS units? Would like to hear good and bad, pro and con about your units and its uses. I`m putting together my Christmas wish list. I`ll be heading to some big MN waters next year and got Fishing Hot Spots maps of each lake and they have GPS coordinates for all the spots. After some looking around, I figure that I`d like to go with a mounted unit instead of a hand-held. I don`t plan on using it for anything but fishing. Let me know what you think. Thanks, Beav

quicksilver

I use a Magellan 315. Used it on Leech this year. It found those ” Hot Spots” like nobody’s business. Hey, go with the hand held that can be mounted in your boat and plugged into the adapter. I use it with batteries when I spend time working with the Hot Spots or Tutt’s Whiffer Maps while sitting in the kitchen. I also wrote the waypoints down on paper and keep the list at home in case It gets lost or shoots craps someday. When u get one you will curse the instruction booklet. Be patient and find someone who has one and learn it that way. It is very easy to get the hang of it.

LeoKam
    Camp Lacupolis, MN

Beaver, surf over to http://www.garmin.com Click on “New Products” on the home page. You can then read about their GPS units and click on any that may interest you for more info and exact specifications.

fishhunter
    Stillwater, Minnesota

I run the Garmin 12. Not a bad unit for the price but doesn’t do the high tech features that the expensive ones do! I use mine for fishing and hunting. When you can run it off a boat or car battery do that because they chew through batteries pretty fast. On the other hand manually write down your waypoints incase your backup battery dies. Mine when on me this summer and I only had half of my points written down so I lost ALL my fishing points for 3 years. Not happy about that. Good luck on your choosing.

mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

Hi Beav. ,

After fishing boats with GPS and now those without I would have to say one socked in foggy day , or one day with big waves pushing you way off your bearings more than justifies all by itself the price of the unit. Add to it fishing hot spots and I will have one in future boats. I really prefer permanent mounted over handheld, but both work great. So far I have no preference for manufacturer, but Lowrance has a nice ring to it. LOL Lawrence

Beaver

I think I`m definately going to mount one permanently in the boat and run it off the boat battery. I`ve looked at the Lowrance and Eagle units, they both look great but I don`t know $hit about using one so I imagine I`ll be spending lots of time learning to use whatever I decide to get. Did you guys that have them find that they were difficult to learn to use or can it be easy to get used to. I was really impressed with the Hot Spots maps and the coordinates that they listed. Do you just punch in the coordinates and it shows you how to get there? I`ve seen a Loran in action on Lake Michigan. It was great to see it telling you what heading to steer and how far you were from your destination. Can I expect the same guidance with the GPS units?

mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

On the lowrance unit you can just repeat the same process again and again- and the handheld magellan unit was just repeating same steps again and again. It is somewhat confusing for a Mountain Man- but after about 1/2 a day I was comfortable with both. the waypoints as you go(find them) seems a little bit easier to get back to on the Lowrance. The difficulty seems to be more in the size and clarity of the display. After you get used to plotting and repeating routes you will be amazed at how closely you will be able to follow the same trolling run or drift again and again. Partner at Green Bay and Winnebago was able to pass over active fish again and again., and find the same snags too. One thing I will definitely will do on my new unit is get a unit that allows waypoints to be removed individually. On older units if you wanted to erase one you had to erase them all. Also use every bit of the space they give you for describing the waypionts, cause tommorrow half of them won’t make sense t if you don’t. DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHICH UNITS ALLOW DELETING INDIVIDUAL POINTS AND MORE AREA FOR DESCRIPTIONS TO SAVE SOME TIME. CHECKING THEM ALL OUT. By the way Beav pool 9 is a lot of fun right now almost everywhere, but especially north. LAWRENCE

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Beaver,

If you’re worried about a learning curve, that’s all the more reason to get a handheld. They make some really nice vehicle mounts that you can plug into, and (at least 5 years ago) some of them charged the ni-cads when plugged into your boat. If you go with the handheld, you can get used to how it works in the truck on the way to work and back for a few days and play with it on a family trip while your wife drives to really get the hang of it.

