Pool 3 is going to freeze this winter!

• FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Something I’ve done my best to keep a secret the past 6 years, is time to share.

From November to End of February you can usually find me being the only boat on the upper (Inland Minnesota) section of Pool 3. Once Minnesota inland walleye closes I’m habitually on Pool 4 doing my best to avoid crowding until spawn when a good chunk of the walleyes migrate south into border waters of pool 3. I can get quite moody when transitioning from the absolute boatless bite on pool 3 to the busier waters of pool 4, but I quickly adapt by finding fish outside of common areas…and then hold them with absolute secrecy. While i’m not about to give up any P4 info i’m ready to spill the beans on Pool3.

When the temps drop in the fall the walleyes migrate to the upper 3 miles of pool 3 and stack up like cordwood. (FISHING DEEPER THAN 25′ IS NEVER NECESSARY!!! NEVER!!! THE WITTLE BITTY ONES CAN BE FOUND IN SCOUR HOLES BUT BIG MAMMAS ARE NOT!) I am generally not within a mile of the dam anyway, i just don’t want people thinking scour hole is where it is at, it sure as poop isn’t.

Most winter the lower 13 miles of P3 are not worth fishing. I mean barren in comparison to the congregations of the P3 stretch above the confluence. Trust me, I’ve looked and looked. It is quite magical how many fish flood into that upper few miles. More magical is the lack of fishing boats. I am one who enjoys my solitude and that is where i spend my cold months picking on walleyes. I’ve said in on here before, but the cold water months the confluence is void of fish.

Pool 3 doesn’t have a warm water discharge like Pool 4 to keep it from freezing.
    It is the flow that keeps pool 3 open, when the flow can’t keep it open then it is me busting up the ice to keep on the fish.

Water temps are generally just below freezing late December through Feb., if the flow is low enough it just freezes solid and becomes too thick to bust up. Once ice gets more than 4″ it is too thick and can take some time to thaw to a manageable thickness before busting up again.

With flow high enough to prevent permanent freezing most evenings once the sun dips skim ice forms immediately and renders fishing useless. So, it is a daytime bite (because that is when you can fish), but it is wise to use every night available with temps above freezing to your advantage too, because the later in the winter the clearer the water and the more a night bite is the dominant bite. Just that you can rarely fish after dark.

There’s a sand flat that I’ve made my home the past several years and walleyes come back each winter and stay the whole winter. My closest friends all have access but conditionally with closed lips. More flow tighter to shore and more congregated, lower flow the more they’ll spread out and get closer to the main channel. Quite predictable really. Once the flow dirties in the spring (If it happens in Feb), the fish BOLT from that area as it begins to hold too much current. There’s a tweener period where it is just flat out bananas (Flow dependent, but typically Dec,Jan,Feb,closed)

The past 6 years i’ve kept pool 3 navigable with few exceptions of extreme cold temps.

Well folks, it has been fun, but it is time for me to move closer to what i consider home. I’ll be moving temporarily to a farm near Lanesboro this weekend leaving behind the fabulous Pool 3 fishing.

Found work in Winona and will eventually be buying a house within a 30 minute drive of Winona.

Pool 3 will freeze for the entire length of the winter without me around in 2021 unless someone reads this and wants awesome fishing and solitude, but it will come with the effort of maintaining a navigable river. Trust me when i say it is worth it, but it is work.

Given the solitude of pool 3 in the winter and the absolute phenomenal walleye fishing I’ve done my best to guard that info. I usually broke ice up to the spot I wanted to fish, and not beyond. That allowed me a window after dark to fish the area nearest the ice where skim ice doesn’t have time to form. When others just start breaking ice up out there, it can actually make fishing impossible during the day. There is a strategy involved and being the sole keeper of that water, I learned what did and didn’t work and when someone broke up all the P3 ice it can leave it skimmed for weeks and unfishable if temps are regularly well below freezing. Hard to explain, but someone who spends some time out there will figure it out.

