Polarized glasses

• mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’m the exact same as the OP. I can’t spend more than $50 on a pair of glasses because when I lose them (which will happen) I would be so pissed. I have been using Strike King S11 shades for the last 2 seasons and they have been really nice. They are still a budget pair of sunglasses, but at around $40 they are polarized, have different lens colors to choose from and are designed by fisherman. They aren’t Costa’s or Oakleys, but if you want to save some money and not want to kick something when you lose them, these are pretty nice.

Cabelas also usually has them in stock.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’m the exact same as the OP. I can’t spend more than $50 on a pair of glasses because when I lose them (which will happen) I would be so pissed. I have been using Strike King S11 shades for the last 2 seasons and they have been really nice. They are still a budget pair of sunglasses, but at around $40 they are polorized, have different lens colors to choose from and are designed by fisherman. They aren’t Costa’s or Oakleys, but if you want to save some money and not want to kick something when you lose them, these are pretty nice.

Cabelas also usually has them in stock.

FryDog62

I had mixed results reading electronics with my polarized Oakleys… but see almost perfectly with my Costas. I don’t know if it’s the color of the lens (I have green mirror where the Oakleys were gray) or if it’s that the technology of polarization has improved, but I never have to take them off to read the screens anymore. In defense of Oakley, those lenses were 6-7 years old when I switched last year. Maybe they do the same now too…

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Another Costa fan here. I just bought my first pair (Blackfin) last summer with the 580g lens (gray silver mirror) and have been a big fan of them. I also felt the glass was a bit clearer over the poly lens when trying them on. I do not find the glass to be too heavy, honestly never even notice it.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I just got my first Costa’s this week. The glass lenses are great but I chose the wrong frame. The whole rig is exceptionally heavy/bulky. Corbinas. Ill make use of them but I plan to go back to the much lighter Smith model I recently lost and use the Corbinas sparingly.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

$1.20

I wear prescription glasses. It took me a very long time to make the FW pay the $600.
    In fact she’s still working it off. )

If they fell in, well I don’t want to think about it.

I bought mine at a Costa dealer in Red Wing and had them throw in a couple straps.

Joe Nguyen
    San Diego

I Love polaroid sunglasses which is affordable 60 bucks, but also 100% models have polarized lenses, helping me a lot when driving or fishing.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

I saw no benefits that outwayed the idea of having to worry about the investment. Then again I dont have the luxury of not thinking them as an investment. Codoes to them that it’s just an accessory that can be replaced nothing wrong with that.?

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Jimminy, I got my first smart phone this year for work i worry about breaking it. Still agonizing how i got these tiny spiderweb things on the corner.

MNBOWHUNTIN

Another vote for Costas here. My first pair of sunnies that I spent over 30$ on, well worth it.
    I can’t remember the model I ended up with, but tried them all on and went with what fit best. Went with the 580G green lenses.

The glass is a little heavier, but not noticeable after wearing a few times. The comfort factor alone of higher end glasses and not having ears and nose fatigued after a day on the water is well worth it.

I found mine online for 180$ I think, 2 years ago. I would think the end of the summer, should be some deals out there.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

I am on my second pair of Wiley X “Peak” polarized prescription glasses and I love them. I have had a couple sets of Costas, but could never quite find a pair that fit me the way I like, whereas this pair of Wiley X’s fits my face PERFECTLY. That being said, the lens quality was definitely a little better than my Wiley’s, but for me the trade off has been worth it. The Wiley’s seem to hold up quite a bit better with every day use. The frames are definitely tougher, and my buddy had a set of the Costa glass lenses shatter after walking into his fish house.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Lots of good brands listed. I’ve got Kaenon and Maui Jim’s. Had Smith years ago. Liked Costa’s just didn’t want any of their lens choices.

One bit of thought is that not everyone likes the same lenses. More specifically people have different tolerances for light transmission rates aka how dark they are.

Example: Found out that I was buying stuff too dark for me. Oakley’s with a very cool lens(copper with mirror finish) but 9% rated. Really only liked them for sunny days with snow.

Got Kaenon with Copper 12% lenses. Actually a pretty good all around choice. Polycarbonate so a plus for impact resistance.

