Invasive silver carp netted near Winona

• bassmaster
    SE, MN

Thats not good… Thanks DNR for alot of talk and no action. Its only a matter of time before they will be found in every pool…

herb
    6ft under

No action to take. No way to stop the migration as long as the river floods, they raise or lower the rollers, or allow barge traffic to navigate from pool to pool, or water birds to feed and fly.
    Unless you have an idea that you haven’t told anyone about.

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

water birds to feed and fly ??? Are you suggesting that birds are plucking up Asian carp fry and giving them free rides to the upper pools? I thought this only happens in cartoon? Really? I’d sure like to read the source documents on this?

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

water birds to feed and fly ??? Are you suggesting that birds are plucking up Asian carp fry and giving them free rides to the upper pools? I thought this only happens in cartoon? Really? I’d sure like to read the source documents on this?

In that sentence I believe he is talking about how water birds can spread Invasive species.

herb
    6ft under

Anyone who has spent enough time near or on the water will know what I’m talking about.
    I’ve watched pelicans and herons pick up fish and get run off by another bird trying to steal the catch, fly away for a distance and when landing drop the fish. Maybe they catch it again and then maybe they don’t, thus transporting fish. Documented? Yes, by me, myself, and eyes.
    Enjoy your carp.

TheHansolo11

I thought i say one of these bad boys jump out of the water in front of Prairie du Chien last summer. Maybe this confirms it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Personally…and I say again, personally I think the WI and MN dnr are on the same page.

Educate as best we can.

As far as the Lake Associations, Water District Commissioners a few mayors and our Governor goes, please seek counseling.

Sorry for using the broad paint brush.

If we think money is going to stop the spread of these, take a look at pheasants, starlings and the common carp just to name a few. We must not have spent enough money on those species.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

I thought i say one of these bad boys jump out of the water in front of Prairie du Chien last summer. Maybe this confirms it.

or maybe it was a sturgeon or a paddle fish?

Lots more of them than asian carp.

I don’t know, I wasn’t there.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Quote:

Quote:

In that sentence I believe he is talking about how water birds can spread Invasive species.

fish eggs also can be transported on the legs of wading birds as they fly from one body of water to another. That is documented somewhere.

herb
    6ft under

Thanks John. Forgot to add that one. But you’d be hard pressed to find any DNR to admit to that.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

We are on the same team, but it would be very rare for fish fry or eggs to be able to survive transport by another animal. Even more rare for those things to survive to adulthood.

But the same cannot be said for things like millfoil, spiny water fleas, zebra mussel larvae, etc, which are far less delicate.

herb
    6ft under

Very rare indeed Pug, but not impossible especially with fertilized eggs.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.