In addition to that, you can bring it inside and plug in waypoints out of mapquest or delorme street atlas, jack it into your P.C. and download the waypoints instead of sitting in boat in the garage and writing them down on a piece of paper that you’re going to inevitably loose anyway (if you’re anything like me, that is).

GPS will steer you to any waypoint in a straight line, or along a route with several waypoints if a straight-line approach is impossible. It just takes some time to get the hang of it, and things like delorme make it that much easier.

I’ve been working for a GPS company for more than 5 years now and can guarantee you that at first, it will seem like it takes a PhD to run the things… after about a month, you’ll wonder why you ever thought it so difficult. The more you use it, the easier it is to see what features are really worthwhile, and what features are more or less just a marketing ploy.

Gianni

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

I’ve got the slightly older Garmin 245, it is a hand held, I only use it on the bigger waters. it is quite easy to use, and can hold hundreds of waypoints and routes, that are reversible. it has a dc adapter so it saves on batteries. when I got it I learned to use it while driving to work ( 75 miles) each way, I built 12 waypoints on the way to work, then I built a route with those pts. I would go to and from work back and forth on the gps route, It was pretty surprising after a few days to watch the history track plotting overlap eachother. it is quite accurate, and the Differential is supposed to be shutoff, so they stay more consistently accurate. enjoy, Jack.

drizz
    Winona, MN

The Garmins are all pretty easy to learn. I’m running a Garmin 162. It has the mapping, which is nice but not necessary. A 126 or 128 would serve just as well for a mounted unit. I have an older 12XL that’s been in use for quite a while now for hunting or when I jump in my small boat or somebody elses. The larger unit is nice because it will hook up to the computer and directly upload/download all waypoints, routes and tracks. You’ll need a seperate interface power cable for that but I think thay are included with them now. With the mapping CDs from Garmin it’s possible to punch in some pretty accurate dry land features for reference, like landings, marinas, etc. The GPS is nice on the big lakes because you can either create a route with waypoints ahead of time to get you around the islands and reefs, or set your track log to plot automatically as you run. Then you can backtrack it later. Mine has even saved the day on Pepin when the fog socks in and you can’t see shore. Without it, I know for a fact I would have been doing doughnuts in the middle of the lake till it lifted. My suggestion would be to look at the possible uses you might have for it and buy accordingly. If I could only have one, it would be the hand-held unit. I’ve used mine for hunting everything from prairie dogs to caribou, and fishing in a lot of different boats. No matter what you decide on, listen to the other guys and back-up those important waypoints. One other important point: Some people seem to think a GPS can substitute for radar. It’ll get you where you wanna go, but it won’t tell you what you’re about to run into in fog or darkness.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Beav,

I am running the LMS 160 Global Map this year, and I absolutely LOVE it! Ask anyone how it was the first day of the MWC in Lake City….I split the screen from map to depth, and ran right down the middle of the channel to the head of the lake. You could not see the front of the boat in the fog, but I found my way just like I could see through it!!!! The plotting screen is real time, and it is “On the Map” so you can see land marks like resorts, towns, backwaters on the river with the names of the sloughs, etc. It is very user friendly. It will be my choice for next year too. I can download data from my Lake Maps software, and create a route, or a plot line from my computer, and download it at home!

Tuck

JimW
    SE MN

GPS units are changing. If you buy one, buy new! They are changing (from what I heard) from the old “triangulation” to a new system. Apparently, the new GPS units will no longer have to go through military uplinks, creating a stronger more expedient signal. In turn, narrowing the accuracy to a finer and much smaller area. For example, most older units bragged an accuracy of up to 15 meters. Now we are looking at a possibility of 15 feet!!!! Thiswill make a huge difference, especially on large bodies of water!

Jim W

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Beav,

Since you are looking at a stationary unit, I would look to either the Garmin 162 or Lowrance Global Map 1600. Neither of these units are cheap, but boy are they great. They both offer mapping which at first will possibly not be of an interest to you. I guarantee after you’ve used the GPS for a while you’ll love the mapping features. There is more and more software coming out each year. Lakemaps.com is one that comes to mind that already has all the gps cooridinates plotted on structure. All you have to do is download the map into the GPS from your pc and bam. You’ve got alot of waypoints already in the unit. You can then plot coures/routes using those coordinates. I don’t use my unit to half of its potetial. I urge you to go out and read as much as you can on lowrance.com and garmin.com. Decide what your needs are and buy the unit that best fulfills those needs.