Had some extra fsa money so got a pair for low light. Maui Jims with the green lens. That’s around 26%. Now that’s pretty much all I wear all day every day. On pure sunny sky and glass conditions is about the only time I don’t like them.

Moral of the story, check out different lenses on both sunny and cloudy conditions. your mileage may vary just like mine did

whytie
    Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

I have to give props to Costas for durability. I took a knee to the face playing ball, I expected my glasses to be shattered. There was only a tiny scratch to the lense and the frames are still 100%. My nose was crushed to the consistency of corn flakes. Here’s a side by side of before and after hahaha.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_5074.jpg

2. IMG_5121.jpg

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

I can’t bring myself to buy a pair of sunglasses over 25. I lose em too often, luckily other people do too so I have a decent stache of them on the dash of the truck waytogo

AnotherFisherman

I have a pair of Native sunglasses. Absolutely love them. I think they’re around $100

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

Do you guys lose $200 rods, reels, knives, guns? Once you have a decent pair you will value them more than $25 and take care of them just like anything else you value. They are either ‘on your face OR in a case’. Also one of the most important safety items in the boat as well.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’m old enough and responsible enough now to own my Costas. Like may others I’d only get $20-50 pairs before this point.

It’s funny that after wearing polarized glasses while fishing for 30 years I now realize they hardly ever came into play while fishing. Some circumstances they do let you see the fish.

My Costas cut reflection and improve contrast and clarity even not looking at water. They are worth it. When the water is clear and relatively flat with the glare reflecting at the right angle you see fish you can’t with the naked eye.

tim hurley

My cheapess from FF have built in cheater 1.5x at the bottom so I can tie knots. Can I buy a nice pair with something like that?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Do you guys lose $200 rods, reels, knives, guns? Once you have a decent pair you will value them more than $25 and take care of them just like anything else you value.

What he said. My wife always used that excuse. I bought her some Costas about 8 years ago now, and she still has them.

uninc4709

had Oakley Prisms, switch to Costa 580G and its not even comparable in my opinion. Do yourself a favor and get a set of the 580G lenses. Frame and build quality put the “big brands” to shame.

Deuces

I’m also a fan of Natives, get on discount websites for $40-50 every few years.

My nose must be more sensitive than most bc I hate the weight of glass.

Don’t want to have to worry about one more expensive thing on me breaking or scratching. Middle of the road works really well for me.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

My cheapess from FF have built in cheater 1.5x at the bottom so I can tie knots. Can I buy a nice pair with something like that?

Yes, my buddy said his Costas have cheaters built in. And has been mentioned, they can be ordered with prescription lenses with a bifocal.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I think when I get my eyes checked the next time I’m using the prescription and my HSA funds to get a second pair of Costas. I hate glasses, but it takes my astigmatism away, where contacts do not.

B-man

I was a gas station sunglasses guy for years and years. Always lost them, always broke them, etc.

Then I finally broke down and bought a pair of Costas with the 580G lenses.

Worth every penny. I’ve probably had them for 5-6 years and wear them all the time. I’ve probably dropped them 25 times over the years and they don’t have a single scratch.

Red Eye

Love all the feedback. Well I did break down and ordered myself a pair of Costa Fantails off ebay ($98) with 580p lenses. My one ear does get a little sore after a three day fishing trip and wearing them constantly. But other than that I really like them. I did put a scratch in the lense but that was totally my fault. Beauty of these is lenses are replaceable and easy to find. Might try 580g lense next.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Red Eye,
    Stop into any optometrist and ask for them to adjust them for you. They all do it for free.
    Even the glass store in Walmart.

You need a simple adjustment to be pain free whether it’s a 3 day weekend or a year.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’ll say the Costas I have are tight to my head, but not uncomfortable even after wearing them an extended period of time. And I still haven’t gotten a lanyard, so that’s a good thing.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

So it sounds like the Costas in the 580G lenses are the sunglasses of choice here. Does the color of the lens make a huge difference? They recommend the green mirror ones for freshwater use and the blue mirror for saltwater use.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’d go with the manufacturer recommendations unless you really don’t like green. I have blue, but fish inshore and I am supposed to have green. They still work. Don’t know how much better green would be or if it is significant enough to be much less than ideal.

tim hurley

Thanks S Dave-might have to buy some Costas

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.