Pool 2 Report (2020)

• Mike Otis

Got out tonight from 5 till 7:30, what a nice night.

Caught 5 around 18″ and a couple bit short, probably a couple hogs ha! First time going out for the night shift, had a blast.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Nice fish Jake. Might be the same one. They certainly do bight again. Last winter there was a 27″ that I noticed 3 different times in different photos.

Jim

Thanks Fishdale. Ultimately it was loose ground wires for the starter and battery on the engine block. New in August so likely loose from the factory.

First time at dealer they said it had a low voltage alarm and battery was low. That didn’t make sense to me as it started, ran on plane to dam, and it went dead while engine was on. Then it started again and died at half throttle going back to the landing.

Fished Friday and didn’t trust it. Ran to the dam and fished about 10 minutes, channel below lock was frozen. Half way back to landing it totally quit again, even trim and tilt.

Called dealer from landing and they said they could look at it right away. They fixed it Friday afternoon and mechanic said he was able to replicate problem.

Fished yesterday and it worked great.

Jim

Fished out of Hidden Falls yesterday during the day. One 19” walleye, a smallie, 2 carp and a sheepshead for two of us. Beautiful day.

Moving to 494 this week.

39degrees

How safe are the tow vehicles parked in the lot at the 494 and at lions park? Is there any difference parked during daylight or dark? Thanks

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

How safe are the tow vehicles parked in the lot at the 494 and at lions park? Is there any difference parked during daylight or dark? Thanks

I’ve never had an issue….see quite a few cops driving through in the evening at 494. When I left last night at about 8:30pm there were two in the lot.

39degrees

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>39degrees wrote:</div>

I’ve never had an issue….see quite a few cops driving through in the evening at 494. When I left last night at about 8:30pm there were two in the lot.

Great – thank you Matt !

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

No break in problems at either lot. Also never had any issues (Tickets) with parking there after the stated closing times.

One thing to be aware of at 494. A stopped train blocking the exit road can trap you in there. Sometimes over an hour. So if you are running late to get home to your gal, you can always use that one as an excuse… whistling

-J.

39degrees

No break in problems at either lot. Also never had any issues (Tickets) with parking there after the stated closing times.

Excellent – thanks for the information about the stated closing times. With the nice weather this week i want to get out there!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Anyone been out enjoying the fantastic weather this week? I got out a couple times over the weekend. Caught a couple 28s Saturday for big fish. Pair of 27s Monday. Hope to get back at it after work tomorrow. Working these nice days away sure sucks.

Attachments:
    1. 20201206_092034.jpg

2. 20201206_091909.jpg

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

We got out last night for a few hours and did well. Half a dozen over 20” and a 27” Tyler got that was just a toad. Another dozen or so under 20”.

It was like bumper boats in a couple spots but it sure was beautiful.

Might be it for me for awhile. Was a good way to close it out if this was it.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Sounds like a fun trip Matt. Sure has been plenty of boat traffic this fall. Some of the dams always have a boat or two on them. I hate fishing second hand spots so its good incentive to find other places to fish.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Mike, that fish in the first pic has a serious eating disorder! peace

-J.

Mike Otis

Dang Matt and Mike! Well done guys! Your reports are keeping me persistent.

I was out yesterday afternoon and packed it up around 6pm since I was by myself, and new to night fishing the river. Stayed close to the launch, saw guys catching fish, but had the opposite luck that Matt had. Couldn’t put it together, my wing dam tactics could use a little practice. Forgot my muck boots, so loading my small lund was quite the balancing act! Somehow kept my feet dry though.

I plan to get back out this weekend, just not sure when. Stop by and say hi if you see me out there, red 14′ Lund with a Mercury 9.9 and a bow mounted trolling motor.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

She sure was. Its that time of year to have a scale in the boat. This gal hit later in the night after I had dropped Tyler off at the landing. Was just happy to get a photo as my phone was about dead.

Here is Tyler with a nice 26″ from that night.

Attachments:
    1. 20201206_092134.jpg

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Bumper boats is right. Pool 2 is the new Pool 4! LOL I don’t blame guys for trying it with the weather we’ve had lately. Just remember to drain your trailer at the bottom of the landing before you pull up the ramp, and that it’s 100% catch and release on Pool 2.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Warmer weather and not many other options for things to do. Seems just about anyplace Ive fished this summer has been busy.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Agreed – we were taking pics after dark of a couple fish and all of a sudden had a half dozen boats within 50′ of us. Packed it in pretty soon after that but it was good to be out and not have frozen hands. Def felt like pool 4 in April!

@Mike
    Otis – Our big fish came on artifical baits but don’t be afraid to just go vertical with a jig and minnow. Hold on a current seam and give it 10 minutes and move. Deeper during sunlight and move shallower as it get’s darker. As it got dark we moved from 14′ to 6-7′ to give you an idea. Current is absolutely critical right now – faster the better.

The dam bite has been slower for me lately….to Mike’s point maybe it’s because they’ve just been pounded.

There was a guy fly fishing on the point by the barge channel last night – talked to him for awhile but he didn’t have any luck. Takes some dedication to hike all the way in there with a fly rod. Would’ve been cool to see him stick a walleye.

Anyone know who had the Hewes Craft that was out last night? Sure looked comfy!

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

I was out in the Kingfisher Jet boat full enclosure Matt.

We started pulling HJ’s on the sand and in the first few minutes we stuck a giant!

Was fairly slow for us after that picking up a few fish here and there.

Attachments:
    1. DSC09752-1-1.jpg

Johnie Birkel
    South metro

I think the fish need to go on a diet on P2 as they look like 2020 has been rough on them! Here is the one from the other night. I haven’t seen P2 that busy ever! Even 4 hours after dark it was still serious bumper boats!

Attachments:
    1. CA5A9EA5-40FB-4F17-B64C-0FCFA8702C46.jpeg

Mike Otis

I really appreciate the insight, Matt! Seeing as I’ve fished lakes my whole life, the big river poses quite the learning curve. Lovin’ it though.

Just got an order of Tru-Tied Tackle, this is some nice stuff!

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I was out in the Kingfisher Jet boat full enclosure Matt.

We started pulling HJ’s on the sand and in the first few minutes we stuck a giant!

Was fairly slow for us after that picking up a few fish here and there.

That’s right – it was a Kingfisher. I was in the Reata loading up as you pulled into the launch. We probably passed each other a half dozen times on the sand. It was warm last night but I’ll bet that is a sweet ride when it’s real cold.

Nice fish!

micah-witham
    Richfield

that was me out there on the barge rocks with my switch fly rod swinging flies. Didn’t find any fish but I’m convinced that’s a spot you could catch a walleye on a fly rod. One of these days I’ll do it!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Man you guys really put a hurt on these fish in pool 2. Pretty insane how thick those fish are.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

that was me out there on the barge rocks with my switch fly rod swinging flies. Didn’t find any fish but I’m convinced that’s a spot you could catch a walleye on a fly rod. One of these days I’ll do it!

Cool! I’ve built a couple a switch rods, a 5 weight and an 8 weight. I use Skagit heads on them. Fun way to fish and easy on the shoulders too.

SR

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Nice one, Jakob! toast

-J.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I agree….they were pretty tight to bottom when we were chatting with you. I’ll bet if you stayed later they would move up closer. Casting parallel to that shoreline might coax one on a fly.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Some real super tankers boys!

Viewing 30 posts - 511 through 540 (of 615 total)

The topic ‘Pool 2 Report (2020)’ is closed to new replies.