New life jacket rule will affect Iowa boating!

• theleadsled
    Washington, Ia.

The paper reported this morning that iowa was among 10 states that will have to wear live jackets on the Mississippi and Missouri rivers but not in inland waters under a new U.S. Coast Guard regulation. The maximum fine is $1100 for each violation. Also said this rule was enacted last month. I believe safty is a concern for most of us and I think most of us already have their children wear life jackets. Mixed feelings on making it a law for adults also. Didn’t work on the State level when they attempted to make us wear helmets.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Here is a link to the full regulation change.

You had me a little bit worried that they would be “protecting me” while I was sitting in a cove anchored over some crappies. The rule, as it appears in the above link, applies to children age 13 and under, and only when the boat is underway.

theleadsled
    Washington, Ia.

Thanks for clearing that up Gianni. We passed the articule around the coffee table, everybody read it, and nobody was sure what they were saying. It was not well written. Another fellow, not with our group, swore that last night on the news they reported that everybody would be required. Anyway I told them I would post it and get back to them. FTR comes through again!

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Won’t have an impact on me, since the kid is always jacketed up when on the boat. It annoys her to no end when I kill the gas motor and take my jacket off only to tell her she has to leave hers on.

Unfortunately, anyone who this rule would actually affect – people who don’t make their kids wear jackets when underway – is probably incapable of reading.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Gianni, who have about nailed another one. I think you are right the no reading idea. some rules are made for those who fail to protect themselves and those they are respondsible for. and the first time they hear about the new rule is when they get pulled over by a DNR boat, and are told in no certain terms of new and different changes. and they seem to also be the ones who can’t afford that pricey of a ticket. but the message does get across. thanks Gianni for all you good posts and links. Jack..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.