You will have a learning curve with either unit, but I’m betting after a couple days in the boat you’ll have it all figured out. If a redneck from SD like myself can run one, anyone can. Good luck making your choice!!!

John

nubbinbuck

I would like to hear if anyone uses the Garmin Etrex Legend? Been doing alot of research the last few days, and have narrowed it down to the Garmin brand.

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

I too have the Lowrance (Global Map 1600) and use my X-75 sitting next to it. I chose this option because I wanted the larger screen available all the time. In the past I had a LMS350A and liked that too but this unit, like the model 160…is absolutely GREAT!! It has taken me off the big lakes in fog, and one huge rainstorm where shore disappeared in a flash. I’d get another in a minute if this one failed. The controls are easy to use, backlighting excellent and the pixel count is excellent. As mentioned, downloading maps in also very easy. Guess I’ve been a Lowrance lover for a long time and this one meets all of my expectations .

hawger
    Owatonna, MN

If you can afford it, I suggest one with a plotter. The waypoints you can drop on your way out, can realy help your return on a lake with lots of islands like in Canada(or a flowage/river system with turns).

GPS changes the way you fish. I can go out on a big water system (new to you) and return at midnight to the access or go out using a buddies borrowed waypoints. I can build a course to take from someone’s stored info, for a lake I’ve never been on. And fish it in the dark! With a plotter I can see where I am in relation to where I am going to and what is on the way there too. Some guy gives you a fishing spot and a gas spot… with a plotter you could see that the gas is, or is not on your route. I do not have to “plot go-to” a waypoint on the plotter to know where it is first…I can see that it is near by. You follow me on this? It is important to me not to have to be pulling up stuff all the time to know where it is from here to there. Like outlining a reef with waypoints… I could see the reef!

Worth the xtra $ I think to have a plotter on the GPS.,

hand held or fixed.

I have an Impulse 4040 toutch screen and a Uniden 303 (both fixed) on my boats. I can not function without them. The 4040 lets you type in abc’s to name your waypoints (built in log) and has waypoint symbols and arrival alarm. It is way cool, but no longer available. Out of biz….darn it.

If you hunt, or fish with friends in their boats… a lot, get the handheld. These cases, it would be a blessing. Lots of luck!

Hawger

LeoKam
    Camp Lacupolis, MN

I had a Legend for about 2 weeks befor I lost it overboard on the river. S### happens. It was a good unit but it only had 8MB of memory. If you wanted to download a map from Garmin’s Map Source, it would replace the base map that came with the unit. I upgraded to the eTrex Vista with 3 times the memory(24MB). It was well worth the extra cost. I got it from eBay for $309 which included a carrying case and shipping. I would also reccommend buying the Cigarette Lighter Adapter and the Automotive Mounting Bracket which can be installed on your car or boat. If you want info on whom I bought it from and their phone number, send me a private message or e-mail me([email protected]).

LeoKam
    Camp Lacupolis, MN

Beaver, You’re better off with the bigger screen permanent mount than a hand held. Easier on the eyes and easier to use when you’re learning. These are some of the menu screen features you should look for: Some sort of Library to store your waypoints. A “Go To” function to get to waypoints. A “Store” function to mark spots/structure when you get a fish on. A “Plotter” screen to work in conjuction with the “Go To” function. A “Navigation Screen” would be an added plus. Wide Area Augmentation System(WAAS) which can get you to within less then 10ft. of a waypoint.