I’m letting it out now for a few reasons.

Maybe there’s someone as adventurous as me who will enjoy that fishery in the untouched season, and if there is, those I’ve let fish that area would continue to enjoy access that they won’t have when I’m gone. Also, heck it would be fun to run up and fish that bite a few times each winter myself too.

This is by far the biggest fishing secret i’ve ever shared on IDO. Sure i may upset a few who know of the area, but they’ll hopefully understand they don’t have access to it unless someone keeps P3 open and i know they aren’t the ones willing to do so. The best spot in that upper stretch, is driven past by nearly all boaters. There’s over a 1/2 miles of fishing that nobody considers even looking at. Should someone have beef with sharing this info, they probably didn’t know that area existed before me so they can shut it.

I remember when i first stumbled upon that spot. Years ago i was fishing up near the dam and the river got cold and the ice clogged the river up from the highway bridge. I was on a decent bite up there, but ice made it impossible to navigate and the ice that tends to build in that area doesn’t like to be broken up. So i went south a bit. It was dark and i dropped a jig and minnow over the side instantly got bit with a 9Lb eye. Whoa…what did i find here! From there i began to discover the best ‘hole’ (It is not a hole) in the area and the rest is history.
    So without giving GPS cords, the descriptions above should give you a pretty good idea of at least which mile of river I’m speaking of.
    Oh, I almost forgot to mention, that upper stretch also holds all the channel catfish 😉

Leaving Pool 3 and the St Croix behind I’m excited to start fishing lower pool 4, P5,5a,6.etc.
    Can’t wait to see if the fishing is as bad as people say (they really don’t say much about that area in general anyway) or if there is fishing just as phenomenal as the Pool 3 bite that EVERYBODY drives past to get to a crowded pool 4.

There ya go.
    Best fishing,
    Andy

Ripjiggen

Great write up Andy. Thanks

matt

Nice write up.I started this past spring mid April or so trying to learn a bit about pool 3 as I had never fished it.I know I have alot more to learn but the fishing was great.With all of the other boats piled into two spots I had all of the fish I found to myself,which left me with a big smile on my face.If it wasnt such a far drive for me I would probably fish it more often than I have but I will be down this fall to see what I can find.Once things start to freeze up I enjoy a warm shack on the ice more than I do breaking ice but I may give it a shot.Great reports,good luck on the venture and enjoy the fishing!

boone
    Woodbury, MN

Andy,

Good luck with the move, new job, and new fishing waters. I’ll miss bumping into you on the river.

Thanks for all the insights you’ve shared on this site over the years. I hope you continue to do so in the future. I know you’ve help me better understand how to figure things out which has made me a better angler. Things like electronics, boat control, rigging, seasonal movements, etc. etc. etc.

Best of luck with this new chapter in your life.

Boone

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

Andy,

Great write up & thanks for sharing some time in your boat.

From my limited experience on pools south of 4 there’s plenty of waters that hold quality fish. As always… the fun of fishing is finding them and figuring out what they wanna eat this day & time.

Good fishing! Stay in touch.
    Kurt

Evan_peterson12
    Rosemount, MN

I was able to understand some of what you have said. I’ve gotten into numbers of Walleye here in higher waters on pool 3 but since it has gone down only stripers. Just starting to fish pool 3 (have made 3 boat trips ever in my lifetime two of which have been onto upper pool 3). Anything else has been flatheads and stripers. Feel free to PM if you wanna talk about where to be finding them right now because I’m stumped. Thank you for sharing.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Best of luck on your new venture Andy.I don’t fish pool 3 or 4 but nice write up them.

munchy
    NULL

“POOL 3 IS GOING TO FREEZE THIS WINTER!”

And now for my next prediction – 2021 will be warmest winter in modern history! doah

jester

Good luck on your move sir!! The Winona area is certainly beautiful.

Deuces

Phenomenal info. Not many would share such and that’s good on you for doing so.

