Polarized glasses

• Red Eye

I need reviews. I’ve never paid more than $35 for a pair of polarized sunglasses. I was always afraid of losing an expensive pair. Think I’m finally mature enough to pony up for a nice pair. Just wondering what brand you guys are using and what you like about them? And also are they really worth the extra money over the cheaper $50 pairs? I’ve been looking at Costas, Oklay, Under Amour. Don’t really want to spend over $250 on a pair but willing to splurge a little.
    Thanks for the help.

Dave maze
    Isanti

You can find costas with 400g lenses for under $200. They are incredibly clear and durable. Just find what frame style fits you and then shop around.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’ve been wearing my oakley gascans for years and replacement lenses are cheap. They take quite a beating as well. The pair I’m currently wearing have been through hell and back

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Throw Smith in the mix. Their quality is as good as the others you mentioned. They are personally my favorite.

If you have an average to large size head, check out the guides choice. I believe they may be discontinued but they are quite a few still out there. I really like the polarchromic lenses. They adjust shade for the conditions.

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

I have a pair of Oakley Mainlink’s with PRIZM Polarized lenses. I really like them, and they are below $250

Dan Baker

I went from a nice par of non polarized Oakley’s that I had been wearing for many years, to a pair of Coastas with the polarized 580g lenses in green. When I got outside and put them on, I literally laughed out loud at how unbelievably clear they are. They are the best optical glasses I have ever seen. I highly recommend them.
    Dan

rwilliam
    St.Paul, Mn

I have a pair of Oakley Tightrope polarized. They have been good and would definitely buy another pair. As far as price, I don’t recall what I paid as they are going on 5 years now.

Justin Laack
    Austin,mn

I would also recommend looking at your eye insurance policy. With mine since I had lasik done I get $150 a year credit towards sunglasses, since I don’t need glasses or contacts. My doctor doesn’t carry Costas, but he does carry Oakley’s, hard to beat a $200 pair for only 50 bucks. I did buck up a few years ago and got costa 580G and they are definitely worth it, very light and comfortable wearing 10 plus hours a day.

zooks

Costa, Smith, Maui Jim make high end, fishing specific styles, are probably similar quality for their price ($150-$250, depending on lenses) and you will notice a vast difference with them over the $50 pairs you can get at Dicks/Cabelas/BPS/REI. Native Eyewear and Julbo are other outdoor brands that are good quality but are usually closer to the $100.

Main price difference on the upper end is glass vs plastic lenses. Glass is more durable and more clear but is noticeably heavier and is more expensive. It took me a while to get used to the weight of my Smiths but I won’t go back to plastic for fishing sunglasses. Green mirror with a brown/copper base is my preferred lens color but that’s personal preference.

I had high end Oakleys before my current Smiths and while the Oakleys were nice, I just feel you get better quality from the three I mentioned for a similar price. Hope this helps, good luck with what you decide.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I’ve been very happy with Natives for the price. They are scratched to ell now but for $50 or something off campmor.com great deal.

How are the Costas plastic? Been thinking of upgrading but hate the weight of glass.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

Costa with the glass lenses there is no comparison. Oakley are not good in durability and polarizing. the glass is superior in scratch resistance. just look at just about every top saltwater guy and you will know. every saltwater angler uses sunglasses for fishing and seeing fish. up north it isn’t as big of a deal as most lakes are stained water which is tough to see. The best lenses for lake are the 580 lenses in green tint which is the copper. I use them for work as I am a landscaper. 3 year no scratches.

zooks

How are the Costas plastic? Been thinking of upgrading but hate the weight of glass.

Oops, misread your question. The FW has 580P in her glasses and they’re nice to look through, comparable or slightly better than other plastic lenses.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I wonder how the Salt Life glasses compare. They use Zeiss lenses. Seems like Costas/Smith Optics use proprietary glass lenses?

mfpgopher

I’ve been wearing Costas for 10 years. Fantastic quality and don’t even realize I’m wearing them most of the time. Highly recommend them.

CaptainMusky

Not the best comparison, but I have Costa 580g with the blue mirror lenses then I bought prescription polycarbonate lenses in the smoke color. There is NO comparison the 580g ones are far crisper than the poly, but I hated wearing contacts so I went with the poly for the prescription lenses because most local optical places can cut them, but if you want prescription glass lenses those have to be done by Costa.
    It isn’t really fair to compare the blue mirror to smoke lenses because the blue is just so much brighter, but the clarity difference is insane.