It might take some time to learn but we all had to go through that and you can always post questions to this board if you have a problem.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have a Garmin Map 76 Handheld. I love it. It has base maps of the world and I have the optional mapping software so I can input detailed maps by county from my pc. You can store an infinite number of map sets in your pc, inluding old and new waypoints, and load them per the area you are going. It is waterproof and floats. I have a dash mount and power from boat battery on the dash. I went with the handheld so I could use the same unit fishing, hunting, snowmobiling and long distance traveling by auto. I am amazed every time I use the unit. Once this summer when planning a Milacs trip I bought a wiffer map, plugged in and named all the flats I wanted then drove right to them. I always mark the landing too so getting back is a straight line breeze. Good luck and do use the Internet for prices once you decide on a unit. Of all the places I checked prices in this country, Reeds Sporting Goods in Walker, Mn was the best deal. Message me if you want any more information.

Mike

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Hang on there, partner. The GPS system is NOT going to change anytime soon. The accuracy enhancements that you’re talking about, like second and third civil frequencies, broader PRN spreading (faster chipping rate = higher accuracy), and enhanced navigation message are all part of the GPS Modernization Initiative, which currently has not been even awarded. All of the major players are involved, with a contract award forthcoming in the next year or so and a fielded constellation NO SOONER THAN 2010 that contains the aforementioned upgrades.

Most of the accelleration of GPS space programs has been with respect to the IIR and IIF birds, the civil enhancements (I believe) are part of the GPS-III initiative. There’s a pretty good write-up about it here:

http://gps-future.com/mod.html

In addition to that, the L2 & L5 civil frequencies require that vendors make a great many changes ($$$) and the units themselves contain significant hardware ($$$$). All that cost will get passed on to you as the end buyer. For the most part, I would expect that 99% of civil users will still be using a single-frequency unit, and that the additional civil frequencies will be more heavily used by airborne users willing to cough up the extra dough.

Since the modernized constellation is projected to be backward-compatible, your GPS should still be working when we’re all driving to the river in our Jetson’s flying cars and telecommuting from our boats!

You can’t move away from the ‘triangulation’ method of computing position, as there is no other way to do it using GPS alone. Furthermore, all units will offer basically the same accuracy regardless of what they advertise. The majority of the errors are in the constellation and signal disruption in the atmosphere.

There is a lot of work being done right now with miniaturized inertial sensors (MEMS) in the automotive industry, which will greatly improve GPS performance in an urban-canyon type environment where satellite masking and multipath are of great concern. On a boat, sky visibility is pretty good, even in the river bottom, and multipath is much less of a problem due to the composition of the surrounding landscape. Additional sensors wouldn’t add much since a boat is fairly low-dynamic vehicle (most GPS receivers can easily do 6g’s or more).

Features I like (sorted by importance):

1. Large Display

2. Buttons big enough to operate with gloved fingers

3. >500 waypoints (yes, you will eventually have more than 99) with the ability to name each. “Mark0035634” might mean something for about 5 minutes after you set it, but you’ll never remember it tomorrow.

4. >25 Routes, reversable

5. “Plot” screen that shows where you are and where you’re heading, and includes the destination waypoint (minum) and all nearby waypoints if possible. It needs to be scalable so that you can hone in on the spot once you’re close.

6. Ability to mark waypoints easily, i.e. 1 or two hits to a key. By the time you navigate through 9 menus, you’ve slid off your spot.

7. Vehicle mount/external power supply. If you do not get this, be sure to check the battery life of the unit and don’t be fooled by “4 fixes per hour” stuff. Find out what it will do with the thing continuously on.

8. External Antenna input – typically you don’t need this, but if you have a tiller-style boat where the electronics are encased and have poor sky-visibility, it could be a life-saver.

9. A PC interface & software that’s compatible. You can click stuff in Delorme Street Atlas and then enter it in by hand, but its time-consuming.

Things I consider “fluff”:

1. Moving maps – these might be useful if you’re in a thick fog on waters where there are islands and obstructions, but for the most part, you know the general layout well enough, and can always use routes to avoid large land-masses. If a company comes out with a unit that will take lake-bottom maps, I may change my mind.

2. “Steering” screen. The Plot screen basically tells you everything that’s on here, and is much easier to use.