Good luck in your new area.

toast toast

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Something tells me you will be able to find plenty of fish in your new area…Thanks for sharing! Hopefully we get some rain this fall so there is some flow going through, or it may not matter! I actually thought based on your headline this thread was going to be about it freezing up from no flow.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’ll be moving temporarily to a farm near Lanesboro this weekend leaving behind the fabulous Pool 3 fishing.

HAH! Just for a second I thought you were going to take up fly fishing outside the Lanesboro fish hatchery.

I’m looking forward to your lower 4 reports…and I wish I knew you were moving, we could of had another one on one tournament again before you packed up!

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Thank you for the great report. Best of luck on your new adventures. Hope you stick around IDO. You knowledge has been very helpful over the years.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I might take a look at the “job opening” since you’re retiring. I’ve seen you breaking ice before and know the location you’re referring to.

Any tips for breaking ice without breaking anything else?

MX1825

Very well written Andy. You always have good info to pass along on many subjects, not just fishing. I’ve only fished 4 once, an issue with living 4 hours away.
    Good luck in your new location.
    Set the Hook an HAPPY fishing! waytogo

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

This goes along with when I fished Pool 4 a lot I would keep track of flows and kept good records of where and what I caught. After a few years there is definitely a pattern to where I could look at flow and tell you almost exactly where the fish would be or pretty darn close.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Thanks for the kind words gents.
    That pool 3 winter bite is something to look forward to all year long. Fish ain’t there until they are, then its game on.
    Enjoy

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

HAH! Just for a second I thought you were going to take up fly fishing outside the Lanesboro fish hatchery.

Hey I do have my fly rod I bought for channel cats a few years ago. Think it will throw an rap f7 lol.

9wt might be overkill for them trout razz

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Thank you for sharing the secrets of the river!!! Not just in this instance, but in many, many others. Always enjoy your (very) candid thoughts on topics fishing and otherwise!!!

Good Luck in a very beautiful part of MN and look forward to new musings from your exploration of more of my turf when I’m down there.

Mark

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Regarding breaking ice.

Works best being downstream of the ice.

Trim up to create the biggest wake you can and run adjacent to the ice pack as close as you are comfortable.
    Depending on current speed you can make one, two, possibly 3 passes in front of the ice pack doing a donut on each turn around.

The first pass will break up the most ice, second some more and if the current is slow a third. This all depends on how long a pass your making. Wide spots you get one pass typically.

After making the ice breaking wave passes idle down downstream the ice pack until waves subside.

Trim down.

Then nudge upstream into the ice pack gently. Gently.

Allow the ice to pass you.

You’ll be breaking big sheets at times but you can use your bow to split them by just gently idling into them and allowing the bow to ride up on the ice. Usually splits.

Survey the pack and pick the path of least resistance.

Always check prop before reversing when going through ice pack.

Then repeat with another pass when the last ice flow has gone downstream far enough to boat safely.

Unless it’s real thin I don’t break ice with the hull, waves are more effective.

Be real attentive when busting ice!!!

If your trying to bust ice from upstream, it is quite difficult. Small stretches work but long stretches just pile up.

Prescott landing really don’t freeze in the winter, if it does call the city before you chip it out they’ll usually bring the payloader out for you.

Downstream Prescott isn’t worth keeping open and is to hard to anyway.

Being a windshield scraper for your trolling motor shaft for ice build up. I always sprayed mine with rv antifreeze before/during storing to prevent on water freeze up.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Scouted some pool 8 waters yesterday between storms with my buddies kid and I think I found some dandy winter/spring eyeball hot spots. Time will tell.

Attachments:
    1. 20210824_120520-scaled.jpg

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Winona might be the warmest city in MN in the winter. Maybe you won’t have as much ice to break.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Brian, I’m only about 2 miles from the hatchery so if you want to show me how to fly a trout some day 😃

I DO NOT MISS THE TRAIN IN PRESCOTT!!

Attachments:
    1. 20210829_090654-scaled.jpg

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.