MnPat1

Maui Jim has the best grey lenses. Costa has some nice lenses in different shades. Whatever you do buy glass lenses.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I’ve had 3 pairs of Maui Jims over the past 15 – 20 years. If you spend much money on them, most people take better care of them. Highly recommend getting a lanyard for them.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

I bought a pair of costa with 580g lenses, I will never buy another cheap pair again, definitely worth the money, mine are green mirror with amber tint, it’s amazing how everything that is green just pops out with them!

Bill Sackenreuter
    Devils Lake ND

I usually end up with a rx pair every year,killing off flex benifits,so have a variety.
    I give Costa 580 the edge for clarity,green being best all round,but give Oakley the nod for comfort,straight jackets in black or blue iridium,they are lighter and fit me better than my costas,that’s just me,but only 2 brands I have bought,but couldn’t imagine glass getting much better than 580.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Nobody ever mentions Bolle sunglasses but for the price they are good. I only know because a buddy of mine worked for Vista outdoors who owned them and got me a pair. Plastics lenses but I’ve liked mine…..and for the price if I drop them in the river I’ll only be mildly pissed off.

kabefisherman11

Oakley flak 2.0 shallow water prism. They’re awesome

David Blais

As said above, Costas are awesome. I lost a paid in Mills Lacs this summer. I ordered a new pair before I left the lake

reddog

I bought a pair of Costa 580g several years ago. I’m going to be the odd ball here, but I just don’t like them. Nothing against the sunglasses but toggling between them and my prescription lenses leaves a sour taste. Not only that, but I broke a frame. Sent them in and got a invoice for $187 to repair them from Costa.

If I were to spend that money again, I would go the prescription route before just buying “sunglasses”.

toothyfish

H3o makes some great glasses you can get for $35. I’ve personally never worn the Costas or any of the ridiculously expensive ones, but people that have still recommend the H3o over them. I like to musky fish(you want to be able to see extremely well to see the follows in musky fishing) in open water and a large number of the musky guys highly recommend them. If I remember correctly, the frames were $20 and the lenses were $15, just buy them out of the replacement parts section on their website.

Red Eye

Thanks for all the info guys. Was in Scheels today and tried on every different style of Costas they had in thr case. I really liked the Fantails. Now to do some price shopping.

FryDog62

Get the Costa “Trivex” lenses if you can. Clear as glass, as light as plastic, and won’t shatter like glass, or scratch as easy as plastic. Quality/clarity/durability is unmatched. I’ve had Oakley and Maui, for fishing – hands down Costa for me… my wife tried mine on and said looking through the lenses was like Prozac for your eyes..!

blackbay
    mn

I have a pair of Costa Wave Killer and Wiley X Ignite, Both are great glasses. The only thing I don’t like about the Wiley X is there isn’t any rubber on the ear piece. They still stay on really well though.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I bought a pair of Costa 580g several years ago. I’m going to be the odd ball here, but I just don’t like them. Nothing against the sunglasses but toggling between them and my prescription lenses leaves a sour taste. Not only that, but I broke a frame. Sent them in and got a invoice for $187 to repair them from Costa.

If I were to spend that money again, I would go the prescription route before just buying “sunglasses”.

I own multiple Costas and thou I think they may be the best sunglasses I’ve owned, don’t get fooled by their warrant…it sucks and it’s not what you think it is.

I’ll stick by Costas being one of the best (get green mirror for open water fishing) but if u are on a budge, guideline makes a wonderful pair of fishing sunglasses. I’ve actually compared the Costas I own with the guideline pair and the guideline actually has better vision cutting thru the water…but overall, land and sea, Costas are better. If you need a cheap pair to keep in the boat, get guideline.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Depending on the type of fishing you do, if you typically fish in a boat, polarized sunglasses are more of a hinderance than a benefit. You probably only benefit from the polarized lens 5% of the time. The other 95% you are obstructing your view of your electronics, through windows, gas pumps, etc.

If you’re a fly fisherman, by all means, go polarized. They’re a tool. Otherwise, it’s more of a hinderance.

I would love to find a high quality photocromic lens without polarization.

Just a thought before you spend $250.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.