3. WAAS – This is actually a different signal that can be tracked and is quite expensive. WAAS was put in place prior to the presidential initiative to turn off the signal corruption that civil users had to deal with prior to May 2000. The accuracy enhancements are less than those of differential (DGPS).

4. DGPS – Prior to May, 2000, this may have been the civil market’s best friend. The coast guard provided a separate radio link that gave corrections to each satellite based on surveyed positions they had set up along navigable waterways. The only remaining errors were those associated with geographic bias (the difference in satellite line-of-sight between you and the transmitter). Ag-Vision and Transit-master systems use differential to meet the strict accuracy requirements laid out by the EPA to keep farm sprayers away from waterways. Sub-meter accuracy is easily achievable using DGPS. The reason I consider it ‘fluff’ is logistical: Once you get close to your spot, you’re going to use the depthfinder to locate exactly where the fish/structures are anyway, so you’re paying extra cash for accuracy you don’t need.

If you’re still thinking about a stationary unit, consider this: If you live in Minnesota, Wisconsin, or Iowa, 1/2 of your fishing hotspots are under the ice 5 months out of the year! The handheld would be much more convenient than pushing the boat across the ice.

This is turning into a book. I gotta go! Best of luck – Gianni

Edited by Gianni on 10/05/01 08:43 PM.

Beaver

YOU DA MAN!!!!

CroixRiverRat
    n. st. paul,mn

I run the lms-350a. Not a bad unit in that it has lots of features and is tried and true. The only drawback for me is that it doesn’t have a back ground map. Eye-guide has a point that when its really foggy or whiteout conditions you need to have a map to pinpoint exactly your posistion. My unit will put you within 5-10 ft away from your target, but when your in an area with hazards or are unfamiliar with, you need a map to compare too and watch. The plotter option can help, but does you no good when your in an area for the first time and are feeling your way around. Hope this helps-stay away from the lowrance x-15’s. They still are having a lot of problems with these units. Ninety percent of them have to go back to lowrance as soon as you buy them so they can be updated with new sofware.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

kewl… wish I knew half that much about anything!!! but Ive forgotten less stuff about anything than Gi knows about GPS!! lol

anyway….. seriously… amazin guy…..

but with all that info you failed me in only just one way…. since Im not really up on all the features…. I understood HANDHELD…… (gotta keep it simple for us old folks ya know!)….

but what I did not hear was recomendations of brands and models that actaully contain what you describe… and even MORE key and simple (gotta keep it simple for us riverrats!!)…… what BRAND/MODEL would you chose?

once again….. great post…. one of the best Ive ever read for shear knowledge and detail…..

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

I am truly confused LOL!!!!!!!! Very educational post Gianni.

Dustin

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I don’t get to play with a lot of the commercial stuff, but if you want a brand & model, I do like the Garmin e-trex. It’s about the size of a cell-phone, so you can carry it in your pocket or glove box and it will get you to where you’re going. They make all sorts of different models so you can buy a basic GPS ($107), or a moving map, 24Mb, does-everything-but-control-the-dishwasher unit. Amazon.com has them under electronics/gps&navigation if you want to check them out.

Moving maps do have value on new waters, but I’ll never get rid of my chart book, so a paper map is always handy. They are invaluable if you’re lost in L.A., but on the water there’s usually no dead end streets to get lost on. The thing that I especially don’t like about them is that it clutters the display. It’s nice to look down and see 2 points, where you are and where you’re going. No searching around while your eyes are not where you’re going.

ikespower
    iowa

!Yeah, i got the word,” handheld” too.

now, what are whiffer maps?

-where can you get “Lakemaps”?

What advantage does Lakemaps have over Hotspots?

great post gianni

LeoKam
    Camp Lacupolis, MN

They’re cheaper on eBay.com. The accessories too.

walleyefshr
    Kansas

I have been using my Garmin GPS 12 for 18 months now, two mounts, one for boat and one for truck and cigarette AC adapter. Use it hunting, skiing (out west, too many runs), fishing and just ETA planning on roadies. For 150 bucks has been great for me. Figgered out how to use it driving from the cities to Brainerd one afternoon. I then sat down at home and put in all my points from the whiffer map…

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.